Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installing 95 Chevy 5spd Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing 95 Chevy 5spd Help!!!

Ok first off I have a bit of experience with trannys and I have done 3 clutch swaps and hydraulic work but only on fbodys with the concentric internal slave that sits on the input shaft of the t56. The vehicle I am working with now has a clutch fork and this is the first time I have worked with clutch forks. Well I'm putting in a clutch on my brothers 95 Chevy Truck. It has the TBI 350 with 5spd manual tranny. I've got everything done up until actually stabbing the tranny back in. This thing weighs about 300-400 pounds and has a cast iron housing. Here is my question though:

Should I stab the tranny and bellhousing as a whole or put the bellhousing on and then stab the tranny?

First off I realize that with something like my t56 is much easier to go bellhousing on and then tranny but thats when your t/o bearing is already centered on the shaft. The t/o bearing with this tranny sits in the clutch fork making it hard to be centered. I really hope someone can HELP me here. I have had the bellhousing on and tried stabbing the tranny multiple times but it is simply to hard this way. This transmission uses a clutch for the works with an external slave cylinder which is the way most of your older trannys work. It looks like if I attach the bellhousing to the tranny it will be easier. I already pulled the exhaust out of the way and will be giving it a shot trying the bh and the tranny together method. Thanks for any help...

Josh