Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can the "updated 01-02" slave cylinde be visually identified??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can the "updated 01-02" slave cylinde be visually identified??

Went to autozone to see what they had for slave cylinders. now... If you look up an 02 LS1 f-body, it will show some part numbers, none of which they stock. If you go back to a 99...they stock one with the throw out bearing for 71 bucks. Under that one, they list all the ones from the 02 listing as well.

So I grabbed one... My question is. Is there any way to visually tell if this is in fact an updated slave cylinder...or if some how its the older style. I know you get the updated one from GM even if you ask for a 98...but I dont know if the autozone ones would be the same way. Just weird that they dont list the one in stock for the 02....

Let me know what you guys think. I can post pictures of the one that I bought if need be. Its a very nice looking piece at least...

Thanks!

J.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im still not sure of what I have... Another thread mentioned the color of the fitting... Are they talking about the rubber cover? Because otherwise all I see is the brass colored quick disconnect, and the brass colored bleeder. No (orange/green) other than the rubber cover, which is red...

I just wish there was a way to check the slave itself to see if it has the updated specs....whatever they may be. Been searching and looking around, but cant find anything showing how it was updated...

J.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I got mine the quick disconnect to the slave cylinder was green instead of orange. Also, this may not apply as much, but the plastic collar that activates the quick disconnect had a larger area for the disconnect tool to push on.

Hope that helps.

Josh
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What number is cast into the base of the slave? I have one sitting in front of me, i can compare it to.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you've purchased a new slave it's the revised design. The old design isn't available anymore.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike44138
If you've purchased a new slave it's the revised design. The old design isn't available anymore.
Even if its from a local place like autozone??? It couldnt be a rebuilt unit or anything? Thats what Im afraid of...is that its a reman unit based off the old design.

But Im not even sure what the updates were...so I have no way of knowing.

Ill check the casting when I get home. I didnt even pull it out of the bag yet. It looks really good though. Not cheap looking...which doesnt really mean much. But the fittings and parts all look brand new. It has a red cap over the fitting...but I figured that wouldnt have much to do with it.

I also didnt know why they didnt list the in stock one for the 02 cars...but they did for the 99. But then listed under the 99 were all the other ones for the 02 that you had to order. I used to work for autozone, so I realize their computers are rather retarded...so it could just be that.

J.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
I also didnt know why they didnt list the in stock one for the 02 cars...but they did for the 99.
Yeah, that would definitely make you wonder... But given the fact that GM's pulled the older design off the market (& all years now use the same PN), I'd say odds are pretty good that you've got the good one.

I could be wrong though - when you get home tonight, look closely to see if it has the words "Made in China" anywhere on it...
Old 05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK...more confusion. I took pictures of my slave that I got. No numbers whatsoever in the casting or anywhere. Just on the bearing. I guess the fitting could be a greenish tint...but Ill see what you guys think.

Now...I went to advance auto. And asked for an 02 slave cylinder. They had one in stock listed for the 02 TA...the website doesnt mention this. When he brings it out, it has a part number on the casting. And the quick disconnect fitting is orange. The part number was D951004. That was cast in...

Here are the pictures of the one I got...

Let me know what you guys think....

J.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my stock 2000 slave had a green quick connect. and I just bought a 02 slave from GM and it was orange....
Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

See...more confusion. Here is a pic I found on here. Its the part number that the one at advance had... but the one at advance had an orange connector. This one appears to have the green one.

What I really would like to know is what the real difference is between the two versions. Did the inner passages get bigger? Smoother? Is it the fitting thats different????

So now Im not sure what to do... Return the one that I got and get the one from advance with the part number and all.. Or just use the one I got. Stupid inconsistancies...

J.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

The one i have in front of me has the AP and D951004 on it, while it has the orange connector.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Wasn't the one from pre-2001 heavier than the newer design?
-Joel
Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
The one i have in front of me has the AP and D951004 on it, while it has the orange connector.
And where did you get it? And what year did you ask for when you got it??

I read in another recent thread how AP makes the slaves and the ones they make are updated. So Im almost tempted to return this one I have with no part number, and get the one with the part number and orange connector.

One thing I will say...the bearing on the on that I have looks really nice. And the bearing on the one at advance looked kinda funky. It looks like the one with the part number that I posted just above...compare it to my bearing shots... Ugh...I hate these decisions. haha

J.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Got mine off ebay. Ordered it from the same people i ordered the one thats been in our 02 WS.6 since March of 06. The first one i bought had the greenish disconnect if im not mistaken. I dont think the color really means anything.

Last edited by brad8266; 05-09-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: removed non sponsor link
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Banned

If you're that concerned go to the GM dealer. All GM parts have casting clocks cast into the part. This is an example of how paying a bit more for piece of mind might be worth it.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I usually agree with that... But in this case the GM piece is twice as expensive. I got my slave for 70out the door. I get a discount at autozone and advance. And after reading that the ones for sale in the local stores is most likely made by the same company that builds the GM ones, I thought it would be silly to get a GM one.

Im starting to think the one I got is fine...and that the one that advance has is fine as well. At this point, Im more curious than anything else. I still would like to know exactly what has changed between the older unit and the updated one...

J.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
I usually agree with that... But in this case the GM piece is twice as expensive. I got my slave for 70out the door. I get a discount at autozone and advance. And after reading that the ones for sale in the local stores is most likely made by the same company that builds the GM ones, I thought it would be silly to get a GM one.

Im starting to think the one I got is fine...and that the one that advance has is fine as well. At this point, Im more curious than anything else. I still would like to know exactly what has changed between the older unit and the updated one...

J.
I just bought a true GM slave from Fred Beans Auto Parts. It looks exactly like the one you bought from Advanced auto, it has the AP logo and everything
Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nseldy
I just bought a true GM slave from Fred Beans Auto Parts. It looks exactly like the one you bought from Advanced auto, it has the AP logo and everything
Cool. What color is the quick disconnect? That greenish color or more orange??

J.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well...I dont want to wait too much longer. So I orded from Fred Beans today. It was only $95 from them... I got an 02 slave, and a new emblem for the back of my 86 for $135 total shipped. Thats less than other places sell the slave itself for without shipping.

So we'll see what shows up. Ill snap a pic of it and post it. It was only $20 more than the autozone part...so what the heck. I still want to know what the difference is though.

J.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talked to amber at six speeds inc and she said go to O'reilys for a slave and master. She said they are the same ones GM sells but cheaper and not in a fancy box. Well i went and had some of the same problems you guys did. Listed one for 98-00 and nothing for an 02. Then showed me the master cyl. for the older slave and looked nothing like mine..Told them i'd come back with some part numbers

Quick Reply: Can the "updated 01-02" slave cylinde be visually identified??