Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

touble getting into reverse: fuse or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default touble getting into reverse: fuse or rebuild?

My car doesnt like to go into reverse. I shove it in and most of the time it wont go in. I can get it into reverse with a bit of a shove and if i let off the clutch(not needed all the time but seems to help) Anyway, I was browsing some threads and some ppl suggested it was the fuse for the reverse lockout solenoid... could this be the case or am I looking at a rebuild in my future?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

How does your clutch fluid look. Is it clear or black. Have you changed your Transmission fluid. If your running the stock clutch how many miles do you have on it. The clutch may not be dis-engauging all the way. I would look at these things as well.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lockout allows the shifter to go all the way over to the reverse gate...if the shifter goes all the way to the right when you're stopped and the ignition is on, then the lockout isn't your problem (it has no effect on moving forward in the gate to engage the gear).

I've seen a LOT of T56's get finicky on entering reverse as they accrue some mileage...the reverse synchro is not lined with friction material like the rest of them, but it IS double sided. What I mean is, 1 synchro handles 1 and 2, 1 synchro handles 3 and 4, 1 synchro handles 5 and 6, then the last one just handles reverse and has nothing on it's other side. You can take the tranny out and stand it up on end, and with some minor dissassembly, you can get in there far enough to flip the reverse synchro over (exposing new fresh teeth to the gear) and it's just like having a new one, unless someone else already did that once before...in which case you need to replace it.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...but use the T56 manual (you can download it free from Tremecs site) if you are going to open the tranny up at all...and use a quality sealant when you put the case back together...and give it time to set before you pour fluid in...otherwise you'll be opening it back up to fix a leak...or running bearings/gears dry and causing some real damage.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

the fuse box under ur hood, its the eng. sens. fuse, i think its rated at 20amp

Quick Reply: touble getting into reverse: fuse or rebuild?