Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave cylinder?? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave cylinder?? Help!!

ok, so i get back form a long cold day of work and start my car. i let it run for a quick sec as i put my work cloths in the trunk. i go to put in reverse...no prob...then start backing up slow and it start making this rubbing/clunking noise and feels like the clutch is catching hard. so i immediately push the clutch in and take it outta gear. go into reverse again and it does it again but not as bad. so im driving now cars warmed up and i come to a stop light. got the car in neutral and the clutch out. then i notice that rubbing noise again so i push the clutch pedal in and it goes away, so i let the clutch out and it comes back...then as fast as it happened the noise is gone. light turns green and i off drive careful cuz i know something is a miss. not far from the light i hear the noise again. so i take it outta third and hold the clutch this time. noise goes away. but now i cant get it back into any gear. so i roll into a parking lot and pump the pedal and the gears come back. get out look for leaks, missing parts, noises...etc. nothing as i can see then. get back into the car, start it, and drive home. seems like choice times it wants to make that rubbing/clunking noise and make me paranoid that its not gonna move. but i get it home and jack it up to get a better look at things. i checked everywhere for leaks, etc. but nothing. im boggled. i dont know much about the tranny side of the car and am asking for any opinion/suggestion. please! thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Slave and throwout bearing would be my best guess. How many miles are on the master cylinder and slave cylinder? When did you last change the transmission fluid?

Amber
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Teching In

the car has 40K miles and i havent touched the tranny fluid. i changed out the clutch fluid with dot-4 cuz it was dirty. that was bout 2 months/2500 miles ago. im good about not shifting over train tracks, bumps stuff like that.

Last edited by FL billabong; 01-16-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm... for whatever reason the manual says DOT 3 only.

how did you change out the fluid?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BadGTho

I would like to know too!
is there a specific way to?

Last edited by litle88; 02-04-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

throw out bearing took a dump
Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadGTho

You can used DOT 4 with DOT 3 as they are compatible with each other.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

dot 4 is synth, dot 3 is not... how did u change the fluid and how long ago? I'm thinking air in the system..... course, I would need to hear and look at it do give deffinite answer....hope this helps....
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litle88
I would like to know too!
is there a specific way to?
it was a retorical question... he may have done so incorrectly and allowed air in.

2 ways:

1: use a turkey baster to suck out 90% of what's in the master cyl... then refill, have an assistant pump the clutch several times and repeat until the fluid looks pretty clear. DO NOT pump the pedal when the reservoir is low.

2: bleed out the clutch through the slave's bleeder manually or with a power bleeder.... more thorough, but more of a PITA/.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Teching In

i used a syringe for a 2 cycle fuel mixer to get the fluid out. works good to change the resevior fluid but not the whole system. the best way to completely flush the system is to bleed it from teh valve that is tucked up there. i changed the throw out bearing and the noise went away for a lil bit but when its really cold out it still makes that damn noise... when i changed the bearing my clutch pedal went from the top half to the bottom half. felt stiffer, and grabbed quicker i guess what im trying to get across. i put dot 4 in the resevoir when i changed that fluid out but when i bleed the whold system i put dot 3 just cuz thats what i had in the garage.

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder?? Help!!