Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Changing clutch. Can I just remove trans. and leave bellhousing bolted to block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Changing clutch. Can I just remove trans. and leave bellhousing bolted to block?

Got to swap concentric slave so I'm going to do the clutch assembly while the transmission is out. Can I leave the bellhousing bolted to the block and just remove the transmission proper or would I be doing myself a disservice by making this shortcut?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The bell housing must be removed to get the flywheel out for re-surfacing. Also, my clutch assembly would not come out through the bell housing either. Don't know if any clutch assemblies are small enough. Have the flywheel/presure plate assembly balanced after re-surfacing the flywheel.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Got to swap concentric slave so I'm going to do the clutch assembly while the transmission is out. Can I leave the bellhousing bolted to the block and just remove the transmission proper or would I be doing myself a disservice by making this shortcut?
If it was ONLY the slave, then yes.

But while your there.... its another like 6 bolts and a little bit more wrenching. Unless the clutch was nearly brand new....
Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the time you have the transmission out, the bellhousing is another 5 minutes away from being off.

Quick Reply: Changing clutch. Can I just remove trans. and leave bellhousing bolted to block?