Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"If you're not breaking things, you're not trying to go fast" ha!

To be honest it's been so long that I am trying to remember some of the other guys that were swinging for the fences with their cars. To name a few at that time he was in the conversation with (Chicago guys) Camn Hawk, Last LS1, The Juggernaut, FantaZ28, he hung out with silverghost, timmy2stage, and a few others who weren't as LS based but racers none the less. The Chicago racing scene at that point seemed like everyone knew everyone (or their cars/crew)
Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by omaha stylee
The Chicago racing scene at that point seemed like everyone knew everyone (or their cars/crew)

It sure was active back then. So many guys, so many spots. We had some good times, but I rarely encounter many of those faces any more. A couple of them do still have some of the same cars.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Feels like spring... finally. Looking forward to meeting some of you fellas in the coming weeks. Hopefully we get a decent rainfall to get rid of the rest of the salt.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Feels like spring... finally. Looking forward to meeting some of you fellas in the coming weeks. Hopefully we get a decent rainfall to get rid of the rest of the salt.
Somehow I've always managed to miss several of the guys in this thread at the various shows. I remember seeing your car exactly one time at MP, shortly after you bought it, but you were already on NWH sitting at the light. I just missed you.

That salt thing is so frustrating. We had all that rain, and the streets were clear, and then just a tiny bit more snow messed up everything. Now, nice weather on tap for DAYS, but salt covered roads everywhere. LOL. This has been the winter that won't quit.

Looks like opening night for MP is May 12th.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BFK86
Refresh my memory again, you live somewhere in mount prospect or arlington hts right? I'm the guy that lives in mount prospect close to the downtown area..would be cool to meet you and check out that formula of yours one of these days.
Were you out cruising on Central earlier today? I think i saw you/your car.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Were you out cruising on Central earlier today? I think i saw you/your car.
Sorry haven't been on here in a while, but if this was the car you saw it was me. Had my car out alot lately, been off all week and the weather has been great, can't resist taking it out lol.

Speaking of that area where you saw me, I've consistently seen this red WS6 parked in the com ed lot on Arthur right by your neighborhood...wonder if he's a local.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Looks like opening night at MP tomorrow will be a wash out.

I did get the '98 out on Monday for its emissions test. Just two more of those before it gets AV plates. I remember buying these cars brand new, hard to believe they're approaching antique status now.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Av plate = no emission test?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by merim123
Av plate = no emission test?
Yes sir. At this point, 1995 and earlier are automatically exempt in IL since the OBD scan-only test has become the standard. But to get a '96+ car exempted, you have to either qualify for the 'race car/show car exemption' or wait until you can apply for AV plates at 25 years old. Not such a big deal as it was years ago, since custom tuning can make just about anything pass, but I just don't like the hassle of taking the car there anyway. Plus the AV plates are only $30 for 5 years. Not sure if the exemption also applies to the newer Expanded AV (EA) plates, but I assume it would. AV status used to be available at 20 years old in IL, but I think that changed at the 2004 renewal cycle.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yes sir. At this point, 1995 and earlier are automatically exempt in IL since the OBD scan-only test has become the standard. But to get a '96+ car exempted, you have to either qualify for the 'race car/show car exemption' or wait until you can apply for AV plates at 25 years old. Not such a big deal as it was years ago, since custom tuning can make just about anything pass, but I just don't like the hassle of taking the car there anyway. Plus the AV plates are only $30 for 5 years. Not sure if the exemption also applies to the newer Expanded AV (EA) plates, but I assume it would. AV status used to be available at 20 years old in IL, but I think that changed at the 2004 renewal cycle.
I think i'm going to do this for my '94. Not for emission testing, but 5 years for 30 is cheap.

how do you get around this to just drive over to home depot or pick up take out, always going to a service station ?

"Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration. "
Old 05-14-2018, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I think i'm going to do this for my '94. Not for emission testing, but 5 years for 30 is cheap.
Yeah, for a '94 you're already exempt either way, as long as the car was previously in compliance.

how do you get around this to just drive over to home depot or pick up take out, always going to a service station ?

"Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration. "
A few years ago they introduced the "EA" (expanded antique) plates just for this reason. You can drive it like a normal car during the spring/summer/fall, and the AV rules only apply during winter. These plates are more expensive, but only about half the cost of normal plates. Probably a good idea if you plan to drive the car regularly.

But, in all honesty, I've had regular/original AV plates on my current '71 for the entire 10 years I've owned it and I've never once been bothered about this. Granted, I rarely drive the car more than 500 miles per year, but I know a lot of other guys with old cars like this who've never been hassled either. I have two friends who are local cops and both have said that this isn't something you'd get bothered for unless they were already specifically looking for a reason to pull you over. I guess if you were driving the car all the time and the same cop saw you day after day, perhaps there might be a problem. Otherwise, who's to say you aren't taking the car on a road test after performing service yourself?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Launching!

If the weather holds out ill likely be at the MP show this evening. I believe the rolling meadows show starts next saturday?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I was at MP tonight, from about 7-8:30. Didn't see anyone from here, but I did meet a new guy with a black '97 Formula. Nice car, 49k miles and in very good condition. Pretty light turnout because of the garbage looking sky I'm sure.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 AM
Launching!

Weather is looking better than was previously forecasted for the weekend. If that holds true I will have the bird out. Couldnt make it last weekend due to life getting in the way.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to try to make it out for this one also, if the weather holds. Will have my silver Z06.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Weather is looking better than was previously forecasted for the weekend. If that holds true I will have the bird out. Couldnt make it last weekend due to life getting in the way.
Pretty sure I saw your car tonight, parked down near the far exit. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, I tried to keep an eye out for when someone returned to the car but clearly I didn't do a good job. LOL. I was in the group over by the center exit near the street.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Pretty sure I saw your car tonight, parked down near the far exit. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, I tried to keep an eye out for when someone returned to the car but clearly I didn't do a good job. LOL. I was in the group over by the center exit near the street.
wait you were there tonight?? Lol how do we keep missing you? Myself and taprxxt were talking with omaha stylee for a while at the end of the night. We got there around 6 and left at 9ish..we parked down by the end.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BFK86
wait you were there tonight?? Lol how do we keep missing you? Myself and taprxxt were talking with omaha stylee for a while at the end of the night. We got there around 6 and left at 9ish..we parked down by the end.
This is nuts. LOL.

I didn't get there until just before 7, so I guess that's why I didn't see your car pull through. But I did see the white Formula come in and park, but I couldn't get down there right away. Then it looked like nobody was there, so I thought I'd wait until someone came back, but I never saw the car leave. From where I was, somehow I didn't even see your car. I didn't have either of my cars with me, but I was standing in the group near the center exit with the dark red Procharged BBC Fox body, white C6 GS convertible, white Challenger T/A, and silver '79 Malibu. Then a couple other friends with a black '70 Coupe DeVille and a '94 PPM Z28 parked near us. We didn't leave until about 10pm.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:49 AM
Launching!

This is nuts. LOL.

I didn't get there until just before 7, so I guess that's why I didn't see your car pull through. But I did see the white Formula come in and park, but I couldn't get down there right away. Then it looked like nobody was there, so I thought I'd wait until someone came back, but I never saw the car leave. From where I was, somehow I didn't even see your car. I didn't have either of my cars with me, but I was standing in the group near the center exit with the dark red Procharged BBC Fox body, white C6 GS convertible, white Challenger T/A, and silver '79 Malibu. Then a couple other friends with a black '70 Coupe DeVille and a '94 PPM Z28 parked near us. We didn't leave until about 10pm.
I stopped over by you guys for a bit im always amazed at that fox body fitting a motor of that size. (With a blower to boot) I spent about 2 minutes trying to see if that LT1 Z was PPM. It was driving me nuts because the sun was going down so it was much harder identify if it was silver or PPM. I always had a soft spot for that color.

BFK & Tapxxrt it was nice chatting with you guys! RPM ill catch you at the next one.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I stopped over by you guys for a bit im always amazed at that fox body fitting a motor of that size. (With a blower to boot) I spent about 2 minutes trying to see if that LT1 Z was PPM. It was driving me nuts because the sun was going down so it was much harder identify if it was silver or PPM. I always had a soft spot for that color.

BFK & Tapxxrt it was nice chatting with you guys! RPM ill catch you at the next one.
Haha, you literally must've walked right by me then. The Fox body belongs to a friend named Jeff, it's a 565ci Dart block plus an F2 Procharger. That car is an animal. Did you get to talk with him at all? I was standing right near him most of the night, can't believe we still missed each other.

Yeah, that LT1 car is definitely PPM. He was parked down by the entrance earlier in the night but moved to the end when they starting shutting down around 9. It belongs to another friend named Bob, we call him Corvette Bob because he's had a bunch of C3s and a C4 for as long as we've known him. He bought it last year from a guy that had two PPM Z28s (a '93 and a '94), this one had 29k miles at the time.

Quick Reply: Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm