Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Has anyone replaced JUST the 3-4 Fork?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone replaced JUST the 3-4 Fork?

The reason I ask, is I'm looking to sell the SS and it has only 26k on it, the tranny shifts smooth w/no other problems except 3rd started popping out of gear when decelerating.

The fork is 40+ bucks, and I don't want to sink a ton of money into a tranny when this seems to be the only problem.

Has anyone replaced just the fork? Is it difficult for DIY, or is it expensive for the trans shop to do? Does it still require a full teardown?

I'm trying to weigh out all my options, thanks for any help.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

If its poping out of gear thats the Syncros going bad. Im guessing it would cost quite a bit to take the tranny apart, you might as well just build the whole thing. Im sure its not cheap to take a tranny out of the car and get it taken apart.

26k miles though? Wow, I have 31k on mine, makes me think Im on borrowed time.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Launching!

i ended up putting the steel shift fork in mine and a new syncro.. it was a pretty easy job.. just keep track of everything as it comes apart..

Originally Posted by BLK85
26k miles though? Wow, I have 31k on mine, makes me think Im on borrowed time.
mine had 120,000km and the only reason i touched it was because it was poping out of reverse when i bought it.. if you know how to drive stick and dont grind the heck out of the gears you should be ok...
Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could well be that you could fix the prob with a fork change. If the prob is due to the fork wallowing at the rail ( the common 3/4 fork problem). If you swp this out along with good pads. If it has been happening awhile, you may have secondary probs there. You still have the in& out & TD( yep a full teardown) labor but if thats you, its just sweat & time.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nrmustang
The reason I ask, is I'm looking to sell the SS and it has only 26k on it, the tranny shifts smooth w/no other problems except 3rd started popping out of gear when decelerating.

The fork is 40+ bucks, and I don't want to sink a ton of money into a tranny when this seems to be the only problem.

Has anyone replaced just the fork? Is it difficult for DIY, or is it expensive for the trans shop to do? Does it still require a full teardown?

I'm trying to weigh out all my options, thanks for any help.
It requires a pretty much entire tear down. The only think you don't really have to do is tear down the mainshaft assembly, but sadly you do have to remove I would say 80% of the parts.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way to tell if it's the fork for sure without tearing it down. Could be in the shift linkage- the 3/4 fork, or the stock plastic pads on the fork may be worn, or a worn face on the synchro sleave.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Teching In

it might 3/4 synchro keys or 3rd gear itself you have to get in there to find out. I thought my 3/4 fork was bent but it was the keys i put in a steel fork and billt keys

read greysteel's "how to" above and go for it
Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

And before you say you can't do it....you can.

I just rebuilt mine. It IS something you can do....don't be scared.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced JUST the 3-4 Fork?