Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hydrolic woes! New master/slave problems

Old 07-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolic woes! New master/slave problems

I'm in the process of doing a clutch/hydrolic job on my '99. I've officially called it a night, for fear of what I might do to the car if I continued. (Not mechanically, but physically. Like beat the crap out of it.)

After a wonderful 45 minutes of obsenities and cursing GM, I got the master cylinder in. I plug it in to the slave to get it bled, push down the pedal and I hear squiiiiish. Squiiiiiiiish. Knowing that can't be good, I climb under the car. Sure enough, its coming from where the line meets the master. I did the drill mod, but everything was replaced as I found it. What could be going on with this? I'm sure I'll have to take the mother ****** back out.. hopefully I'll be less irritated tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it leaking fluid? There is a black seal that should be on the hose you did the drill mod too. If that's not in place that could be doing it. Did you prebleed the master cylinder prior to installing it in the car? That could also be causing the problem
Old 07-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Launching!

No, I didn't prebleed.. its a straight-from-gm master, I thought they came prebled. I'm almost positive that seal went back in, I do remember seeing it.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they do come pre-bled. If the fluid in coming from where the line meets the master I would check for the o-ring that goes on the line. It's either missing or all twisted up and not sealing properly. Also is the line to the slave all the way in? You would probably notice since the pedal would be very very stiff.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Its only leaking where that line goes in. I'm sure its gotta be that oring.. I'm just extremely irritated that I have to take that effing master off again.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by renxwar
Its only leaking where that line goes in. I'm sure its gotta be that oring.. I'm just extremely irritated that I have to take that effing master off again.
You think your irritated. I just pulled the tranny again for the third time due to some motherfucking leak comewhere in the slave!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the span of 3 weeks I've installed/removed my master 12 times...

I've gotten pretty good at putting on that u-bolt as a single person job. Just make sure as you are maneuvering it in there that the hydraulic line is tucked down towards the floor as not to cause you a bind or alignment issue when putting it back in. If you have air tubes still, I find it helps to make sure that is disconnected, you get plenty of space in that area on the driver's side with that out of the way. Also slide up the reservoir into its general vicinity, but not mounted while trying to get the u-bolt in. Having the 2 hoses pointing in the right direction helps a lot rather than trying to u-bolt it in then moving the two into their right places. Also note, if you manage to get one in with the other angled out, you will have a hell of a time. The trick is to get both threaded parts of the u-bolt pushed in just enough to get a nut on either of the threads, then slowly use the nut to pull the u-bolt on.

Search this Thread