Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Have a question about clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a question about clutch slipping?

Hi,

I just picked up an 02 ws6 with about 48k miles on her. I've been driving her around and the clutch feels strong and I can can goose in all the gears and no slippage occurs. I can even put it in 5th or 6th at low speeds and goose it and clutch still doesnt slip. But I went to kick it in first gear for a burn out and tires spun up real quick, so I shifted to 2nd and rpms came up but just the clutch was burning no tires. I have probably tried it 4 times within 2 weeks and half the time it will spin them and the other half I see the rpms come up real fast and I let out of it and can smell clutch. But yet it drives fine and just seems when shifting in a burn out it slips real bad. I've been searching in the archives and haven't really found any answeres besides maybe the drill mod will work and maybe adjusting the mc. Car is all stock except for Cat back. Any help is appreaciated thanks.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Teching In

also has a brand new stock clutch installed about 2k miles ago at the dealer from the other owner.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shifting through a burnout is gonna put a lot of stress on the clutch if you don't do it quickly (and even if you do) because the tires are going to stop spinning VERY quickly. It's possible this could be the first signs of the clutch going and by continuing to do it, you are killing it more quickly. Or perhaps the stock clutch just isn't up to the burnout shift. Never done it on a stock one. Either way, I'm sure you're hurting it more by continuing to do it. Why do you need to shift to second during the burnout on a stock car? Do you have drag radials or are you just messing around in a parking lot?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stocker can barely handle stock power. If you continue to shift it while burning out EXPECT to replace it very soon. That's a brutal way to kill a clutch.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Teching In

ok, i just wasn't sure if something was wrong on the hydraulic side of things. But if its normal on a stock clutch then thats good to know. And yes i was just screwing around in a parking lot with regular street tires. I just figured it could handle the 2nd gear shift, but oh well. I'll stop that till i get a ls7 or spec 3 clutch. thanks for the response

Quick Reply: Have a question about clutch slipping?