Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1rst gear shakes the whole car

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1rst gear shakes the whole car

i have a bit of a problem. when taking off in first my whole car shakes. after that the car is fine in all other gears. i also tried taking off in third(by accident) and it did the same thing. its just on the take off. sometimes it sounds like something is rattling down there as if something were loose. i took it to the shop and they couldn't find anything loose or worn. i already replaced the clutch n slave cylinder. someone told me it might be the tranny mount. anyone have some advice?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Did you replace the clutch in order to fix this problem, or did this problem occur after you replaced the clutch?

A lot of the aggressive aftermarket clutches will have some pretty severe chatter especially if the flywheel wasn't replaced or atleast re-surfaced. What kind of clutch are you running?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Teching In

it chattered before i replaced the clutch and it still does it. i had the flywheel resurfaced. i'm running a Spec Stage 1 clutch. I also replaced the slave cylinder.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you by chance replace the pilot bearing/bushing that is in the rear of your crankshaft? its the piece that the input shaft of the tranny sticks into. if now, it may be worn, or completely shot and is allowing the input shaft to move under the loads that are produced when trying to get a 3600lb car moving. also since you replaced the clutch i am to assume that yo swapped the throwout bearing as well?

karl
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

was the clutch replaced recently? how many miles are on the setup?

i had a spec stage 1 (with new OEM flywheel) installed on my car in janurary. clutch chattered like a mother for the first few hundred miles and progressively got better. i now got about over 5k miles on the setup and its much better. it still chatters at low rpm take offs, but its not shaking the whole car like it did when i first had it installed.

defintly replace your tranny mount. i thought my tranny mount was shot and threw a autozone/energy suspension mount on it. the difference was phenomenal. and i dont even think my stock tranny mount was bad; the energy suspension one just doest let it travel as much. the only thing that sucks about these mounts is that it raises the tranny a little higher; my shifter is literally pushing out the center console a little bit.

my recommendation: break in the clutch to factory specs (450-500 miles) and start to get on it a little more and more. try to get a new tranny mount on there ASAP and i guarantee it will help suppress the chatter
Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firehawk238
did you by chance replace the pilot bearing/bushing that is in the rear of your crankshaft? its the piece that the input shaft of the tranny sticks into. if now, it may be worn, or completely shot and is allowing the input shaft to move under the loads that are produced when trying to get a 3600lb car moving. also since you replaced the clutch i am to assume that yo swapped the throwout bearing as well?

karl

yeah it came as a kit with the clutch, pressure plate TO Bearing, Pilot Bearing and alignment tool.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slayerized6
was the clutch replaced recently? how many miles are on the setup?

i had a spec stage 1 (with new OEM flywheel) installed on my car in janurary. clutch chattered like a mother for the first few hundred miles and progressively got better. i now got about over 5k miles on the setup and its much better. it still chatters at low rpm take offs, but its not shaking the whole car like it did when i first had it installed.

defintly replace your tranny mount. i thought my tranny mount was shot and threw a autozone/energy suspension mount on it. the difference was phenomenal. and i dont even think my stock tranny mount was bad; the energy suspension one just doest let it travel as much. the only thing that sucks about these mounts is that it raises the tranny a little higher; my shifter is literally pushing out the center console a little bit.

my recommendation: break in the clutch to factory specs (450-500 miles) and start to get on it a little more and more. try to get a new tranny mount on there ASAP and i guarantee it will help suppress the chatter
Yeah the clutch was replaced about 100 miles ago. it still chattered though before changing it out. i have a new enrergy suspension tranny mount that i'm putting in and new motor mounts as well. i cant figure it out.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

when i first got my spec stage 1 kit installed i babied it for 1000 miles. the longer you baby it, the longer the clutch will last. expect that extreme chatter until you get atleast 500 miles city driving on the kit. i was told by the trans shop to double clutch all downshifts and was told by Jeremy at spec to "get on it" as it was still chattering at 1500 miles.

give Jeremy a PM, i believe his handle in SPEC-01
Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a SPEC 3 with no chatter at all even from mile one. However, 15,000 later and i have this problem. I am also leaking oil but it's not the rear main. So, I better check that bushing!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Launching!

did your problem ever go away? i have the same problem, i had a textralia oz700 installed it had a bout 700 miles on it, then i drove it for 100 miles seems fine, then the next day the pedal was sticking to the floor, it was hard to put in gears so i had it bleed, now my new problem is that the car shakes when taking off from first, any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

ok guys this may sound stupid.. i know its an entirely different world.. but i had a ford ranger that i had the exact same problem with.. the problem was that the universal joints were froze solid.. a u joint that is junk can cause the exact same feeling that you are describing until you get up to a certain speed and the it isnt noticeable any more... check your u joint.. u never know it could be something that small and can easily be over looked..
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Teching In

If anyone else had the same problem, I decided to take the clutch off again and noticed that there was serious wear on only one side of the the pressure plate and flywheel. The shop that was doing the work told me that the pressure plate "fingers" so to speak were uneven. One side is lower than the other. I think thats the reason why it did this. You guys should have yours checked out too.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sg72201
If anyone else had the same problem, I decided to take the clutch off again and noticed that there was serious wear on only one side of the the pressure plate and flywheel. The shop that was doing the work told me that the pressure plate "fingers" so to speak were uneven. One side is lower than the other. I think thats the reason why it did this. You guys should have yours checked out too.
That preasure plate is toast, that problem will also cause the clutch to not entirely disengage so you cannot get it into first or reverse.