LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Midwestern Members (https://ls1tech.com/forums/midwestern-members-55/)
-   -   Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm (https://ls1tech.com/forums/midwestern-members/1836577-rolling-meadows-cruise-nights-fridays-5-8pm.html)

Taprxxt 06-23-2016 01:00 PM

Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm

If anyone lives in the northwest burbs of Chicago and are interested in a pretty decent cruise night check out Rolling Meadows Cruise Night on Fridays from 5-8pm. When the weather is good they'll usually get 350-450 cars to come through. Address is 2401 Kirchoff Rd, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008. Usually a decent amount of LS cars there.

RPM WS6 06-23-2016 11:37 PM

I always had a great time at this event when it was at the old Dominick's lot close to the current location, and for the couple of seasons when it was at Meijer. The Friday night traffic coming from Chicago just got to be too much hassle though, so I found a smaller spot much closer to home. Rolling Meadows is still a great event and I would be there regularly if I lived closer.

If you are looking for another equally big show, actually sometimes bigger, there is also Skokie (Old Orchard Mall) on Monday nights.

You may also know about Mt. Prospect on Saturday nights, but that show is limited to about ~200 cars due to lot size. The lot is always full, lots of cars cruising through that never even get a chance to park.

Taprxxt 06-24-2016 09:10 AM

I always had a great time at this event when it was at the old Dominick's lot close to the current location, and for the couple of seasons when it was at Meijer. The Friday night traffic coming from Chicago just got to be too much hassle though, so I found a smaller spot much closer to home. Rolling Meadows is still a great event and I would be there regularly if I lived closer.

If you are looking for another equally big show, actually sometimes bigger, there is also Skokie (Old Orchard Mall) on Monday nights.

You may also know about Mt. Prospect on Saturday nights, but that show is limited to about ~200 cars due to lot size. The lot is always full, lots of cars cruising through that never even get a chance to park.
That Dominick's show was one of the best around and it usually went until 11pm or later whereas most of the shows now die down around 9. I am familiar with the Prospect show and yes that lot is way too small but there is usually a good turnout. I'll have to try out Skokie on Monday's. Lombard has a great one on Saturday evenings from 6-10 as well....the cars line the streets and fill various parking lots in the downtown area.

BassProCamaro97 07-05-2016 11:23 AM

Hopefully I'll make it out to a show at Rolling Meadows this year. Don't think I went to any last year. Rarely do I cruise too far from my area due to the whole 3 MPG thing but I will try my best.

~Jim~

Taprxxt 07-05-2016 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97 (Post 19318006)
Hopefully I'll make it out to a show at Rolling Meadows this year. Don't think I went to any last year. Rarely do I cruise too far from my area due to the whole 3 MPG thing but I will try my best.

~Jim~

lol 3 MPG :D

RPM WS6 07-05-2016 02:36 PM

Saw a couple of very nice 4th gens at Mt. Prospect Saturday, a pewter SS and a black SS convertible. I've seen both before, in fact I was parked next to the pewter SS for the last show of the season in 2015, but I've never had a chance to talk to either owner. Wonder if they are members here? The pewter car is an especially premium example, I would assume 4-digit mileage or very low 5-digit...that car is still assembly-line crisp in certain critical areas.

BassProCamaro97 07-06-2016 02:11 PM

Ya 3 MPG is pretty accurate. It'll pass everything but a gas station :gruffy:

I know it took me a full 10 gallons to get to and from my folks house which was 30 miles round trip. I was bone dry when I reached the gas station.

~Jim~

Taprxxt 07-07-2016 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6 (Post 19318219)
Saw a couple of very nice 4th gens at Mt. Prospect Saturday, a pewter SS and a black SS convertible. I've seen both before, in fact I was parked next to the pewter SS for the last show of the season in 2015, but I've never had a chance to talk to either owner. Wonder if they are members here? The pewter car is an especially premium example, I would assume 4-digit mileage or very low 5-digit...that car is still assembly-line crisp in certain critical areas.

I was going to stop there on Saturday and never ended up making it. I am planning on being out there this coming Saturday for sure. If you're out this way again I'll probably see you there. I think I have seen those two cars you are talking about a few times...might even have a pic of them at the shows. I never had a chance to speak with the owners either.

RPM WS6 07-08-2016 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Taprxxt (Post 19320297)
I was going to stop there on Saturday and never ended up making it. I am planning on being out there this coming Saturday for sure. If you're out this way again I'll probably see you there. I think I have seen those two cars you are talking about a few times...might even have a pic of them at the shows. I never had a chance to speak with the owners either.

As of now, I plan to be there tomorrow. But I usually don't bring the '98/'71 to this event as I can rarely get there early enough to find parking in the show. Last week I had to park about a half mile away.

Taprxxt 07-08-2016 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6 (Post 19321632)
As of now, I plan to be there tomorrow. But I usually don't bring the '98/'71 to this event as I can rarely get there early enough to find parking in the show. Last week I had to park about a half mile away.

Ya the lot size is terrible. You can park directly across the street from the show though in that vacant parking lot to the left of sub express. I have never seen that lot fill up. I've always thought they should use it as an overflow lot for cars in the show but doubt that will ever happen.

RPM WS6 07-08-2016 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Taprxxt (Post 19321941)
Ya the lot size is terrible. You can park directly across the street from the show though in that vacant parking lot to the left of sub express. I have never seen that lot fill up. I've always thought they should use it as an overflow lot for cars in the show but doubt that will ever happen.

That spectator/expansion lot across the street has filled up at least twice so far this year, just depends on when you arrive. Last week I had to park all the way down by Central, at the north end of the side street that accesses the spectator lot next to the sub place. That was the closest spot.

Taprxxt 07-09-2016 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6 (Post 19322032)
That spectator/expansion lot across the street has filled up at least twice so far this year, just depends on when you arrive. Last week I had to park all the way down by Central, at the north end of the side street that accesses the spectator lot next to the sub place. That was the closest spot.

Ha i'll be honest i've only been there once this year ... Lombard is always my first choice on Saturdays even though it's farther. I will probably be at MP tonight though. Was this the SS you were talking about the other day?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...3d6bf56ff3.jpg

BFK86 07-09-2016 03:54 PM

hey RPM, you should come out to meadows or lombard next week, me and taprxxt will be there..would be cool to meet another forum member.

RPM WS6 07-10-2016 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Taprxxt (Post 19322723)
Ha i'll be honest i've only been there once this year ... Lombard is always my first choice on Saturdays even though it's farther. I will probably be at MP tonight though. Was this the SS you were talking about the other day?

I was at Mt. Prospect tonight, but I didn't see anything that resembled your car - I left at about 8:30 though. I was there in my Nova, it's silver with a black top and Cragar S/S wheels.

The only LS1 car I saw was a white 2002 SS convertible that belonged to another forum member who I met for the first time tonight. Another extremely nice example, his car is pictured in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...pd-1-52-a.html

Turns out that he knows both the pewter SS and black SS convertible owners that were present the week before. The pewter car pictured above may well be the one in question, apparently the owner's name is Pete.

Originally Posted by BFK86 (Post 19322862)
hey RPM, you should come out to meadows or lombard next week, me and taprxxt will be there..would be cool to meet another forum member.

Friday nights I go to a small show in Rosemont, the drive to Rolling Meadows from my area in Friday traffic is awful. I did used to go out there quite often when the show was in the Dominick's lot.

F-bodynut64 07-10-2016 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Taprxxt, the photo of the pewter 01 SS is indeed the car RPM was referring to. Good friend of mine and a amazing car! I own the 02 that Ryan spotted at Mt. Prospect last night. On Friday, I was parked right behind the pewter SS, but not with my SS. I had the Impala out that night. You might have seen it. Marina blue, black vinyl top. 16,000 mile original unrestored car. Hope to meet you soon!!

RPM WS6 07-11-2016 03:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by F-bodynut64 (Post 19324163)
Taprxxt, the photo of the pewter 01 SS is indeed the car RPM was referring to. Good friend of mine and a amazing car! I own the 02 that Ryan spotted at Mt. Prospect last night. On Friday, I was parked right behind the pewter SS, but not with my SS. I had the Impala out that night. You might have seen it. Marina blue, black vinyl top. 16,000 mile original unrestored car. Hope to meet you soon!!

I didn't realize you were also an old car/4th gen combo person, that's great! I look forward to one day seeing your Impala as well, and would love to hear more details about it. 1967 and '68 are my top two favorite body styles for full-sized Chevrolet. The current rarity of such an original, low mile example is exceptional - you have a fine collection and, again, it was great to meet another local who is still so enthusiastic about the particulars and details of 4th gens. :cheers:

My '71 is not nearly as low mile or original as your '67, nothing of the drivetrain is numbers matching but everything is generally era correct; cosmetically, it has been stripped/repainted and restored where needed, but much of the trim and interior is still original:

Attachment 627090

And here is the one that I didn't have with me on Saturday, other than a couple of minor bolt-ons it is exactly as it left the assembly line (the original N98 wheels are stored away):

Attachment 627091

F-bodynut64 07-11-2016 06:07 AM

Wow! Very nice cars Ryan! Yes, you will probably enjoy the 67. It's a L36 427 car. Factory a/c, power windows, cruise, rear defogger. A time capsule.

Taprxxt 07-11-2016 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RPM WS6 (Post 19323261)
I was at Mt. Prospect tonight, but I didn't see anything that resembled your car - I left at about 8:30 though. I was there in my Nova, it's silver with a black top and Cragar S/S wheels.

The only LS1 car I saw was a white 2002 SS convertible that belonged to another forum member who I met for the first time tonight. Another extremely nice example, his car is pictured in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...pd-1-52-a.html

Turns out that he knows both the pewter SS and black SS convertible owners that were present the week before. The pewter car pictured above may well be the one in question, apparently the owner's name is Pete.

Friday nights I go to a small show in Rosemont, the drive to Rolling Meadows from my area in Friday traffic is awful. I did used to go out there quite often when the show was in the Dominick's lot.

I had to park across the street in that spectator lot. Arrived around 545 and drove through the lot but it was full. I saw the White SS as well. May have seen your Nova too and if it's the car I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure I've seen you around the shows in the past. I talked to the guy with the Pewter SS in the pic above at the RM show Friday....car has around 20k on it. One of my buddies brought his LT Camaro Sat too, less than 10k on it and very clean. I'm sure you've seen it before ... he parks next to his dad (the guy with the army truck). I'll potentially be at the RM show this coming Friday (Rosemont would be tough to get to from where I am at that time just as RM is for you). Saturday I am about 99% sure it'll be Lombard (a few very clean 4th gens there the last few weekends)...we might cruise through MP beforehand though.

See below for one of the 4th gens at Lombard a few weeks back...

Taprxxt 07-11-2016 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by F-bodynut64 (Post 19324163)

I definitely saw it, very nice car. Wish I had a few more minutes to hang around and chat...I was in a hurry that night and only stopped by the show for a few min (since it's 2 min from my house I can always fit it in :) )

RPM WS6 07-11-2016 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by F-bodynut64 (Post 19324280)
Wow! Very nice cars Ryan!

Thanks! :)

Originally Posted by F-bodynut64 (Post 19324280)
Yes, you will probably enjoy the 67. It's a L36 427 car. Factory a/c, power windows, cruise, rear defogger. A time capsule.

It just keeps getting better...haha. A 427 B-body in that sort of condition is certainly a treat, what a find! That's a well optioned example. The tail lights stand out as interesting to me, I think I've only ever see that style on formal roofline Caprice models before. Very unique to appear on an Impala fastback. Was this available separately, or included as a component of another option/trim package?

Originally Posted by Taprxxt (Post 19324720)
I had to park across the street in that spectator lot. Arrived around 545 and drove through the lot but it was full. I saw the White SS as well. May have seen your Nova too and if it's the car I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure I've seen you around the shows in the past. I talked to the guy with the Pewter SS in the pic above at the RM show Friday....car has around 20k on it. One of my buddies brought his LT Camaro Sat too, less than 10k on it and very clean. I'm sure you've seen it before ... he parks next to his dad (the guy with the army truck). I'll potentially be at the RM show this coming Friday (Rosemont would be tough to get to from where I am at that time just as RM is for you). Saturday I am about 99% sure it'll be Lombard (a few very clean 4th gens there the last few weekends)...we might cruise through MP beforehand though.

See below for one of the 4th gens at Lombard a few weeks back...

I'm at Mt. Prospect all the time, and I used to bring the Nova a lot when parking was easier to find. I haven't had it out much this year but there is only one other similar Nova that I've ever seen at Mt. Prospect in the past (also silver, '70-'72), don't think that one has been around in a few years though.

I remember that '97 LT1 Camaro all the way back to the Photo's days, prior to the train station show. I think his name is Brian? And did he used to work at Lattof Chevrolet?