Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question about Pilot Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about Pilot Bearing

Hello,

I recently did a motor swap too my car. The motor I swapped in was from an automatic car. So when I purchased my LS7 clutch kit, it came with a pilot bearing. Now upon further inspection my pilot bearing looks completely different from the one that was in the original motor.

My car is a 99 and the pilot bearing was seated all the way back in the small insert in the crank shaft. Now this new pilot bearing takes up the whole big insert.

Unfortunately I do not have a camera phone nor do I have a digital camera so I cant take pictures.

So did gm redesign the pilot bearing between now and 1999 for the LSx motor and from the description I gave you, is my current pilot bearing fine to use?

OBTW I got the clutch from byunspeed. I don't know if this information would help or not.

Tilly
Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I did a little bit more reading. There is the pilot bearing which sits in the back of the crank and you have a pilot busing. And so what I have described is the pilot bushing and not the bearing.

Please I need some answers, my car has been sitting for almost a year and I need this information to finish it.

Tilly
Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

...your using a flywheel for a manual not auto transmission; right? So you bought:

1. flywheel
2. bearing
3.clutch disc
4. pressure plate
5. slave
6. master

???
Old 11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes, but the motor is from an automatic and it does not have the flexplate on it but I needed to install a pilot bearing to it. But the pilot bearing that i recieved was different from the one that was in my old motor.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the new bearing that came with your clutch kit. Your old bearing is most likely worn and in need of replacing anyway, and it's good practice to change it with a clutch swap......they're just kind of a bitch to get out sometimes. Make sure the side of the bearing with the fillet faces the transmission.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

The motor I put in my car was from an automatic, so i didnt have a pilot bearing in this one. So i put the Pilot Bearing that i got from the kit. But this bearing didnt look like the bearing in my old motor, it looks like a bushing.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Launching!

I'm guessing he has a brass bushing instead of a bearing.

Me I never trusted the bearings...figured it was more to **** up and scar the input shaft. With a brass bushing the brass will be scarred before the input shaft....
Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whyte95ZRida
I'm guessing he has a brass bushing instead of a bearing.

Me I never trusted the bearings...figured it was more to **** up and scar the input shaft. With a brass bushing the brass will be scarred before the input shaft....
WERD!

you can use either bushing or bearing. I also prefer the bushing b/c it never really "goes bad" it just gets wallered out.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

It also looks like it is an easier removal process.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah...if you go to a parts store for the bushing don't bother telling them its for an ls1 camaro..it won't show them ****. Tell them its for a 77 chevy 350 with a four speed...gm has used the same size pilot bushing/bearing since the beginning of TIME!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whyte95ZRida
Oh yeah...if you go to a parts store for the bushing don't bother telling them its for an ls1 camaro..it won't show them ****. Tell them its for a 77 chevy 350 with a four speed...gm has used the same size pilot bushing/bearing since the beginning of TIME!!!

good info to know seeing that i didn't know that.

Quick Reply: Question about Pilot Bearing