Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Nice rare Formula right there, hardly ever see white.

I should try hitting more of these suburban shows with my 5th gen, but that Friday traffic from the North side is kinda rough.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Db123formula

These are the only decent shots I have so far. I do work quickly..unfortunately. This hobby is a sickness. The day I got the car my buddy said "you'll be in the 11's by august." In which I repliedwith: it is staying bone stock.. <- practicing restraint is easier said than done.
Nice! Looks clean! And good with the black ZO6s on there
Old 06-16-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Nice rare Formula right there, hardly ever see white.

I should try hitting more of these suburban shows with my 5th gen, but that Friday traffic from the North side is kinda rough.
I saw the pic of your camaro a few posts back..you friends with Anthony Manna or the guys at JM? I had my car there last summer..i work down the street from there too.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any of you guys going to the prospect show saturday? Might stop by there for a few then cruise over to the Lombard show (way better than mt. Prospect).
Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by BFK86
Any of you guys going to the prospect show saturday? Might stop by there for a few then cruise over to the Lombard show (way better than mt. Prospect).
They keep taking rain in and out of the forecast so it's probably too soon to tell if there will even be a show to go to.

I'm not a fan of the MP lot, I rarely bring a car there due to the parking situation. Then again, I rarely bring either of the cars anywhere. But I still try to make it there as often as possible since I've known some of the guys in this crowd going back 15-20 years, long before the current location, when it was still at Photo's.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
They keep taking rain in and out of the forecast so it's probably too soon to tell if there will even be a show to go to.

I'm not a fan of the MP lot, I rarely bring a car there due to the parking situation. Then again, I rarely bring either of the cars anywhere. But I still try to make it there as often as possible since I've known some of the guys in this crowd going back 15-20 years, long before the current location, when it was still at Photo's.
Cool Cars in Elmhurst was #1 In my opinion. It's a shame that show is done. Photos was cool as well when it was back in DP.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah can't trust the forecast, one weather app tells me no rain and a different one says there will be..i guess we'll wait and see, but if it's nice ill be at one or both.

You used to go to photos? I used to go there with my dad in his corvette back in the mid-late 90s before I could drive..use to get some cool cars that came through..I remember Greg Zoetmulder and his "evil CJ-7" jeep would come out well before it was as wild as it is now..Chuck Samuel from FAST TIMES in his old 65 elcamino came by a few times..quite a few guys with fast street cars. Same with Flukey's on Friday nights..that was a good place to see some fast cars.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

You used to go to photos? I used to go there with my dad in his corvette back in the mid-late 90s before I could drive..use to get some cool cars that came through..I remember Greg Zoetmulder and his "evil CJ-7" jeep would come out well before it was as wild as it is now..Chuck Samuel from FAST TIMES in his old 65 elcamino came by a few times..quite a few guys with fast street cars. Same with Flukey's on Friday nights..that was a good place to see some fast cars.
I started going to Photo's exactly in that time frame, mid-late '90s. At the time I had a black w/silver bottom '89 Formula 350 hardtop. I sold that car in 1999 to buy a brand new Z28. So those were the cars I used to bring there at the time. I also had a green w/black top '71 Cutlass coupe in '96/'97, right before the '89 Formula, but I don't remember if I ever took that one to Photo's.

I remember the CJ7 quite well, it was about the same color as Jack's '67 Cutlass (455 + N2O.) You might remember Skip, he still has that blue '55 Nomad wagon and it's still running deep 10s with an SBC. You might also remember Turbo Tommy, he had a black mid-'70s Camaro at that time with an SBC and plenty of turbos, it was a very unassuming car that most people would have looked right past. He's still around but that Camaro was sold years ago, he has a Malibu wagon now as his street toy.

There were tons of really quick street cars at that show, too many to even remember. If you were still going to Photo's in the very early 2000s, like 2000-03, then you might remember the big line of 4th gens that used to park in the back row. I was always with those guys, I had a red '00 WS6 TA by then. Myself and a friend from high school had started a small car club, RPM, in the late '90s and all those 4th gens were part of our group. I think we used to come with about 12-14 cars, most memorable was the Procharged H/C black '02 WS6. In those days it was a rarity to see a brand new LS1 car with heads/cam and a blower. We had a ton of fun with that car.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I started going to Photo's exactly in that time frame, mid-late '90s. At the time I had a black w/silver bottom '89 Formula 350 hardtop. I sold that car in 1999 to buy a brand new Z28. So those were the cars I used to bring there at the time. I also had a green w/black top '71 Cutlass coupe in '96/'97, right before the '89 Formula, but I don't remember if I ever took that one to Photo's.

I remember the CJ7 quite well, it was about the same color as Jack's '67 Cutlass (455 + N2O.) You might remember Skip, he still has that blue '55 Nomad wagon and it's still running deep 10s with an SBC. You might also remember Turbo Tommy, he had a black mid-'70s Camaro at that time with an SBC and plenty of turbos, it was a very unassuming car that most people would have looked right past. He's still around but that Camaro was sold years ago, he has a Malibu wagon now as his street toy.

There were tons of really quick street cars at that show, too many to even remember. If you were still going to Photo's in the very early 2000s, like 2000-03, then you might remember the big line of 4th gens that used to park in the back row. I was always with those guys, I had a red '00 WS6 TA by then. Myself and a friend from high school had started a small car club, RPM, in the late '90s and all those 4th gens were part of our group. I think we used to come with about 12-14 cars, most memorable was the Procharged H/C black '02 WS6. In those days it was a rarity to see a brand new LS1 car with heads/cam and a blower. We had a ton of fun with that car.
Oh yeah I know Skip, he's car show buddies with my dad..didn't know his wagon was that quick though. And I know of that exact camaro with the turbo big block, I remember that car, I've talked to that guy before, didn't he have a kit car cobra also with a turbo small block chevy also? He used to hang out with Ronnie Rice and his early 80s black convertible fox body stang with a twin turbo SBF..I remember that being a fast car for the time..and still to todays standards. Google is failing me..can't find any pics of his car anymore. But I did find the el camino that was once owned by Chuck Samuel..raced it at the NMCA fastest street car events in the early 90s. Another friend of mine with a red 57 chevy 2 door wagon used to be around photos in that era had a nitrous big block chevy with centerlines..ran in the low 10s back then..couldn't miss it as it was loud as hell.

Heres the elco i was talking about

Name:  Chuck_zpslliphvys.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  54.1 KB
Old 06-23-2017, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Oh yeah I know Skip, he's car show buddies with my dad..didn't know his wagon was that quick though. And I know of that exact camaro with the turbo big block, I remember that car, I've talked to that guy before, didn't he have a kit car cobra also with a turbo small block chevy also? He used to hang out with Ronnie Rice and his early 80s black convertible fox body stang with a twin turbo SBF..I remember that being a fast car for the time..and still to todays standards. Google is failing me..can't find any pics of his car anymore. But I did find the el camino that was once owned by Chuck Samuel..raced it at the NMCA fastest street car events in the early 90s. Another friend of mine with a red 57 chevy 2 door wagon used to be around photos in that era had a nitrous big block chevy with centerlines..ran in the low 10s back then..couldn't miss it as it was loud as hell.

Heres the elco i was talking about

Yeah, that kit Cobra also belonged to Tommy, he sold it over this last off-season. He put a new SBC in the Malibu wagon last fall, not sure if the turbos are in place yet though, I've only seen him once or twice this year and didn't hear the car running. He still talks about Ronnie Rice and that Mustang quite often.

I remember the El Camino as well. Speaking of Fast Times, the building right next to their shop used to be a place called Supreme sheet metal, or something like that, Phil with the millennium yellow BBC '71 Chevelle used to work there. He's still got that car, I've known him since high school when the car was still green, before he restored it. Back in the Photo's days it was a weekend tradition for him and Matt Simmons (another guy I went to HS with, he had a sport bike at this point) to do a quick run down Wolf rd. just south of Photos. The night wasn't over until this happened...lol. Not sure exactly what year that was or if you remember any of that, it would have been somewhere around '99-'01 or so.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, that kit Cobra also belonged to Tommy, he sold it over this last off-season. He put a new SBC in the Malibu wagon last fall, not sure if the turbos are in place yet though, I've only seen him once or twice this year and didn't hear the car running. He still talks about Ronnie Rice and that Mustang quite often.

I remember the El Camino as well. Speaking of Fast Times, the building right next to their shop used to be a place called Supreme sheet metal, or something like that, Phil with the millennium yellow BBC '71 Chevelle used to work there. He's still got that car, I've known him since high school when the car was still green, before he restored it. Back in the Photo's days it was a weekend tradition for him and Matt Simmons (another guy I went to HS with, he had a sport bike at this point) to do a quick run down Wolf rd. just south of Photos. The night wasn't over until this happened...lol. Not sure exactly what year that was or if you remember any of that, it would have been somewhere around '99-'01 or so.
I think i know that yellow chevelle, does it have a fast times sticker on the window with like polished torque thrust wheels or something? And yeah i remember there always being cars that would pull a holeshot down wolf when leaving the show lol.

Funny thing is i dont remember the 4th gen crowd that you hung around with, these cars at the time just didnt interest me lol..fast forward 20 years and now i own one, go figure haha.

Last edited by BFK86; 06-23-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I think i know that yellow chevelle, does it have a fast times sticker on the window with like polished torque thrust wheels or something? And yeah i remember there always being cars that would pull a holeshot down wolf when leaving the show lol.
Yep, that's Phil. He often hangs out with Glenn these days (black '70 RS/Z28.) Him and Matt would do a little bit more than just a hole shot, but that was always late at night after the bulk of the show was already over. We'd stand in the street and watch them get almost down to central. Good times.

Do you know a guy named John Mckenzie? He owns Craig's Towing, and is a big turbo Buick guy. I met him back in 1996 or so, he's not as much of a regular at these local shows but pops in from time to time. He's always had two or three GNs at any given time, I think he still owns Pete Barton's old race car too. These days he's also got a black C6 ZR1, and that's probably his slowest car at the moment...haha.

Funny thing is i dont remember the 4th gen crowd that you hung around with, these cars at the time just didnt interest me lol..fast forward 20 years and now i own one, go figure haha.
That's pretty understandable, LS1 4th gens were brand new at the time so they weren't anything special to see at a show. The stock performance of these cars got me hooked, and they came along right at a time where I could afford my first new car. So I took a break from the old cars and spent some time focusing on LS1s during that period. Several of us had some pretty quick examples for the time, usually just cam + bolt-ons or heads/cam, but the most noteworthy one was that Procharged WS6. It belonged to a good friend of mine at the time, Jason Stevenson (him and his uncle own Rose Towing.) It was something of a club project car, several of us had lots of time into putting it together and tuning.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Well it looks like the weather is cooperating for tonight....hope to see everyone at MP and/or Lombard.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I was at MP from 6:30 to 8:30, didn't see any of you guys there but it took me about a hour to make it all the way through the lot since I kept running into people that I needed to catch up with. So maybe you left before I made it to the end.

The only 4th gen that I saw was a Polo green '94 Firehawk, belonged to a a guy named Eric who just recently bought it. I think he's Harold's (white C6 GS 'vert) son. I had seen the car for sale online over the winter, it was at a dealer in the western suburbs. Also saw John's 50th Anniversary SS for the first time, that's only the second one I've seen in person. Jennings in Glenview had one on their lot last fall, but his came from a dealer in Iowa.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was at MP from 6:30 to 8:30, didn't see any of you guys there but it took me about a hour to make it all the way through the lot since I kept running into people that I needed to catch up with. So maybe you left before I made it to the end.

The only 4th gen that I saw was a Polo green '94 Firehawk, belonged to a a guy named Eric who just recently bought it. I think he's Harold's (white C6 GS 'vert) son. I had seen the car for sale online over the winter, it was at a dealer in the western suburbs. Also saw John's 50th Anniversary SS for the first time, that's only the second one I've seen in person. Jennings in Glenview had one on their lot last fall, but his came from a dealer in Iowa.
Lol somehow we keep missing you guys, we probably left around 7..since i live like 1/2 mile from there i wanted to drive a bit more so we went to Lombard..theres always a good turnout there, tons of 4th and 5th gens show up there, usually a constant flow of cars driving down the main drag. Heres a few pics i took

Name:  20170624_202512_zpsmncnowj0.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  426.8 KB

Name:  20170624_192958_zpstdhc5wvm.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  295.0 KB

Name:  20170624_195509_zpsffuy43uf.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  374.9 KB
Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Lol somehow we keep missing you guys, we probably left around 7..since i live like 1/2 mile from there i wanted to drive a bit more so we went to Lombard..theres always a good turnout there, tons of 4th and 5th gens show up there, usually a constant flow of cars driving down the main drag. Heres a few pics i took
We were in the middle of the lot for about an hour talking to Jimpala & Robin ('94 & '96 Caprices, both dark red), Mike & Kathy (blue 1st gen Mustang 'vert, plus red and gold '69 Firebirds) and Mopar Ray ('70 Super Bee 440/6, Plum Crazy.) Not sure if you know any of those folks or cars. If you were down at the far end again, I didn't make it to that area until probably 7:30 or so. Guess I should start at the exit next time, one of these days we're bound to cross paths.

Is Lombard every week, or like a once-a-month thing?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

We were in the middle of the lot for about an hour talking to Jimpala & Robin ('94 & '96 Caprices, both dark red), Mike & Kathy (blue 1st gen Mustang 'vert, plus red and gold '69 Firebirds) and Mopar Ray ('70 Super Bee 440/6, Plum Crazy.) Not sure if you know any of those folks or cars. If you were down at the far end again, I didn't make it to that area until probably 7:30 or so. Guess I should start at the exit next time, one of these days we're bound to cross paths.

Is Lombard every week, or like a once-a-month thing?
Ive seen most of those cars, i saw one SS impala that was LS swapped, if that was one of your friends. Lombard is a weekly show on saturdays..way more cars and stuff going on there, they usually have a band playing on one of the side streets, they designate all of the street parking for show cars and the side streets and lots are also for car show cars..its a good time.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Weather looks favorable for Saturday. Likely I'll be at the MP show and potentially cruise down to Lombard unless my headers arrive and get installed.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend and I were parked in those same spots and left to check out the Downtown Lisle show just be fore you got there. I usually try to hit Lombard at least a few times a year.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Exeodus
My friend and I were parked in those same spots and left to check out the Downtown Lisle show just be fore you got there. I usually try to hit Lombard at least a few times a year.
haha really? Do you guys have Fbodys? would be ironic if you did.

Quick Reply: Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm