Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Popping out of 4th gear, 2nd as well I think; really cold out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping out of 4th gear, 2nd as well I think; really cold out.

On my way to work I noticed four gear was just popping out of gear, I believe 3rd and 2nd might of done it, but 4th really just popped out when as I was going to work. I was like 20 degrees out and I just drive normal like 2k rpm and under while the car warms up to 220. When it was fully warmed it seem to hold gears fine. Any clue why this happened, first time it happened and like I said I was just driving normal. It seemed like it just vibrated out of gear for some reason. It would be in forth for a few seconds and just pop, I might have been me not pushing the gear down enough but it happened a few times.

Any ideas? I was thinking about changing my fluid since the car most likely never had it done and its at 15k miles almost. My short shifter is tight and my stock base is tight to the tranny as well. I am going to check my tranny mount bolts and crossmember, because I changed to a poly mount about 5 months ago and never checked the bolts since then.

The last time I drove the car was last weekend and everything seemed fine it was slighty warmer then this weekend is the only change. Nothing was changed or touched since today.

Last edited by MdFormula350; 02-10-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

there may be nothing wrong..its cold and you might not be in gear all the way. if there is something mechanical wrong..it would sound like bent shift forks. if you have an aftermarket shifter with bump stops..it could be out of adjusment, just an idea. in your case, i wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

woops I was logged in on my friends account.

Last edited by 02BLKWS6MD; 02-11-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah it was completely fine on the way home like normal. I was getting pissing off because the car was %100 when I last used it.

Anyway it seemed temp related, but I do plan to change the fluid anyway.

Trying to save for a 12 bolt and cam some time soon, dont need the tranny acting up lol.

Thanks for your input. I will just let the car warm up even more, and maybe ur right I just wasnt getting it in all the way, it might of just been half in or something. It wasnt grinding just slightly notchy.

Worked great on the way home, even got on it a bit and held like a champ
Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car was parked outside, the body boot gets stiff and can affect how far you shift into gear. This is especially true if you leave the car in gear(I do) like 1st and when you shift into opposite gates like 2,4,6 , the boot "remembers that it was in 1st gear overnite. This can actually cause the boot to put a load on the shifter that pulls it out of gear.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah its outside and I leave it in first. I am not on a elevation so just leave it in neutral then? Never thought about that. I just watched it vibrate/move out of second and fourth like someone was pulling on it.