Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 - noise / vibration only at light throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question T56 - noise / vibration only at light throttle?

I've got a major noise / vibration only at highway speeds (4th, 5th or 6th) and only when at very light throttle settings. WOT or closed throttle and the noise goes away. Should I be looking at driveshaft balance or do I need to pull the tranny apart?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnot go off tearing in the tranny at first . At lower rpms at those speeds the car will make vibrations at lower rpms jsut from an assorment of vibrations .
Is there any other symptoms ?
If it is working wide throttle or closed I am sure it is something simple or just loose somewhere and is not hurting you .
Old 07-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Teching In

I dont' have any other symptoms, but I've only got 40 miles on the car after a complete drivetrain swap. I"ll do a bolt check tonight.

Is there any way to check the tailshaft bearing without disassembling the tranny?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of tranny mount are you running? Stock or poly?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Poly. 4 degree U-joint articulation back and front. I'm shimming both front and rear to 2degrees.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

is it kind of a metallic rattle noise? there are quite a few people with the same noise, most in cars with higher mileage. i was told in posts on three separate forums that GM had an issue with throwout bearings making noise, at least on the LT1 cars anyway, it's not a "problem," but if it is changed out with an aftermarket one the noise will go away. i get it alot at part throttle under load at low revs. of course yours could be a different noise, i'd have to hear it for myself to say it's the same one i've got.

Wayne
Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Teching In

It's not the typical metallic noise that seems to be pretty common with T56's. Many refer to that noise as gear rattle and I have some during light throttle settings. The noise / vibration is much lower in tone and greater in amplitude. It may just be a driveshaft out of balance, but I wouldn't have thought that a driveshaft balance problem could be turned on-off with throttle setting changes. However, it is only an issue at certain vehicle speeds and occurs in any gear about 40mph.

I have the driveshaft from my donor car with a damper on the slip yoke. I may get it cut to length and balanced and try that one.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

mine do the same thing when i am at a dead stop and off the clutch but when i put my foot on the clutch it goes away. and when i turn a corner and i am off the clutch it get louder and when i put my foot on the clutch it goes away. what could that be. I just put a 12 bolt in it like about 300 miles ago. changed the rear u joints and have a poly t-mount

Quick Reply: T56 - noise / vibration only at light throttle?