LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Manual Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission-14/)
-   -   Mcleod RST vs RXT clutch (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/958803-mcleod-rst-vs-rxt-clutch.html)

pushinfreight 07-23-2008 02:26 PM

Mcleod RST vs RXT clutch

Does anyone have experience with either of these clutches? If so what kind of power are you putting to it and can you drive with it on the street. It does not have to be super smooth just can you do it without killing yourself.

Gauge 07-23-2008 02:48 PM

I have an RXT putting down 400RWHP currently (looking to add a Procharger soon). This clutch is TOTALLY street drivable. It's extremely smooth. I will have it to the track for the first time this weekend.

Definitely plan on having a McLeod master, though, because you'll need the extra fluid movement to disengage the clutch.

pushinfreight 07-23-2008 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gauge (Post 9792427)
I have an RXT putting down 400RWHP currently (looking to add a Procharger soon). This clutch is TOTALLY street drivable. It's extremely smooth. I will have it to the track for the first time this weekend.

Definitely plan on having a McLeod master, though, because you'll need the extra fluid movement to disengage the clutch.

roughly what should I expect to pay for the clutch? Mcleod does not show a price.

Gauge 07-23-2008 03:33 PM

It's top dollar. I think I paid somewhere on the order of like $650 for the clutch and another $300 for the flywheel (which is not part of the clutch package).

Gauge 07-26-2008 01:40 AM

I took the car to the track tonight, and the clutch is a fucking BEAST. I have 12" slicks, and with my old Textralia I could rev the engine up to 6500 and just drop the clutch, and the car would go pretty well. The clutch would slip a bit, but the car went. It was a nice setup.

I tried that with the RXT. Wow, did I embarass myself. Seriously, I had the gas on the floor, RPMs at 6000+ (I wasn't watching, but they were obviously rising quickly because I had the gas pegged) and dropped the clutch. The tires hooked, the clutch grabbed, and the engine just fuckin' quit. It's a damn good thing I have a stout car. The internals are forged, the rear end is a Dana 60, the DS is carbon fiber (big diameter, too), and the McLeod is insane. Otherwise, something definitely would have broke. The computer was obviously saying WTF because the dash lights all came on, and several of them (including the "Brake," "Check Gauges," "No Trac," and "ABS Inop" lights) stayed on until I shut the car off and started it again!

So, after that I realized I was going to have to slip this clutch (which didn't work with the Textralia because if you didn't DUMP the clutch, it would just keep on slipping). I faired quite well. Think about how you slip the clutch driving away from a light. In my car, you can do the same thing at the track with the gas on the floor... it just grabs a very, very slight bit higher.

So, in short, for my car, this clutch is 100% pure sex. It's even nicer than stock to drive on the street, and it is an unflinching monster on the track. I'll be getting another one if it blows up tomorrow.

Dwn Cam 07-26-2008 10:04 PM

You just summed up why Mcleod has been on back order for months on parts. They can't keep up with the demand of this clutch. Great review!