Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter rattle?

A couple of weeks ago I installed a factory Hurst and a short stick in my Formy. Works great and is much better than stock. I had a Hurst "H" leather **** on it. Yesterday I switched to a speed inc black ball shift ****. Now under accelaration the shifter rattles like a bitch. Is it because I got rid of the rubber dmpener in the handle by switching to a short stick and now the black ball being hard plastic or whatever the heck it is, is actually amplifying every noise in the tranny? I also get a slight noise when shifting just before it goes into gear. Not a grind but a metal on metal type noise. I also noticed it with the Hurst **** as well but the windows have to be up with the radio all the way down to hear it. It is not very loud at all. It is normal or are my synchros starting to go? The tranny shifts and goes into gear perfectly fine, allthough the clutch is slipping some.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Well, I had the same issue and thought my car was fine and it is just normal noises. Then it made some really catastrophic noises that are going to cost me about $4K for a new clutch and entire rebuild including one of the main shafts. My car has 100K miles, had 96K when i got it. Is it tricky to get into third?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Like I said it shifts into every gear just fine. Every once in a while like maybe once every couple of weeks and only when the car is cold if I am rolling to a stop and I go to put it in third it will grind and not want to go into gear for a second which makes me think the 3rd gear syncro could be worn but other than that it shifts just fine every time. It has never not wanted to go into gear on acceleration no matter how hard I get on it.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Mine would go into gear ok too. Except third was tricky, you had to make sure it was all the way in third or else it would pop out. Mine only rattled in third adn some in 4th. If I rolled out of gear to a stop I would have top syncro the trans myself before it would go into first. My clutch would slip on hard accelleration. All my syncro's were chewed, shaft bad, cluth bad
I am not an expert, the guy at t56rebuilds.com is, Ask him, that is where you get your best answer. From my experience though, I would say it is time to have your trans looked at.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my shifter had a bit more rattle in it after I put in the WS6Store short stick, a few days ago I put in Cobrabob's t56 shifter gasket and it got rid of probably 90% of the sound. Basically it sounded like a can of marbles in 3rd or 5th gear.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SladeX
my shifter had a bit more rattle in it after I put in the WS6Store short stick, a few days ago I put in Cobrabob's t56 shifter gasket and it got rid of probably 90% of the sound. Basically it sounded like a can of marbles in 3rd or 5th gear.

Mine sounds like yours. JNSE06 it sounds like you had a lot more going on in your tranny than I do. Mine shifts perfect and never pops out of gear or anything. My clutch only slips if I rev hard it in third or 4th and dump the clutch. My syncros may not be the best but I don't think the tranny is about to blow up any time soon. Where do I get this gasket you speak of?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM CobraBob about them...he'll let you know.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Well I just pulled it all apart and everything was tight, no leaks, etc. I put the Hurst **** back and it barely makes a sound. I guess the hard plastic ball just resonates all the tranny noise through it. Too bad b/c I like the ****.

Quick Reply: Shifter rattle?