Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

The Myth of the Street/Strip Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The Myth of the Street/Strip Clutch

Joe got interested in drag racing and soon toasted his stock clutch. He replaced it with a new (Ram, Spec, Tex) clutch. The clutch was expensive but he told himself “do it right and do it once”. He also replaced his 10-bolt with a 12-bolt or 9-inch for even bigger bucks. He experimented with different tires, inflation pressures and launch speeds. As his ET improved he started to become dissatisfied with 1.7-second sixtys. Getting his sixty down became as important as lowering his ET. So he raised his launch rpm and smoked his tires. He worked on traction and launched harder. Eventually he was launching above 6k and cutting 1.5x sixtys. Then his fancy clutch started to slip. Cursing, he removed it and found it burned to a crisp. His formerly-beautiful billet flywheel was destroyed. He got fewer than 100 runs from a clutch he expected to survive anything he could give it. At this point in our story, smart guys either quit fantasizing about 1.4x sixtys or switch to an automatic transmission. Dumb guys don’t learn. We love our T56 and believe in the myth of the street/strip clutch. We believe the LS1Tech threads that bash our old clutch. We believe S was a **** – maybe R (or T) won’t betray me. Has there ever been a happy ending to this story?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fwiw, im on my first hi-performance clutch and it will be my last , whenever it goes....hello th400, (by your theory i guess im smart)
Old 07-05-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if eveyone thought like that everyone would just give up and we wouldnt even have the amazing clutchs we have now.

and the triple disk clutchs can do anything
Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats part of owning a stick shift. itjust comes with the funness of ripping through gears. Thats like whining cuz you never thought you'd have to change your GC 0W-30 oil again. LOL!