Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what adjustable master cylinder should i get

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what adjustable master cylinder should i get

i put a spec stage2 clutch in last fall and my pedal engagement is on the floor. i need to get it back up top so its user friendly. as soon as i start taking the pedal off the floor it takes off. its not fun to drive and can't shift fast either. did anyone else use a spec stage2 and have the problems?

what adjustable master should i go with?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe you have to use a shim with the Spec clutches. Correct me if I'm wrong. There is another problem here I think.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _JB_
I believe you have to use a shim with the Spec clutches. Correct me if I'm wrong. There is another problem here I think.
yes you do have to use a shim with the spec clutch. i installed it behind the slave. it didn't help much though and now when i push the pedal in i have to have it all the way to the floor in order to shift. i was gonna attempt to bench bleed it in car and see where that gets me. i still have full travel of the clutch pedal but no engagement until down low
Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put a RAM in my C5, and I love it. Shifts much smoother now.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I just put a RAM in my C5, and I love it. Shifts much smoother now.
is it much to fab up to make it work? i've seen something about having to grind something to get it hooked up?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same exact issue you did with the same exact clutch. Installed the shim, properly bled, installed the RAM adjustable master and the clutch was still dragging. It ruined my clutch. I then replaced nothing but the pressure plate, friction disc, and flywheel, and it now works perfectly (went with a Textralia).

The adjustable master works well for most people, but my issue was most likely with the clutch itself, so it didn't help me (although, it's nice to have it now).

The RAM is basically a stock OEM piece with an adjustable rod welded on. I recommend it since most clutch manufacturers seem to recommend the OEM master and nothing else.

Regarding your quesion about grinding: the "eye" on the rod end that the little stud slides through from the pedal itself is too wide on the RAM units, so you just need to grind it down to make it thinner (I would say less than an 1/8 of an inch or so, just a guess as I didn't measure when I did it). Otherwise, the stud doesn't push out the other side of the hole far enough and the retainer clip won't clip on to hold the rod to the pedal.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I had the same exact issue you did with the same exact clutch. Installed the shim, properly bled, installed the RAM adjustable master and the clutch was still dragging. It ruined my clutch. I then replaced nothing but the pressure plate, friction disc, and flywheel, and it now works perfectly (went with a Textralia).

The adjustable master works well for most people, but my issue was most likely with the clutch itself, so it didn't help me (although, it's nice to have it now).

The RAM is basically a stock OEM piece with an adjustable rod welded on. I recommend it since most clutch manufacturers seem to recommend the OEM master and nothing else.

Regarding your quesion about grinding: the "eye" on the rod end that the little stud slides through from the pedal itself is too wide on the RAM units, so you just need to grind it down to make it thinner (I would say less than an 1/8 of an inch or so, just a guess as I didn't measure when I did it). Otherwise, the stud doesn't push out the other side of the hole far enough and the retainer clip won't clip on to hold the rod to the pedal.
so what am i to do? i don't plan on putting a different clutch in when i have already spent a fair amount on this one... i can't believe they have this shitty of a design that they are all like that.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

I would give Jeremy at Spec a call. If there are any possible solutions or troubleshooting methods, he will be the one that knows and can help you out. I would imagine if there is actually a problem with the clutch, he'll want you to pull it, take and send pictures, and then probably send the clutch itself to him. This is the process I've seen used before to troubleshoot Spec clutch issues. Good luck with it.

The worst part for me was that I really liked the feel of that clutch, the way it drove, and how it held the power. When I pulled it, it also seemed to be holding up very well wear-wise. I was more upset about that than the money, to be honest.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Launching!

I would give Jeremy at Spec a call. If there are any possible solutions or troubleshooting methods, he will be the one that knows and can help you out. I would imagine if there is actually a problem with the clutch, he'll want you to pull it, take and send pictures, and then probably send the clutch itself to him. This is the process I've seen used before to troubleshoot Spec clutch issues. Good luck with it.

The worst part for me was that I really liked the feel of that clutch, the way it drove, and how it held the power. When I pulled it, it also seemed to be holding up very well wear-wise. I was more upset about that than the money, to be honest.
yes i love the way it drives and handles the power very well. i just don't have the money to waste redoing it all. has anyone ever added more shim's to it?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nobird8991
yes i love the way it drives and handles the power very well. i just don't have the money to waste redoing it all. has anyone ever added more shim's to it?
I've heard of people running two shims, but don't know the results. That's basically what the point of the adjustable master cylinder is: to move the engagement point of the pedal. I would give the adjustable master a shot. If your current master is fairly new, you can probably sell it and cover some of the cost anyways.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Launching!

I've heard of people running two shims, but don't know the results. That's basically what the point of the adjustable master cylinder is: to move the engagement point of the pedal. I would give the adjustable master a shot. If your current master is fairly new, you can probably sell it and cover some of the cost anyways.
to my knowledge its probably stock :-/ 73k on it. works great though. for normal clutches lol
Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nobird8991
is it much to fab up to make it work? i've seen something about having to grind something to get it hooked up?
No, not really, I did have to grind down the side of the ball part of the rod end to make room for the clip that holds the rod to the clutch pedal, but this was in a C5. I'm sure they use the same rod end for the F-body version, I know the clutch pedal itself is different though.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
No, not really, I did have to grind down the side of the ball part of the rod end to make room for the clip that holds the rod to the clutch pedal, but this was in a C5. I'm sure they use the same rod end for the F-body version, I know the clutch pedal itself is different though.
That's exactly what you have to do on the Fbody version.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's exactly what you have to do on the Fbody version.
You would think they would do something about that...

Quick Reply: what adjustable master cylinder should i get