Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Who has actual experience with the spec 3+ clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has actual experience with the spec 3+ clutch

Torn between this and the textralia. Tex is about $500-$600 more though.
Running about 440 rwhp
Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

14,XXX miles Clutch dumps from hell, road racing, daily driven in SoCal traffic for 13,XXX of those miles. Still going strong.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I JUST put mine in (100 miles so far) definitely cant say anything about longevity or performance but feel is excellent. Mine doesn't chatter even slightly.

William
Old 07-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have one in my personal car i like it, it drives like stock and holds at the track on slicks and a 5k dump
the pedal is a little stiffer than stock but not terrible, and i am at the same HP level as you
Old 07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love my 3+, little hard geting used to but it drives great once you break it in. Holds good too.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I have about 8k on mine and love it now. I would reccomend changing the slave even it it is a 01+ as mine took a **** after the clutch install.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Spec 3's are ******* terrible if you plan on dailying your car. I have a few friends who did about 3 cluthes in in a matter of months (all spec 3's). I would get the Ls7 clutch if you plan on doing any type of regular driving.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28fury
Spec 3's are ******* terrible if you plan on dailying your car. I have a few friends who did about 3 cluthes in in a matter of months (all spec 3's). I would get the Ls7 clutch if you plan on doing any type of regular driving.
Mine does fine daily driving it.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28fury
Seeing how we know nothing about the install and use of said friend's clutches I would chalk this up to nonsense.

I ran a spec 3+ on 600rwhp daily driven for over a year with no problems. The 3+ is a very nice clutch and a great step up from the 3.

With my new power levels ever rising I went with the 3+ twin disk because I was so impressed by the regular 3+.

Most of the people bitching about the Spec clutches were garage installs with reused parts. This is a key area of a high hp vehicle where you get what you pay for. The extra $$$ you save when getting the Spec you need to spend in a new master and slave for example. Once it's done and you drive it, if it doesn't feel right then adjust it until it's perfect. Once it's set you'll be able to lay into it without worry.

These are very grabby clutches just like any high hp clutch. If you want it to drive like stock then don't plan on making any more power. It's not possible for a clutch to allow much slip at these levels and have it last.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i put stage 3+ in 1500 miles ago and did a 430mile break in and dyno tuned with nitrous and still holds strongs after several pulls. i recently destroyed 3rd and 4th gear and now have a 6speed inc stage 4 on the way. vary happy with it and will buy it again.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Seeing how we know nothing about the install and use of said friend's clutches I would chalk this up to nonsense.

I ran a spec 3+ on 600rwhp daily driven for over a year with no problems. The 3+ is a very nice clutch and a great step up from the 3.

With my new power levels ever rising I went with the 3+ twin disk because I was so impressed by the regular 3+.

Most of the people bitching about the Spec clutches were garage installs with reused parts. This is a key area of a high hp vehicle where you get what you pay for. The extra $$$ you save when getting the Spec you need to spend in a new master and slave for example. Once it's done and you drive it, if it doesn't feel right then adjust it until it's perfect. Once it's set you'll be able to lay into it without worry.

These are very grabby clutches just like any high hp clutch. If you want it to drive like stock then don't plan on making any more power. It's not possible for a clutch to allow much slip at these levels and have it last.
Everything he said. I got a new slave, master, and spent the extra money on a billet steel flywheel. No problems with mine.

Quick Reply: Who has actual experience with the spec 3+ clutch