Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone ever seen a failure like this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 348 Posts

Default Anyone ever seen a failure like this?

I tore my trans out this weekend to send it in for a rebuild and this is what I found when inspecting it. The countershaft is missing about 5 teeth and 2 are chipped off the input shaft from that failure. Nothing else in the trans is in bad shape - no other gears and none of the bearings are damaged - the fluid was still perfect in color and had barely any metal in it. The magnet caught EVERYTHING. I only drove it about 15 miles after it failed, so that saved it from having crap running though it. The car has 150K on it, but I can't be sure the trans is original, so I'm not sure if that's a factor in the failure. I doubt I'm even pushing 400RWHP, so it's definitely not power that killed it. Any ideas?

Old 06-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the tip of the input shaft look like ? Condition of the pilot bearing ?
Old 06-15-2008, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Both are in perfect shape.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A clear indication of a shock loading failure. The engine/clutch/rear/tires were all doing something that shocked the gears and caused them to break clean.. What were you doing at the point of failure? Has the trans ever been rebuilt before?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

I don't really know the history of the car before I bought it. During the time I've had it, I've drag raced it quite a few times, but never did any hard clutch dumps. I also have never missed a gear. The failure really didn't happen all at once either. I started feeling something through my shifter under deceleration for about a week - the shifter was kind of moving around a bit, and then one day I downshifted and when I let the clutch out, it started making noise. There was nothing violent about it either, it was just a downshift to slow down and turn a corner. Beats me why it did it.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
A clear indication of a shock loading failure. The engine/clutch/rear/tires were all doing something that shocked the gears and caused them to break clean.
Thats it.
I was in 2nd heating up the tires at the track once and the track official ran out and told me to stop like i ran someone over.
I freaked out and stalled it.
It made some weird noises the next three passes and two weeks of driving.
I took it apart to find two teeth broke off the input.
The trans was a BW ST10. I got new parts to rebuild it, ran it for a while and sold it.
The guy that bought it broke second with a stock 305. The whole trans was shock loaded so theres no telling what all was effected by that until it broke again.