Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

cam/ head HELP ride along??????? WI

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam/ head HELP ride along??????? WI

Hi everyone. Im pretty new on here, and i swear i have been reading the forums on this sight day and night for about 2-3 months now. Im learning alot, but still have tons of questions. One big issue im having is the cam which seems to be the most contraversal item one could ever purchase. Ive read hundreds of posts about cam selection, but still just not sure what im looking for.
Many of you have said "take a ride in as many cammed cars as you can" So since none of my friends have cammed ls1s I was wondering if any of you wisconsins guys would be willing to take me for a ride along? I live in Manitowoc about 30 miles south of green bay. but i will drive just about anywhere in wi OR northern IL that i would have to for this opportunity.
I know im askin alot here since ya guys dont even know me but i have no other means of accomplishing this other than buying multiple cams to find the one im looking for. thanks for any help guys.

Last edited by kipp1692; 06-08-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

i sold my cammed t/a a lonnnnng time ago but any known engine builder or shop will have their favorites and tell you why. I had a custom grind comp cam from straightline that they had recommended to me. also i would say that cams that are well known (MS3, F14s, polluter, ect) are known because people like them and make good power with them. I wouldnt stay away from them just because they are an "off the shelf cam." my next cam will probably be an MS3
Old 06-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Question

Thats what i planned on doing. The cams you mentioned to me seem a little big as my car will almost never see the track and since drivabilty is subjective id really like to see some cars in person. Im back and forth on a few cams. I had a 86 z28 383 stroker and the cam that was in it pulled so damn hard all the way through the rpm range, i loved it. Id love to have that feeling again big torque is what i want. i love that sotp feeling. I called texas speed shop and they recommended the 224r. problem is i was looking at the torquer v.2. the 224r just seems to be a pretty small cam. not that i know what im talking about...lol i guess i just wanted bigger for some reason, maybe what i want isnt realistic. or I guess maybe i want my cake and to eat it too. I want ALOT of torque and as much hp as i can push out of the car without having to rev the car to high hell to get it.
Anyone dd the torquer v.2 and although i know it will be subjective id love to hear anyones thoughs on drivabilty, how it pulls, rpms any input you guys have would greatly help me out. or maybe i should just go with the recommendation from tsp....any and all thoughs appreciated.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Teching In

I also understand it wasnt just the cam that made all the torque on my z28 but it was a huge help. And i would have no problems at all with an of the shelf grind, as long as it will perform the way i would like it to.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

ive heard of people DDing a ms3-4 cam, its all where you set the redline and how you drive the car. ill have to ask what cam was in my old car cause it was decent and made good power all the way through the power band. You might have more luck posting in the internal ls1 forum
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Teching In

i posted here because i thought id get some local area help possibly with the ride along, but your probably right that forum is more suited to this type of question.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Hey seen your postin and if you could wait 2 weeks i'll take you on a ride in my MS4 car. It's basically a MS4 and full exhaust, but it's a 6 speed not a A4, I think that will make a huge difference due to the stall you would want to get to have a cam as big as mine in a street car. Mine is a street car bought it this spring and drove it quite a bit before the hydralics went out. So next week I have a ton of parts coming that i'm going to install...
Old 06-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

i wouldnt have a problem waiting 2 weeks. Im out of town right now anyways..if ya could, could you post up here when your up and running. id love to see a big cam like your in action. like you said it wont be quite the same as an a4 but it should give me a pretty good idea. thanks for the help

Quick Reply: cam/ head HELP ride along??????? WI