Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my T56 leaking fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my T56 leaking fluid?

After installing my new clutch and flushing all the fluids I have noticed a tranny fluid smell from my car after i drive it for about 5 minutes. I'm sure that I tightened the drain plug but am wondering if the smell is coming from the shifter area which is where i filled it from (I did not spill any). Anyone have this happen before or have any ideas where it could be coming from?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Most likely just burning whatever fluids made it on to the trans or exhaust or maybe any cleaners you used during the process...always check your levels and give it a day for fumes or smells to go away becuase they are normal after installs requiring fluids...
Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

I've driven the car for about 400 miles already and i can still smell the fluid.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed all my fluids a few weeks ago and I've never noted any fluid burning smell. If there is an issue, you should be able to spot a few drips on the driveway.

The transmission is fill till spill, so simply get it jacked up and level (front and back) then open the fill hole, if you can stick your pinky in and get the back of your nail covered in fluid, you are fine. I usually add in the full 4 quarts from the shifter so doing the fill hole check results in a good bit of fluid escape. Honestly, the transmission should be bone dry. If there is a leak, you will spot it.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

has to be a leak in my opinion. 400 miles is good enough to burn off spills. I was so bad from my tailshaft bearing being messed up that there was trans fluid all over my tailgate after driving the interstate. If its bad you should find a oily slime (trans fluid) over the bumper up the trunk. If leaks for awhile you could end up destroying the rubber trans mount and have to replace it. If you don't see dripping fluid after a good run or like someone burnt an egg on the exhuast pipe I'm not sure this is a safe idea so please figure it out another way but you'll know for sure. Remove the rubber boots around the shifter sealing the trans from the inside of the car and if it smokes up you got a lot of trans fluid burning. I know it's not safe to breath this stuff cause I got sick from it once with another car leaking trans fluid and a rainy day. hopefully, the burnt trans smell will go away soon good luck/
Old 05-30-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the shifter wasn't seated correctly when using the gasket maker, it has a chance of leaking from there. There's also the rear tailshaft seal that is famous for going if it's aftermarket or a really old stock one.

Everything should be BONE dry underneath, if you have a leak, you will spot oil. If it's filthy and kinda grease covered all over. Get a good rag, some break cleaner or some really good grease cutter and your powertrain area. That will make it easier to spot the leak.

The transmission gets "hot" but not hot enough to really burn off fluids. It will stick to the outer shell of the transmission if it's leaking. If it's being flung by the driveshaft around, it can get onto the y-pipe/intermediate pipe and that may be where the burning smell is coming from. You just have to get under there and play detective to find it.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the tips SladeX. I haven't noticed anything underneath the car so its probably the gasket maker around the shifter that needs to be redone.

Quick Reply: Is my T56 leaking fluid?