Old 01-26-2007, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paddle shifters

is it possible to put paddle shifters in a m6 trans am
Old 01-26-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

umm...no. paddle shifters are on automatic transmissions. your manual six is a manual. ferraris have manual paddle shifters and some bmws but as you guessed, most those parts are not compatible. i was wondering if you could modify an automatic to use paddle shifters but i dont know if its been broguht up...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by 530transam
umm...no. paddle shifters are on automatic transmissions. ....
Not exactly....Many "exotics" have paddle shifters with manual transmissions and clutches.

Andrew
Old 01-26-2007, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

im a bmw tech and i hate the SMG trans found in m3, m6 5 and 6 seris. it completly takes the fun out of driving and you can shifter faster than a SMG. in BMWs they are actually 6spd trans with hydraulic motors to shift for you. i think they suck
Old 01-26-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

right i think i said that if you actually read my post. But we're not talking about any exotic. No gm has paddle shifters on a manual transmission and i dont know of any aftermarket kits that would modufy your transmission that heavily. Its a different type of transmission. My dad has a shop where they rebuild ferraris and an f1 transmission which is the manual w/paddles is a $36,000 option on a base 360 and the price has increased on the new f430. just an example. On the other hand, the m3's use an smg transmission thats a hybrid between both and is an expensive upgrade but i dont know how much they are. And none of these transmissions have clutches like the ws6. youd pretty much have to replace the transmission i think cause i doubt theres a kit that links little paddles down to your shift linkage so you can ease out a cluct wind up the rpms press in the clutch and click a paddle and then let out the clutch. No cars have that and i highly doubt youll ever see anything like this on any car ever exotic or not. the manual paddle shifting ferraris dont have a clutch its closer to a four wheeler than a trans am
Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
just wanted to show using this picture that there is no clutch. i realize not every car in the entire world is built like this cause im sure it will be thrown in my face but im using it as an example
Old 01-26-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
just wanted to show using this picture that there is no clutch. i realize not every car in the entire world is built like this cause im sure it will be thrown in my face but im using it as an example
Just because there is no clutch pedal it does not mean there is no clutch. The clutch in the Ferrari controlled by the ECU with actuators and hydraulics.

http://www.ferrariworld.com/FWorld/fw/index.jsp

Andrew
Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know all about ferraris clutch sytem my dad owns a ferrari shop.youre arguing about something that is so far out of context and your wasting time.
then answer is no you cannot put paddles in a manual trans am.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

i know all about ferraris clutch sytem my dad owns a ferrari shop.youre arguing about something that is so far out of context and your wasting time.
then answer is no you cannot put paddles in a manual trans am.
I am not arguing anything. Arguing would imply that we are expressing our opinions. You’re making broad statements that are false. I am correcting you.

The company that was showing the above setup for TKOs may possibly offer something for T56s.

Further more. The Aston Martin Vantage uses a paddle shifted T56:

http://www.astonmartin.com/eng/theca...age/sportshift

Gee....what transmission is in a Trans Am? There is a paralyzed racer competing in NASA who’s Mustang is fitted with the system from the Vantage. Is it a simple swap? No. Is it inexpensive? No. Is it possible? Yes.

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 01-26-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off , lets correct the corrector,its the Vanquish that has the automated manual transmission not the Vantage. It is a T56 in that car that is automated. There is no clutch peddle and the gear selection is dictated by paddel levers at the steering wheel.It can also be operated in a fully automatic mode.
Also to correct, the T56/ automated race car is a Mustang with a special T56 that is automated = it is a derivative of the Vanquish unit. It competes in the Speed World Challenge series piloted by Carol Hollfeler who is a pariplegic. A quadriplegic could not drive any car.
The BMW system may well suck because it is avery slow shifting system.BTW the latest M series automated manuals abandon the crappy BMW automation in favor of the Magneti Marreli system.The Aston Martin system is a Magneti Marreli system , like the Ferrari.
Q= can you "strap on" a Vanquish system to your trans am?
A= yes, if you show up with alot of cash and a buddy at GM that will share the LS1 engine code.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

There you go..now we are both owned...

Andrew
Old 01-27-2007, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

so its possible just with lost of money and ftw anything is possible with money, oh and my buddys lexis 1s 300 has paddles
Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What really muddies the water is there are automatics that have levers and buttons for shifting. They still have a shift schedule( if you dont shift, it will anyway) and limit what they actually allow the operator to do.
Yes, with enough cash and a friend at GM you can do an automated T56.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lame.

Just lame.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
Lame.

Just lame.
What the hell is the point??? If your to dam lazy to shift a m6 then you shouldnt own one.The rx8 has paddel shifters and they suck.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by notatruews6
What the hell is the point??? If your to dam lazy to shift a m6 then you shouldnt own one.The rx8 has paddel shifters and they suck.
100 millisecond shift time is the point (0.1 second).

Moral of the story: it can't be done easily. It will require a lot of work and $$$.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by notatruews6
exactly...

Quick Reply: paddle shifters