Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

mcelod street twin grinding noises?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mcelod street twin grinding noises?

Had this clutch in for the past 2yrs only has seen couple thousand miles only on the street at 700whp with the t76 turbo setup..the car sat for a few months went to drive around today and the trans wont go into gear..the pedal makes a creaking/grinding like noise that seems to be coming from the bellhousing..figured the adj master was on its way out and had a new one that i put on and then bleed the system etc but it still wont go into gear..no fluid is leaking and the pedal feels like it always did except for the noise when the pedal is pushed in..it almost sounds like one of the fingers on the pressure plate snapped off and not letting the clutch disengage..once the pedal is pushed to the floor and the bleeder is cracked you can hear the grinding noise of something relaxing inside the bellhousing..anyone else ever had this issuse? going to pull the trans next i guess..the creaking noise i noticed few months back and just thought it was the return spring under the dash but the noise isnt coming from there..
Old 05-16-2008, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

The Street Twin from Mcleod comes with a Borg & Beck style pressure plate. Maybe you have binding in one of the internal pressure plate springs?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Teching In

i pulled the trans today the clutch didnt have any apparent damage..arent the springs only there for static clamp load -when its disengaged the springs are relaxed not compressed..i did notice the slave cylinder had rubber coming apart at the top of the throwout bearing and i didnt see any fluid inside the bore..i think the slave was just blocked with dirt..going to try a new one tomorrow see what that does..