Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 problem with reverse and 6th

Old 04-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 problem with reverse and 6th

Hey guys, so last month I was driving home and I noticed that my shift paths seemed a little off. I made it home, but the next morning i woke up to find I couldnt get my car into reverse or 6th. It was like those gears were 'locked' out.

So i checked the easy stuff first, reverse lock solenoid (no engine codes), bled my clutch for half an hour (i have one of those remote speed bleeder lines), and finally resorted to replacing my master and slave cylinder.

Well after I replaced the master / slave I was able to get it into reverse and 6th. So I went for a test drive, only to find that when i got home I couldnt use reverse again. As a side note, around 9 months ago I took my trans into an AAMCO to have them check it out, once I got it back from them third gear would rattle at high RPMS and 6th gear would RARELY not go into gear. I would need to double clutch and it would work. Also, if i was breaking hard and while trying to shift from 6th, it wouldnt come out of gear.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Any ideas or recommendations to offer?

I probably should have my transmission rebuilt, so I'm thinking thats my next course of action. So if anyone knows of a decent shop in the chicagoland area, please hit me up.

Thanks guys,

-Erik
Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

sounds like a rebuild to me...i had similar problems. might as well get a new clutch while your at it.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Teching In

The LS6 clutch in there has <30k miles on it, so I probably wont to change it.

A little followup though. I drove it to the ladys place tonight, and noticed that I now can barely shift into 5th gear, but 6th works fine when moving. Reverse is intermittent while parked, but I can usually get it into reverse after driving for ahwile. I've resorted to putting it into reverse when parking, because 1st has only barfed once..

A friend of mine says theres a shop around here that rebuilt his automatic for $600. Hopefully the manual will be around the same.

$0.02
This car is a beast
Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Teching In

bump up
Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea if your having that many problems i would just go ahead and rebuild it, and i would go ahead a put a new clutch in it too cause you dont want to put it back together and it start slipping
Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Teching In

So now it wont stay in 3rd, 5th and 6th are gone, and I'm pricing shops.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Teching In

If you have a manual transmission, this guide is very helpful for diagnosing problems.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...ice_Manual.pdf

the shop i took it to here quoted me at $2300 for parts, and $300-500 in labor. Said they were going to put in all GM stuff so parts were costly. Thought it was funny that he was so concerned with getting it back to stock so that it wouldnt break again.. The whole time im thinking the reason that it broke was because i beat the **** outa those _GM_ parts
Old 05-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Teching In

So to follow up, the good people at t56 rebuilds hooked me up for <700 with all the stuff I needed (recall shop quote at just shy of $3k)

Then charged me for 5 hours of labor.

So bottom line:
$1100 for parts n labor (t56 rebuilds + superior transmission)
6 hours of my time to remove / install the trans

Yay for muscle cars!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T56 problem with reverse and 6th