Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Should curb weight of vehicle have an effect on clutch decision?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should curb weight of vehicle have an effect on clutch decision?

I'm finishing up building my LS1 to go in a 98 S10 and I wondered if weight of vehicle should effect my clutch decision in any way. It will be a H/C carbureted LS1 going in a pretty lightweight S10, at least compared to F-bodies. Will the fact that my truck is lighter make a difference when looking into clutches? If so, could you explain? Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curb weight has a huge impact on the overall drivability of any clutch, at least when looking at getting your vehicle off the line from a stand-still. A lighter vehicle will be much easier to drive with a heavy duty clutch, and even a light weight flywheel. It just puts much less stress on the whole assembly...so if anything, your clutch shopping should be easier than for someone that is putting the clutch in a full weight f-body like mine.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used the bigger steel mcleod flywheel and single disk clutch. This is behind sbc w/ t56. I don't know what it is like though, S10 isn't finished
Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Curb weight has a huge impact on the overall drivability of any clutch, at least when looking at getting your vehicle off the line from a stand-still. A lighter vehicle will be much easier to drive with a heavy duty clutch, and even a light weight flywheel. It just puts much less stress on the whole assembly...so if anything, your clutch shopping should be easier than for someone that is putting the clutch in a full weight f-body like mine.
Thanks for the help guys.