Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ordering a clutch by this weekend, please help me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ordering a clutch by this weekend, please help me.

ok i need to get a clutch and get it in my car, my clutch is GONE i start the car and there is a very loud clatter noise, like two pieces of metal slapping together.

i havent yanked the trans yet, but do you think if i just order a spec stage 3+ clutch i will be ok?

or are there any other things i need to order? i am kind of in the dark about clutches so ANY and i do mean ANY info will be appreciated.

and is there any sponsors with really good deals on spec clutches?

thanks alot.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Milner 810
i havent yanked the trans yet, but do you think if i just order a spec stage 3+ clutch i will be ok?
As you knew, this is a very basic quesstion. Yes, there are other things you need. Call a sponsor and ask what all you need. Take their advice.

I don't know of one sponsor being cheaper than the next. I use LS1Speed and Thunder Racing all the time. They will not try to sell you stuff you don't need.

Also, keep in mind when reading following replies expressing negitive views about SPEC, according to this site's polls (for what they're worth ), more than half the people on this site use SPEC in their street cars. That means (again according to polls, FWIW) SPEC is used more than all other clutches COMBINED.

My first clutch was a SPEC 3+. My next clutch will be one too.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do yourself a favor and get a LS7 clutch kit along with a new slave and updated master cylinder. You will be very happy with the clutch. You don't have enough hp to even come close to overpowering an LS7 clutch. If you want to drag race all the time then just buy stock in a clutch company, any clutch company because non of the clutches will last very long being abused that way.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Read,READ,READ, How much HP do you have or plan to have? Several sponors was running a spec sale and one is having a good ls7 sale. check them out!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

the Spec 3+ is a great clutch. I drove my buddies car with it the other day, and it feels pretty good. he loves it. But the 3+ may be a little overkill for your mods right now. If i were you i would look into the LS7 clutch like mentioned above. its cheaper and will easily hold your power. If you plan on more modding in the future and will be looking at over 450whp, then id look into the 3+

And i would also replace the slave with the updated version, as well as the pilot bearing.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the replys. i was almost set on an ls7 and then i read a thread where a guy was having big problems, and he said he wished he would have just bought a clutch that was made for his car, that threw the red flag for me. and i got scared of having problems with the ls7 kit.

i also plan on spraying the car in the very near future. so my hp level will be a lil higher than it is right now. and i will be putting the clutch in myself with the help from a few friends. are the installs pretty bad?

car will see the drag strip a few times this summer, not like every weekend, but im sure it will see its fair share of street races, and i do hammer on it once in a while so i know that any clutch is going to ware.

thanks for any more help i can get.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ram Powergrip HD
Old 02-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

anyone else?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKDZ28
Ram Powergrip HD
Trust me... you'll thank me later
Old 02-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

thats all well and good, but can you atleast tell me why? i havent read much if anything at all about that clutch. so whats it good for hp wise? feel? price? etc...
Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Specs have a lot of negative feedback because there are so many of them. (Even a 1% failure rate looks horrible if you have a million units in use.) The ls7 clutches have had issues with a bad run of pressure plates. The centerforce clutches seem to be ok up to about 450rwtq, where they fail miserably over that. Noone has disputed the gripping power of Ram clutches, but there are numerous reports of short duty life (under 3-5k miles). Mcleod and Exedy twins have their share of hard shifting issues reported, as will almost any dry multi plate clutch. The Tex clutches seem good overall, but many people got the initial run of improperly sized discs, and after that people got the knockoffs made by someone who used to work for them. The current run seems great, but would be WAY overkill for your application. The bottom line is THERE IS NO SURE THING. Go with a site sponsor who instills confidence in your purchase, and know that they should take care of any problems. There are plenty of people here with nothing better to do than bash retailers, so if you haven't read anything negative about the sponsor you choose, they are probably excellent.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John Milner 810
thanks for the replys. i was almost set on an ls7 and then i read a thread where a guy was having big problems, and he said he wished he would have just bought a clutch that was made for his car, that threw the red flag for me. and i got scared of having problems with the ls7 kit.

i also plan on spraying the car in the very near future. so my hp level will be a lil higher than it is right now. and i will be putting the clutch in myself with the help from a few friends. are the installs pretty bad?

car will see the drag strip a few times this summer, not like every weekend, but im sure it will see its fair share of street races, and i do hammer on it once in a while so i know that any clutch is going to ware.

thanks for any more help i can get.
Dont make your decision because of one thread you read. Try and find ONE clutch that was ever made for an f-body the hasnt had at least 1 thread about a problem with it. Seriously all vendors make mistakes every now and then, and people also make mistakes installing things. thats were most of the problems arise. Like i said before just because one or two people have had a problem with something, dont consider it a bad product.