Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What tranny fluid for a T56?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For you RP users

From six speeds, inc.

: What transmission fluid do you recommend?

A: We use Mobil 1 ATF in all of our daily drivers. While Mobil 1 is what is desired some customers have trouble finding it in there locations. We also use GM Synchromesh. Royal Purple should not be used in a stock transmission as it has been known to cause premature blocker ring wear.

I was using RP for awhile but recently changed back to regular atf rp synchromesh was way smoother, I think now I'm going to try gm/pennzoil sycromesh. Regular atf is way notcher hopefully the gm/pennzoil sycromesh will take car of some of it.

Last edited by JonB; 08-31-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:41 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put Mobil 1 atf in mine and it seems to shift a little better now. Its not a holy crap difference just enough to notice it.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonB
While Mobil 1 is what is desired some customers have trouble finding it in there locations.
EVERY Wally World I've ever been to stocks it on the shelf (also the least expensive place to buy it). But I guess not every WM everywhere has to carry the same stuff.
Still a helluva lot easier to find than the GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh, and waaaay easier to find than GC motor oil!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Countless posts and two friends...but no experience of your own.

Instead of spreading internet folklore, do me a favor and try some yourself and see what you think. Only then will I count your post as an opinion worth anything. This is how internet rumors propagate.

I've used synthetic transmission oil for at least a year, and it shifts smoother with it than without. But that's MY experience (not my friend's, and not somebody's brother that posts over on another forum).

As long as it is Dexron III compatible, it should be fine.
Dude you're a dick.

I've been having some issues with my synchros, i think ill try some synchromesh.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use reguler Dextron 3 in all the tranny builds. I have personal experience with sythetics like RP and will never use them again.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have learned quite alot, from my earlier post. I went with pennzoil Synchromesh, works slick as ****!! I would totally recommend, you can get it at Autozone, buy 4 bottles
Old 02-04-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Countless post here and 2 friends who used syn tranny fluid exp tougher gear shift with it, went back to regular ATF and was fine.

Maybe you just dont notice it as much. Its been 5 years.
I don't think this is valid, Aaron. Ron currently uses Royal Purple and his car is the smoothest shifting car I've ever driven (and have you ever seen him shift? NO hesitation whatsoever). And my shifting issue at high RPMs most likely has to do with a clutch disengagement problem, not a transmission fluid problem. At low RPMs, it shifts fine.

Let us know how yours does at high RPMs when you feel like really giving your new clutch a real workout with some 6000 RPM shifts through multiple gears. I'm curious to see if you have issues or not.

That said, I have recently read bad things about Royal Purple from Six Speeds Inc regarding blocker rings, which would eventually cause trouble shifting if it damages the blocker rings. I think I'm going to start using the Mobil 1 ATF like they do.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 02-04-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I don't think this is valid, Aaron. Ron currently uses Royal Purple and his car is the smoothest shifting car I've ever driven (and have you ever seen him shift? NO hesitation whatsoever). And my shifting issue at high RPMs most likely has to do with a clutch disengagement problem, not a transmission fluid problem. At low RPMs, it shifts fine.

Let us know how yours does at high RPMs when you feel like really giving your new clutch a real workout with some 6000 RPM shifts through multiple gears. I'm curious to see if you have issues or not.

That said, I have recently read bad things about Royal Purple from Six Speeds Inc regarding blocker rings, which would eventually cause trouble shifting if it damages the blocker rings. I think I'm going to start using the Mobil 1 ATF like they do.
Rons trans was also rebuilt with no checking of tolerances, I bet its loose because he wasnt following the specs. I know I was there.

As state Six Speeds dont recommend it (royal purple), countless post of people having issues with fluids and I just posted saying that I learned alot and ive gone to regular non syn fluid and works fine.

BTW, I took her out this morning, 3 dead stop WOT 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and even 4-5 @ 4:45 this morning on Rt 691 and no issues. No grinding, very positive clean shifts. NO dead pedal
Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Here we go again.

I have used only Dextron fluid in 2 different F-bodies for 13 years. This recommendation is printed on a lable on the bottom of the factory GM tranny.

Apparently, the stock sycro/blocker rings in a T56 are coated with a non-metalic material that can deteriorate if exposed to some of the additives contained in certain synthetic lubricants. So, some synthetics are OK, others are not.

To be safe, you can't go wrong with Dextron. I think "Dextron 3" is no longer sold but a newer version of Dextron is widely availible for use in our gear boxes.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

amsoil with no prob's,and u can get it on the right
Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Royal Purple Synchromax makes my t56 shift like a warm knife through butter
Royal Purple Synchromax makes my t56 shifts like me eating on some damn cheetos. F*$& Royal Purple thats why i'm spending 1200 dollars on my tranny right now!!
Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to Autozone and no pennzoil!
But they had a noname brand dextronIII/merconIII bottles, is all dextronIII the same or should I get Pennzoil
Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running non synthetic dex III in my tranny! the owner b4 me claims he was using M1 fluid only in the car and including the tranny, after i switched to non syn chevron dex III i felt a smother shift!! it could also have been that the old fluid was dirty, dident look to dirty tho, now since i have a third gear grind at high rpm, im thinking about switching to syncromesh!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Launching!

my syncros make alittle noise, so using a syncromesh fluid will cure that noise? and how much fluid does a t56 hold? don't have owners manual.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Ive been using royal purple for a couple years now and have had no problems like some people are having. I was also told that the blocker ring problem was on 2000 and down t56's and that the 01 and up was ok to use. but, I could be mis informed.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by colews6
my syncros make alittle noise, so using a syncromesh fluid will cure that noise? and how much fluid does a t56 hold? don't have owners manual.
4 quarts!
I just changed mine, and I used Castrol ATF for DEXIII transmissions.
NON synthetic, atleast it didnt say that on the bottle. LOL
Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by litle88
4 quarts!
I just changed mine, and I used Castrol ATF for DEXIII transmissions.
NON synthetic, atleast it didnt say that on the bottle. LOL
Ditto, its good stuff! What ever you do though make sure its not synthetic.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Ditto, its good stuff! What ever you do though make sure its not synthetic.
That is the concensus around here!
thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Teching In

I replaced my fluid at 78,000 miles with Amsoil Synthetic Synchromesh. 2000 model T-56.

Honestly could not tell a bit of difference other than shifting when it
was really cold outside (25 or so degrees). Is just a hair smoother when cold.

Didnt know about the blocker ring problem, hmm may change it back, dammit that **** is expensive!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No Rp Syn.

I USED RP SYN WITH C/F SYNCHRO BUILD UP AND IT RUINED MY CARBON FIBER SYNCHROS.CHECK WITH AMBER AT T-56 REBUILDS OR D&D PERF.USE DEX 3 OR MOBILE 1 ONLY.NOW I AM LOOKING AT A $700.00 FIX .'72SS CAMARO LS1 6SP,MS3,TSP 5.3'S,4:11'S,11.58 AT 119MPH,1.65 60'

Quick Reply: What tranny fluid for a T56?