Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Which shifter?
Pro 5.0
57.41%
B&M Ripper
14.81%
other (Please post which shifter and why?)
27.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Shifter Choice

Old 07-16-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default POLL: Shifter Choice

Pro 5.0 or B&M ripper. The B&M advertises adjustible stops, which I would like to have...is the pro 5.0 not equipped with these? Also, the pro 5.0 advertises their unique 2-3 shift mechanism that makes the 2-3 shift a breeze. Is this true? Is the Pro 5.0 2-3 shift a lot nicer than the B&M 2-3?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

search

this is personal prefance, so drive cars and see what YOU like. I can't vote witch is "better"

I have a Pro50 its notchy, but WOT shifting is great. it has stops. and the arm is short and angled in. They thread it extra far so you can cut it shorted if you want. I have .75 off mine.

the ripper dosn't have stops, and the arm isnt removable.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

well I could tell you to try a search but.......I will let you know from EXPERIENCE the Hurst Billet is the best BY FAR.....the B&M is straight up garbage, period. I had one and this little metal bushing that holds the spring up just broke for no reason, straight up piece of ****. I called B&M and they made me pay for the part when the shifter was less than a month old and they charged me $18 for this piece of **** part that cost them prob 2 cents. Now the Pro 5.0 is amazing quality, pure billet, no shitty little metal bushing holding the springs, BUT the springs are VERY WEAK, so unless you want to replace the stock springs inside of it or add some washers it will not return to center very well at all.....now after I sold these two shifters after less than a month of owning each one I went to the Hurst Billet......BY FAR THE BEST, amazing quality, nearly as good as the Pro 5.0 and it has super strong springs, going from second to third is so easy as the shifter will snap back to center after coming out of second.....the shifter is like butter.....others will have their opinions but I have owned all 3 shifters
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01FormulaTA
well I could tell you to try a search but.......I will let you know from EXPERIENCE the Hurst Billet is the best BY FAR.....the B&M is straight up garbage, period. I had one and this little metal bushing that holds the spring up just broke for no reason, straight up piece of ****. I called B&M and they made me pay for the part when the shifter was less than a month old and they charged me $18 for this piece of **** part that cost them prob 2 cents. Now the Pro 5.0 is amazing quality, pure billet, no shitty little metal bushing holding the springs, BUT the springs are VERY WEAK, so unless you want to replace the stock springs inside of it or add some washers it will not return to center very well at all.....now after I sold these two shifters after less than a month of owning each one I went to the Hurst Billet......BY FAR THE BEST, amazing quality, nearly as good as the Pro 5.0 and it has super strong springs, going from second to third is so easy as the shifter will snap back to center after coming out of second.....the shifter is like butter.....others will have their opinions but I have owned all 3 shifters
I have only used the Hurst Billet/Plus and i agree i love it!!! I have a short stick i may install on the shifter, but straight out of the box this has been an amazing shifter i am almost afraid to mess with it.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=KIR2001|0

any one used this. i have a 5.0 and it is wearing out. so i also am looking for a new one.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

The search option has been a POS lately, thats why I made a new thread, to get some good feedback before I drop $200 on a shifter that turns out to be ****. Also, I really don't know anyone else with an LS1 M6 that I could drive to test out shifters. So thanks for the feedback I will look up the Hurst Billet. Has anyone else had goodluck with this shifter?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Launching!

I love my Hurst Billet shifter. It returns to center like stated before and in my opinion has a stronger feel than the Pro 5.0 (just installed one for a friend). I like the fact that the hurst comes with everything you need. A new rubber boot cover, stopping bolts that are adjustable, the stick and even a ball shifter **** if you want to pay the extra $20. The Pro 5.0 just came with the shifter and stick, had to reuse the rubber cover on the car. I'm very satisfied with the Hurst Billet and wouldn't suggest anything else. 10 out of 10 rating
Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

get the Hurst Billet
Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Put me up for the hurst and lou's short shifter. it's got a great feel.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had pro 5.Didn't like it much. It also was very noisy when you floored it. I had hurst billet.It also was pretty noisy but it was pretty good. I went back to stock hurst. Its quieter but slightly notchy into second sometimes but think thats my tranny .I use penzoil synchromesh in there. When car is fully warmed up seems shifting is pretty smooth. I was actually thinking going to the b and m.But now not so sure after reading about the problem above. Was that the newest design of ripper. Usually hear good things about the ripper. Anyone else with one care to comment. Also since the b and m is single stick wondering how it is for rattling.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question: Does the thread patern on the Hurst Billet shifter match that of the stock hurst shift ****?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pro 5.0 with lou short stick, best shifa eva!!! It has adjustable stops but you dont need stops with the T56 anyway.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I had pro 5.Didn't like it much. It also was very noisy when you floored it. I had hurst billet.It also was pretty noisy but it was pretty good. I went back to stock hurst. Its quieter but slightly notchy into second sometimes but think thats my tranny .I use penzoil synchromesh in there. When car is fully warmed up seems shifting is pretty smooth. I was actually thinking going to the b and m.But now not so sure after reading about the problem above. Was that the newest design of ripper. Usually hear good things about the ripper. Anyone else with one care to comment. Also since the b and m is single stick wondering how it is for rattling.
I have had the B&M shifter in my car for years with no problems. The 2nd to 3rd shift is not all that great but overall I like the shifter, there is very minimal noise that I've noticed and I have no intentions of changing to another shifter. My .02.

Last edited by nostyta; 07-17-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PureWS6
Question: Does the thread patern on the Hurst Billet shifter match that of the stock hurst shift ****?
Yes I actually have the stock Hurst shift **** on my Hurst billet shifter.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by studderin
this is personal prefance, so drive cars and see what YOU like. I can't vote witch is "better"
/Thread.

On mine I have the opt Hurst with a LSS. I enjoy it.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PureWS6
yes it does. my leather wrapped "H" shift **** fit both the stock shifter and my Hurst Billet.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned

I have the Hurst Billet/Plus and love it. It's smooth and precise. Shifts are solid. And it's quiet as can be. I had the 5.0 before and hated it. It's real notchy and vibrates a lot and the older it got the more it vibrated. I've had the Hurst for about a year now and it's still like brand new.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pro 5.0 with the speed inc angled short stick

Ive been very happy with mine...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

lous short stick.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B&M Ripper, I've had mine for 3 years, love it. I like the blue base, shame you can't ever see it though. Kinda like making a nice shiny painted pressure plate, like I'm going to take the tranny out to show it off and say hey isn't it my cool lookin.

Search this Thread