Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Illinois license plate law help anyone?

Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illinois license plate law help anyone?

I'm wondering if there's a way to get around Illinois's stupid *** law of REQUIRING front license plates on your car...

I want to be able to have my bird flying on the front of the '98 WS6... Is there ANY way to get around this at all in the state?
Or do I HAVE to have front plates showing, and if so, is there anywhere I can move it to? Thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I certainly feel your disgust. I hate front license plates and am thankful I have always lived in FL and NC where they are not required. If you feel like taking a chance I would just drive without it. If stopped, just show the officer the plate (keep it on the floor in the backseat area) and tell him that you are having difficulty getting a front bracket to hold it in place. Politeness is key here. He will obviously see that you have valid tags and may just issue a verbal or written warning. Most cops don't mess with such minor infractions. It would be unfortunate to get a real hard ***, but it could happen and you could be fined whatever the amount is. You may get away without being stopped for years or just one day. It is a gamble and it is up to you. A big factor is where you live. If a big town, no one will notice unless you are stopped for something else. If a small town and everyone knows everybody, not so good.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Teching In

I think Missouri has the same law but I've never had one on either of my cars. Haven't got stopped for it yet so im not going to put mine on lol. If your worried about it I would just throw it inside the windshield, I have also seen some fbodys mount their plate to the plastic guard underneath the front bumper. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I'm just going to take it off and hope for the best! Illinois has some of the most obnoxious laws in the country and they all just **** me off to be honest...
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

I have never had a front plate on any of my TA's nor vettes....I have never been pulled over for it here in Il.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

You can just mount the plate where it goes and then put the plate cover/bird on over the top. Then keep the torx tool in your glove box or console. I've got the torx tool like a screw driver.

Then if you get stopped you can just offer to pull over to a safe spot and take the cover off. Cop probably won't write you up because you can fix the problem right there.

I live in a small town, rural area and can't get away with leaving it on all the time. But I still put the cover on during nice weekends during the summer when I'm cruiz'n to car shows, and then take it off.

Be aware that having the cover on is a valid excuse to pull you over. So if you are on your way home after a few beers it could lead to expensive problems.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

I didn't have one on my Z and got pulled over for it....you can just put it in the window that's what I have done and I've had no issues...
Old 11-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Join the military. Then you can get away with having plates from wherever because the cops just expect it. Of course, you may wind up living wherever as well.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use four little suction cups to mount it in the passenger side windshield- that way its visible from the front. Im in texas- but we have to have them here, and this has worked for me.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zaaronz
I use four little suction cups to mount it in the passenger side windshield- that way its visible from the front. Im in texas- but we have to have them here, and this has worked for me.
I don't think that will work here in IL as the last time I looked at the laws I recall it saying it HAS to be horizontal so no slanting (like on a windshield) or any other direction.

I find the law ridiculous and it would save the state so much money NOT having front plates if we just had rear. I don't get it. The rational of for criminal reasons so they can get the plate # from the front is dumb for reasons like at night time you can usually only see the rear plate since it's illuminated and not the front, motorcycles only have rear plates and to top it off their are a LOT smaller too! Oh well. On my T/A and other cars I've rode without the front plates and just had it under my seat with the prepared speech as above stating something like the bracket broke off or something if I ever got pulled over which I haven't yet for that reason.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a front plate law here.

I have mine bolted to the airdam under the car on my TA,2years no issues knock on wood.

The V6 DD has the plate mounted properly though.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live in South Chicago and I have owned 6 cars in the last 9 years, 2 of which I still own and don't have a front plate on mine and never stopped.

Forget about the state law, the main thing is how the cops are in the town/city/county in which you live. If they're dicks, than prepare to be stopped. If not let it ride.

If I ever get stopped I'm just going to use the "Jedi Force" to get away.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Both of my F bodies that I drive on the street are sans front plate and it is on the dash on the passengers side. I removed the mount and filled the holes when I repainted them. I have been pulled over several times over the years. I just BS them and say that someone backed into the car at Walmart and destroyed the front bumper and plate mounting bracket. Then I tell them because the cars are older than 10 years (one is a 95 and one is a 96) that GM no longer makes alot of the parts for them so the dealer that fixed it is having a very hard time finding one. I also bought a couple of mangled plate brackets or whatever you want to call it off a wrecked car at a pick a part salvage yard. If the cop questions me at all I tell him I have the mangled one in the trunk if he would like to see what I am talking about. I hide it in with the spare tire. They just tell me to get it fixed. The one plus of being a little older like myself is a cop is more willing to listen to you and your explanation and take you for your word. I know its not right to lie to cop but I hate front plates so its a chance I take. Now when I was younger and lived in Northern VA I just said yea I know and let them write me the ticket cause I knew as soon as they said it there was no point in arguing it.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Haven't ran a front plate for years, atleast 4+ and have never been stopped, including at weight stations with my duramax and gooseneck, nobody has ever said a thing to me. my SS doesn't even have a bracket to mount it to anyway lol.

I do believe that there is a mileage/classification plate (similar to classics) that exempts you from front plates, but believe there's something like a 5000mile/year limit and it has to be documented.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Launching!

A friend in Ohio has their mounted to the air dam... It is low but he has never been pulled over.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had a front plate in the last 5 years. Living in the NWesr suburbs has its advantages since the f-bodies are the least of their concerns. The vettes and other high end exotics don't run them either. The only reason an officer will pull you over for no front plate is either he's having a bad day, wants to check out your car, or you've done something and he needs an excuse to stop you. From the officers I know, the last thing they are really looking at is your front plate. I'd say run without it and enjoy. If you have a bird and put a cover on it, just tell them you don't have a place to mount it. It's not a lie at that point.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

I haven't had one on my '98 in many years, and it's never been an issue. But the car is not a DD either, and the older you are the less likely cops are to bother you for such things.

If you really don't want it, then just don't use it. The worst thing that will happen is a ticket, but it won't go against your insurance so the fee is your only penalty. Unless there is some local cop that specifically has it in for you, chances are you wouldn't get more than a couple warnings or tickets over the coruse of many years anyway.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ur TA is black.... Order the Clear plate cover from AfterThoughts, put your plate inside and tint it
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oldbutspry
Join the military. Then you can get away with having plates from wherever because the cops just expect it. Of course, you may wind up living wherever as well.
Or join the National Guard and get guard plates...Its worked for me so far. In my 93 I got pulled over several times for no front plate with a normal IL plate.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

The windshield is the worst place to have it. You are better off not having a front plate at all. It sticks out like a sore thumb and actually attracts cops. It becomes a projectile in an accident and can hurt you pretty badly.
I have mine mounted on the drivers side of the air dam. It's convenient because it is visible to cops and it doesn't look bad right smack in the middle of the car. I can also remove it in about 5 seconds for pictures.
It's kind of debatable if it's legal or not. Illinois law states it must be 5 inches from the ground and on the front of the car. Mine is 6 inches from the ground but not sure if its technically the front of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Illinois license plate law help anyone?