Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans fluid/filling questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans fluid/filling questions

Going to change the fluid in my trans for the first time tomorrow and I have two questions.

I read some of the threads debating on what types of fluid to use. I'm going to stick with normal, but - would using Synchromesh be worth it or not? I have some issues with my 2nd gear synchro, and it seems like Synthromesh could help, but then I've seen it said that people shouldn't run it in T-56s (the issue of why never seems to have come up). Four quarts of regular ATF, or 4 of Synchromesh?

Also, I've seen people talking about filling the transmission through the shifter. How exactly does that work? Just pull the shifter out and dump the fluid down into the hole that has the socket for the shifter stick ball thingy?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I really can't answer your question about the synchromesh very well. I think its just too thick for use in cold weather. I'm about to swap mine to Mobil 1 cause the $8 a gallon junk I threw in there to clean out the tranny is making my shifts notchy as hell.

As far as filling it goes, you have to pull the shifter all the way off the transmission and dump it in straight in. It'll drain down into the transmission through that little hole you see in the bottom of the shifter area.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried the synchromesh for awhile and it shifts like absolute **** when it was cold. I also tried the mobile 1 after I had the tranny rebuilt and hated it. it was notchy and would still grind on occasion when powershifting. I recently put the Redline D4 in and it's by far the best stuff I've tried so far

Redline D4 is what I'd recommend and it's still cheaper than synchromesh
Old 09-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

syncromesh is the ****!! it fixed my third gear grind. but it performs at optimum when the tranny is hot. at cold i usually double clutch to be safe. and as for mobil 1 thats a no no. mobil one made my tranny shift rougher because of how smooth the synthetic fluid was, it couldent slow down the syncro fast enough. if u dont want to use syncromesh use regular dex III ATF
Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

its not a major procedure to remvoe the shifter, but its overkill if you are just doing a fluid change. i'd only do a fluid change from there if you were already pulling the shifter off becuase you were upgrading it or doing a clutch swap.

your local parts store should sell a pump that screws onto a bottle of gear oil and works like the pump on a soap bottle except it has a long hose that you can stick in the fill hole on the tranny
Old 09-25-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/lubeoil.htm

this link will tell you exactly how to chage your tranny fluid and well as rear end and engine.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just buy a cheap fluid transfer pump from any auto parts store. They're usually around 15 bucks. This is like the one i have and it works fine. Easier than removing the shifter

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6847610.jpg
Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've changed the fluid both ways and prefer to remove the shifter. I run Amsoil ATF in my tranny and it shifts smoother when compared to the Mobil 1.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid/filling questions