Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 with Fidanza Aluminum CRAZY NOISE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 3 with Fidanza Aluminum CRAZY NOISE?

Has anyone had this combo? Yes of course...

Everything is new at this point with 500+ miles EASY break in. No shifting over 2200 rpm period. In the morning I can back out and from a dead stop if I pull forward in 1st gear something is making a god awful noise. It only happens once when it's dead cold. I can't get it to make the same noise twice until it has cooled for at least 3 hours +

I'm going to post a vid later..

Anyone had this happen?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 PM
FormerVendor

Dee, what does the noise sound like? I know that noises are hard to describe but perhaps the vis will help. There are two potential that would cause sound. Once is chatter, which is ths sound of the disc skipping across the face of the flywheel as the unit is beginning to engage (this will generally go away with break-in miles and perhaps you need to pic up the aggressiveness of your break-in as you seem to describe having been overaly easy thus far).

The other possible sound could be coming from the disc (which is a carbon semi-metallic) scuffing the face of the flywheel as it is engaged (this will not have the shutter associated with chatter, though it can have a bit of honking or "metal-on-metal" sound when the friction material is cold). Either of these sounds would certainly be more prevalent when cold than when hot. Either way...neither is inherently evident of an issue. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

hey thanks for the reply. I swear I'm going to get video of it.

It is more like your "metal on metal" sound for sure.

It was suggested by SPEC to start off in 2nd and see if the noise is still there.... =?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

It is usually a bit longer, but it just happens the way you let out the clutch.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HQbWSU1SOEw

Full screen
http://www.youtube.com/v/HQbWSU1SOEw&rel=1
Old 10-23-2007, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

bump help
Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 PM
FormerVendor

It does look like it is happening during engagement. That being said, I am a little perplexed. It could be the sound of the disc scuffing the flywheel during engagement. The fact that it doesn't happen all the time though would indicate that it is is likely temp-related as you indicate above. This is my thought...if you see any further change let me know. Now that you have it broken-in start picking up the pace a bit and see if there is any change. The other option is take it out and send me some pics and I will be happy to see if there is anything that stands out. Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

It wouldnt happen to sound like a Loose belt slipping. My spec 3/alum flywheel started doing that around the 500 mile mark. It would do it once or twice then go away. I just chaulked it up to being the disc.

John
Old 10-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Teching In

I have a Cartek clutch with Fidanza flywheel and mine does the same thing, even worse sometimes. It only does it in first or if I ride the clutch too long going into 2nd. The only time it goes away completely is during/after running the car hard. FWIW I just thought it was because of the aluminum flywheel.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
It does look like it is happening during engagement. That being said, I am a little perplexed. It could be the sound of the disc scuffing the flywheel during engagement. The fact that it doesn't happen all the time though would indicate that it is is likely temp-related as you indicate above. This is my thought...if you see any further change let me know. Now that you have it broken-in start picking up the pace a bit and see if there is any change. The other option is take it out and send me some pics and I will be happy to see if there is anything that stands out. Thanks!!
Srry to crash your thread but a have aquick question,Does spec offer warranty with their clutches/if so how long? thanks...
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

Our warranty is 120 days from the date of purchase and it covers manufacturing and materials only. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

that sound is 100% IDENTICAL to the sound the my spec 4/fidanza makes.

it didn't start till i was 1K miles into the clutch...very easy breakin.

and it happens EXACTLY like you say....only when cold....fine in reverse...doesn't happen again till it cools all day.

since it started happening...i've had the clutch out for a broken slave....no visible problems with the flywheel, disk or PP. wear on the disc was even minimal.

chatted with SPEC-01 about it at the time....seems to be the "issue" with the disc scuffing for sure.

one thing i have noticed.....if i let the car warm up for a LONG time....5min+...it doesn't do it.

definatly a temp thing...

friction is a funny thing....as is most of physics
Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this "strange" problem. Matt over at SPEC has been a great help. He's told me that they have never heard of this noise before. Maybe once or twice on a STAGE 5, but never a 3 or 4. Wayne over at Fidanza has helped me out too, but in a nut shell he blames it on the ceramic that Spec is using. Matt told me they don't use ceramic any longer. Both are willing to help, but what can they do without me taking this thing apart again?

New video here....MUCH LOUDER IN REAL LIFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpP8ZXJoz74
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have spec 3 and Fidanza flywheel and mine does same thing when its cold.......it just needs to warm up
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

But can you get this thing to make the same noise 4 or 5 times in a row?

Highway travel for 5 miles then pull off the exit to a complete stop and it makes the nosie again?

I've had one of these in my car 3 other times and never heard the noise after about 100 miles into the break in.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine only does it once, when everything is cold....its a little screetch
Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

I have spec 4 and Fidanza flywheel and mine does same thing when cold.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

sometimes mine does it a 2nd time if i come to a quick stop...pull forward out of my parking lot...stop at the edge of the lot...then pull forward again.

if i REALLY try to slip the clutch...not easy with the spec 4...in a tight parking lot...it will do it even when warm.

and like i said...mine didn't do it untill 1000+ miles into the clutch...about 5K on it now.
and like i said, i had it apart for other reasons and it seemed fine.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

i have a cartek with a stock resurfaced flywheel, and that is the same exact noise i get, but when i beat on it, its stops doing it.....this has been driving me nuts for a while, glad to see that this is commen.....mine has about 5k on it and it still grabs hard, must be a temp. thing like stated above, because now that its getting colder here, its worse
Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Strange.....It's been SLIGHTLY cooler in FL....and I been raggin on it much harder...

I haven't heard the noise in a few days....

I'm sure it'll come back.......

Quick Reply: Spec 3 with Fidanza Aluminum CRAZY NOISE?