Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Will 440rwhp, 4.30s, & 5500+rpm launches balance the cons of an Aluminum flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will 440rwhp, 4.30s, & 5500+rpm launches balance the cons of an Aluminum flywheel?

Ok, it is time for a new clutch. My car has the following:

4.30 geared 9"
315 MT DRs
440rwhp and 410rwtq

I have had the car for almost 3 years and have not been to the track. I intend to take it a couple times a year from now on. It will not see a lot of track time, but when I go, I want a good number. I street race from time to time. Mostly, I just drive the car (I like to drive "aggressively" though).

I have an opportunity to buy a brand-new McLeod Street Twin with an aluminum flywheel for a good deal, but have heard some bad stuff about the aluminum. It offers great acceleration, response, and more hp, but the launches suck.

I have spent the last hour going through the archives and have not really come up with a final answer.

Would my gearing and 5500+rpm launches make up for it? Or should I get a new steel flywheel? Which one?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as the clutch holds and you can keep the rpms high enough to prevent bogging...it should be fine.

the hard part with launching is the feathering most have to do in order to get traction.
but if you can drop the hammer at 5500rpms and hook...the light flywheel should not be a problem.

its the guys trying to launch at 1800rpms that have problems