Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Thanks!

It just keeps getting better...haha. A 427 B-body in that sort of condition is certainly a treat, what a find! That's a well optioned example. The tail lights stand out as interesting to me, I think I've only ever see that style on formal roofline Caprice models before. Very unique to appear on an Impala fastback. Was this available separately, or included as a component of another option/trim package?

I'm at Mt. Prospect all the time, and I used to bring the Nova a lot when parking was easier to find. I haven't had it out much this year but there is only one other similar Nova that I've ever seen at Mt. Prospect in the past (also silver, '70-'72), don't think that one has been around in a few years though.

I remember that '97 LT1 Camaro all the way back to the Photo's days, prior to the train station show. I think his name is Brian? And did he used to work at Lattof Chevrolet?
yep Brian is the guy, he's now at Grossinger Chevy in Palatine, he bought the car new in 97, he has since modified it pretty heavily though, I believe it has a 383 now..still really clean and done right. And Photos! I used to go there with my dad a lot back when I was a kid, as well as Flukey's and Strats (franklin park) to name a few. You might recognize his car..

Name:  022.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  p8090001.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  153.0 KB
Old 07-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling Meadows

Thanks!

It just keeps getting better...haha. A 427 B-body in that sort of condition is certainly a treat, what a find! That's a well optioned example. The tail lights stand out as interesting to me, I think I've only ever see that style on formal roofline Caprice models before. Very unique to appear on an Impala fastback. Was this available separately, or included as a component of another option/trim package?

I'm at Mt. Prospect all the time, and I used to bring the Nova a lot when parking was easier to find. I haven't had it out much this year but there is only one other similar Nova that I've ever seen at Mt. Prospect in the past (also silver, '70-'72), don't think that one has been around in a few years though.

I remember that '97 LT1 Camaro all the way back to the Photo's days, prior to the train station show. I think his name is Brian? And did he used to work at Lattof Chevrolet?
Good eye Ryan! That is a Caprice setup. The original owner worked for GM most of his life as a Mechanic at various dealers. We are not sure if he swapped it out or if he had a connection at the Janesville assembly plant. Many stories came with this car. Another is the center drop wipers. From what I can find, this was only on Australian built cars!
Attached Thumbnails Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm-wipers.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Saw a couple of very nice 4th gens at Mt. Prospect Saturday, a pewter SS and a black SS convertible. I've seen both before, in fact I was parked next to the pewter SS for the last show of the season in 2015, but I've never had a chance to talk to either owner. Wonder if they are members here? The pewter car is an especially premium example, I would assume 4-digit mileage or very low 5-digit...that car is still assembly-line crisp in certain critical areas.
This would be the black 99 SS.
Attached Thumbnails Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm-img_1965.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by BFK86
And Photos! I used to go there with my dad a lot back when I was a kid, as well as Flukey's and Strats (franklin park) to name a few. You might recognize his car..
I don't recognize that car specifically, but I was at Photos just about every Saturday night from the late '90s until the mid-'00s when the crowd shifted to the train station. When I first started going I had an '89 Formula 350 hardtop, black with a silver bottom. I sold that in '99 to get my first 4th gen (pewter '99 Z28) and then picked up a new red WS6 Trans Am in 2000 (actually it was 16 years ago today that I bought the WS6.) I was always in that group of 4th gens parked along the back row, we had about 14 cars in the club (RPM) at that time.

I occasionally went to the old Strats location in Franklin Park as well, when it was at Grand & Mannheim.

Originally Posted by F-bodynut64
Good eye Ryan! That is a Caprice setup. The original owner worked for GM most of his life as a Mechanic at various dealers. We are not sure if he swapped it out or if he had a connection at the Janesville assembly plant. Many stories came with this car. Another is the center drop wipers. From what I can find, this was only on Australian built cars!
That is truly a special car Mike. The close-up image of the unique wipers also highlights the impeccable condition of the dash/glass/trim/mirror and other visible interior items. That car is too nice for public roads!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't recognize that car specifically, but I was at Photos just about every Saturday night from the late '90s until the mid-'00s when the crowd shifted to the train station. When I first started going I had an '89 Formula 350 hardtop, black with a silver bottom. I sold that in '99 to get my first 4th gen (pewter '99 Z28) and then picked up a new red WS6 Trans Am in 2000 (actually it was 16 years ago today that I bought the WS6.) I was always in that group of 4th gens parked along the back row, we had about 14 cars in the club (RPM) at that time.

I occasionally went to the old Strats location in Franklin Park as well, when it was at Grand & Mannheim.
Photo's was a good spot in the mid 90s, quite a few fast cars would show up there. For laughs, here's a picture of my dad and I from about 1989/1990 at strats.

Name:  FB_IMG_1468292226693_zpsramzrwwj.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  32.7 KB
Old 07-12-2016, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BFK86
Photo's was a good spot in the mid 90s, quite a few fast cars would show up there. For laughs, here's a picture of my dad and I from about 1989/1990 at strats.
Great picture! That intersection sure has changed a lot since those days. I drive past there every weekend on my way to visit a friend who lives in Northlake. Although I don't recongnize the car, your dad looks a little familiar to me. Did he ever have another car at these events? Maybe I'm just not able to place him with the car, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Lots of the old Photo's crowd is still present at Mt. Prospect. I've known some of these guys for nearly 20 years now, a few even have the same cars as back then.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great picture! That intersection sure has changed a lot since those days. I drive past there every weekend on my way to visit a friend who lives in Northlake. Although I don't recongnize the car, your dad looks a little familiar to me. Did he ever have another car at these events? Maybe I'm just not able to place him with the car, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Lots of the old Photo's crowd is still present at Mt. Prospect. I've known some of these guys for nearly 20 years now, a few even have the same cars as back then.
youre right about grand and mannheim, that corner is unrecognizable now. My dad also has a goodwood green 67 corvette convertible, 327/350 4 speed, had it for 20 years now. He usually hangs with the corvette guys at the shows, the white 62 hasnt been driven much in the past 10 years since he finished the 67 so thats probably why you dont recognize it..but we just finished rebuilding the motor so itll be out and about at the cruise nights now.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Another great turnout at MP last night, full lot as usual. I showed up at prime time with the '98 and figured I wouldn't get a spot, but Mopar Ray saved one at the end for me. Nice guy, for Dodge owner.

I think I was the only 4th gen in the lot from 7-9.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Another great turnout at MP last night, full lot as usual. I showed up at prime time with the '98 and figured I wouldn't get a spot, but Mopar Ray saved one at the end for me. Nice guy, for Dodge owner.

I think I was the only 4th gen in the lot from 7-9.
We ended up at Lombard (really wanted to drive through MP for a bit but we were running a bit late). At least 7-8 4th gens ... some very clean. Seem to see a decent amount there. I took a few pics of them last night.

Got one of mine (not that great of quality):

A few of us at the end (around 11pm, people actually stay late at this show)

Last edited by Taprxxt; 07-17-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Some nice 4th gen shots above from Taprxxt.

Lots of rain tonight....first time this year that I've missed a MP event, that might be the longest run of any year to date. I'll try to make this up by going to Old Orchard on Monday if I can get going in time, but Mondays rarely work for me.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Made it to Old Orchard/Skokie tonight, several hundred cars as usual. Saw maybe a half dozen 4th gens, in particular a red LT1 SS and red hardtop '99 Z28 stood out to me, but didn't see any cars that I recognize from this site.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Made it to Old Orchard/Skokie tonight, several hundred cars as usual. Saw maybe a half dozen 4th gens, in particular a red LT1 SS and red hardtop '99 Z28 stood out to me, but didn't see any cars that I recognize from this site.
I didn't make it to any this weekend unfortunately. The rain and heat made that pretty difficult. I really need to make it out that way on a Monday however I'd never make it unless I had off of work. This Sunday is a HUGE show in Sycamore. I think it's called Turning Back Time or something like that , on good weather days with no chance of rain they get upwards of 1,000 cars. It is a once a year event...starts around 8AM and goes till about 3PM. I'll be up there with a few people including BFK86.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Taprxxt
I didn't make it to any this weekend unfortunately. The rain and heat made that pretty difficult. I really need to make it out that way on a Monday however I'd never make it unless I had off of work. This Sunday is a HUGE show in Sycamore. I think it's called Turning Back Time or something like that , on good weather days with no chance of rain they get upwards of 1,000 cars. It is a once a year event...starts around 8AM and goes till about 3PM. I'll be up there with a few people including BFK86.
I know what you mean about Mondays. I live only about 5 miles from Old Orchard, but it's still tough for me to get there since Mondays are usually busy for me. But if you ever get a chance, it's pretty cool to check out. Memorial Day (opening show) and Labor Day (closing show) are usually super busy if the weather is nice, since people have more time with the holiday.

Sycamore sounds like a great time. Not sure I could wake up early enough on a Sunday to make it all the way out there in time. Haha. I do think I've heard of this event before, or maybe I'm confusing it with Morris? Either way, I'll keep it in mind if the timing happens to work out.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Teching In

This Friday is Camaro/ Firebird night in Rolling Meadows. My car will be one of the feature cars entered for show car of the week. Also, couple buddies have there's entered as well. The black 99 SS convertible and a 02 brickyard pace car. I hope the weather holds out. Hope to see some of you guys!!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by F-bodynut64
This Friday is Camaro/ Firebird night in Rolling Meadows. My car will be one of the feature cars entered for show car of the week. Also, couple buddies have there's entered as well. The black 99 SS convertible and a 02 brickyard pace car. I hope the weather holds out. Hope to see some of you guys!!
Good luck to you guys!

On Friday I'll likely be at Rosemont if the weather looks nice, but maybe I'll see some of you at MP on Saturday.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan, stop by the garage Friday on your way to the show. Ill be working on some sort of Corvette. Either my latest c3 (1978 Silver anniversary edition) or a friends 13 Grand sport.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:13 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Ryan, stop by the garage Friday on your way to the show. Ill be working on some sort of Corvette. Either my latest c3 (1978 Silver anniversary edition) or a friends 13 Grand sport.
Hi Alex,

Sounds good, I'll give you a call on my way out there if it's not too late.

The new C3 sounds cool, I hadn't heard about this acquisition. Did I miss another e-mail? Haha.

The friend with the GS isn't named Doug, is he? That's the only local guy I know with a '13 specifically.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya sorry I bought it and then went to Italy for 2 weeks. Have not had much time at all to mess with it. Its a fixer upper but I drove it home.

His name is Fred. Its a white one with a big cam and exhaust. We are lowering it on the stock bolts.

Ya give me a call. Ill be out there most of the day and into evening. Have a couple broken Euro cars to fix first.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Ya sorry I bought it and then went to Italy for 2 weeks. Have not had much time at all to mess with it. Its a fixer upper but I drove it home.

His name is Fred. Its a white one with a big cam and exhaust. We are lowering it on the stock bolts.

Ya give me a call. Ill be out there most of the day and into evening. Have a couple broken Euro cars to fix first.
Sorry I didn't call. I was demotivated by the rain today, got a late start on my workout and never made it out tonight. I figure you're probably done for the night by now. I do want to check out your new C3 though.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Turnout was still pretty decent at MP tonight, even though the sky didn't look so great. I left the cars home, as usual, because I want to keep my 17 year record of not being caught in rain with a garage queen going.

Not a single 4th gen in site though. I got there late, around 8pm, so perhaps I missed some earlier arrivals.

Quick Reply: Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm