Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone elses clutch pedal breaking the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone elses clutch pedal breaking the floor?

Where the clutch pedal is mounted, firewall/floor theres cracks forming around the bolt holes. The pedal is a lot harder to push in than stock. RAM Powergrip HD.

Anyone else have to beef up their floor to hold this? Its not like its rusted or anything...the car is super clean. All I have is a TIG welder and it is a pain in the *** to try and get under there and weld it back together.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having the same issue with my car. (87 TA). I was running a RAM adjustable master and a Spec 3. Two things happened. One the sheet metal around the bolt holes started to deform. Two, the darn master cylinder push rod started to bend. Mostly because it wasnt going straight in though...

On my new car (86 TA), I ditched the 4th gen pedals for 3rdgen pedals. That doesnt really help ya...but what might is the way the 3rdgen pedals mount. Instead of having one flimsy support bracket like the 4th gen, they ahve two pretty heavy "struts" that mount at the pedal pivot bolt, and down to the m/c bolts. It is VERY sturdy compared to the other set up. It takes stress away from the firewall, and puts it on the struts.

Couple pics... I think you could make something liek this. Even if you put it on the passenger side of the pedals, since the 4th gen has that brace on the other side.

I was going to make something to this effect when I was using the 4th gen pedals....but figured why bother when the other set already has em.

J.