Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How can I quite down a PRO 5.0 shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How can I quite down a PRO 5.0 shifter?

I jus installed a PRO 5.0 in my T56: shifting gets much better than the stock Hurst shifter but... it's NOISY!
They want you to cut the boot and let the upper part of the shifter look into the console. This let you hear every little noise coming from the tranny, each gear sounds diffeent

Is there a way to quite it down?

It isn't the stick: I replaced the PRO 5.0 original stick with the stock one (with the rubber insulator). THe noise didn't change: it's not from the stick, it's directly from the shifter
Old 03-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A gasket set from www.fbodyshiftergaskets.com helped quiet down my B&M Ripper noticeably.

Maybe you just didn't get a good gasket seal w/ the RTV I assume you used to start with. Might just remove it and lay down a better RTV bead/give it longer to cure before attaching the shifter.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To keep the noise down, let the RTV dry up a bit before torquing it down. This will allow a thicker gasket to form rather than the traditional ultra thin one which pretty much transfers all the noise.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!
This of lettingthe RTV cure before torquing the shifter is like a thick gasket, makes sense.
What about the bolts? They will transfer the vibration too. Have you tried to put a thin rubber insulator between the bolt head and the shifter?

If I put a gasket, how thik should it be? I assume that the distance tranny-shifter can't be modified a lot...

Stefano
Old 03-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Banned

make ur own gasket or let the rtv dry a bit it would work
Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard good things about that gasket in the link from post #2.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Teching In

sell it and get a hurst billet the pro 5.o has and always will be an issue.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

If your not banging gears hard on the street you can adjust the stops all the way out. It still makes more noise than stock but takes away the clinking. Honestly though, if that little bit of noise bothers you then your exhaust or stereo is not loud enough. I have driven stock cars that made almost the same amount of noise.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...what everyone else said. There is no way that shifter should make so much noise that it bothers you. I used a piece of rubber from the local hardware store. It was for a plumbing application and came with two 6x6 pieces in diff. thicknesses. Cut out a quick gasket, but alittle rtv on both sides, let it set up some, and put it in. I get no noise from mine, and I dont have any sound deadening under my console.

Just turn the music up... Or get a cut out

J.

Edit...Actually I took pics... haha..Ive taken so many I forget what all I have. The reason I left so much material in the middle was so the gasket would deform as little as possible when I put it on. No way for it to miss its target sealing surface.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice gasket!
I did the same last night but I stripped a thread in the tranny...
Let me install some Heli Coil and reinstall the shifter.
I'll post about the result.
I'll put a similar gasket betwee the gold ring and the aluminum part too (with some spacers for the springs).
Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine had a stripped thread too...before I got it when it had the B&M ripper on it. I put in a heli coil when I installed the Pro 5.0. I have pics of that too.... haha.

I didnt have my gasket punch set when I made the gasket. I think its misplaced at another garage. But...I took an old socket with the righ I.D., and sharpened the edge and hit it with the hammer to make nice holes.

J.

The opening is sealed off better than the pic leads you to believe... no chips in my trans... Heli's are easy to put in, and it worked great. Just dont try to torque the shifter bolts to 100ft-lbs or something.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha! my first impression was "who the hell tooke a pic of my heli coil job?"
My thread repair looked exactly the same: with a paper towel in the hole to keep the metal rests out
Heli coils are a grate thing, a fortune that we had them in the shop (it's a M8 thread).

About quiting the PRO 5.0 (look at the pics):
I put a 1 mm gasket between tranny and shifter
I put a 1 mm gasket between bolts and shifter
I put a 1 mm gasket between the "gold" ring and the shifter
I put the boot of the original shifter around the "gold" ring
I modified the stock stick to fit the PRO 5.0 shifter
And it's quite as stock! I can hear nothing, absolutely nothing.
The stock stick isn't floppy at all: the rubber bushing is there just to eliminate vibrations and noises and doesn't make shifting worst.
Attached Thumbnails How can I quite down a PRO 5.0 shifter?-shifter.jpg   How can I quite down a PRO 5.0 shifter?-boot.jpg  
Old 03-22-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Yeah...what everyone else said. There is no way that shifter should make so much noise that it bothers you. I used a piece of rubber from the local hardware store. It was for a plumbing application and came with two 6x6 pieces in diff. thicknesses. Cut out a quick gasket, but alittle rtv on both sides, let it set up some, and put it in. I get no noise from mine, and I dont have any sound deadening under my console.

Just turn the music up... Or get a cut out

J.

Edit...Actually I took pics... haha..Ive taken so many I forget what all I have. The reason I left so much material in the middle was so the gasket would deform as little as possible when I put it on. No way for it to miss its target sealing surface.

That what I did too! Except I got some stuff from Kragen.

Quick Reply: How can I quite down a PRO 5.0 shifter?