Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

*** ATTN All COFBA.ORG Members ***

Old 08-19-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation *** ATTN All COFBA.ORG Members ***

Our club server has died, the main hard drive crashed. It should be back on line hopefully within the next 2 weeks. Check back from time to time for any more details.

Bill
Old 08-19-2005, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct.

The server's hard drive had a "catastrophic" failure early Tuesday morning, rendering it unusable.

The data can be recovered, however, for a nominal fee. This will also include installation of a new Unix OS and repair of the server. We will need to purchase two hard drives, however.

In addition, I've located hosting for the server through my brother for $50/month. This will get us a dedicated IP and line on their backbone, along with 24/7 local technical support.

I have approached Ryan about getting the Executive Committee together tomorrow to decide whether we continue with this, or if anyone else has another option.

However, everyone's personal webspace has been lost. The accounts will be re-created in the future once we get everything established.

PM or IM me if you have any questions.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DarkFormula

The data can be recovered, however, for a nominal fee. This will also include installation of a new Unix OS and repair of the server. We will need to purchase two hard drives, however.

However, everyone's personal webspace has been lost. The accounts will be re-created in the future once we get everything established.
The place where we take the HD to will determine what will be recovered, correct?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you for unlocking it!

ALL COFBA members check in here:

http://stevil.easy48.com/cgi-bin/ne...d/newsboard.cgi

Our Norwalk Track rental is still a go:

http://stevil.easy48.com/cofba/
Old 08-21-2005, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

There isn't a place we're taking it, it's already there. Decisions have been explored about the data recovery/server rebuild/hosting ideas.

Everything should be back up in two weeks or less.

Last edited by DarkFormula; 08-21-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Not that I do not value anyone's opinion, but I don't think it would hurt to get a second one on the server repair and recovery cost from a 3rd party determined by the COFBA officers. We may want to also consider exploring other options on where to have the site hosted. We may be able to host the board somewhere where we dont need to purchase a server ourselves, or there may be somewhere else to have our server where we will not experience the delays in changes, adding member webspace, etc. that we have had in the past. Just a thought. I wont be able to make the meeting today. Please keep us informed.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

$500-2400 for data recovery for a 3rd party. This doesn't include the repair of the server, OS installation, and relocation.

The server will be relocated where I will have 24 hour access to it, as well as 24/7 technical support. No more delays in anything due to lack of availability. We tried "hosting packages" previously, and ended up buying a server to get away from that.

This is the best route to go with for ease of cost, accessibility, and efficiency.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Teching In

So the officers have shopped that price around? I didn't know that. Not that everything you say isn't gold Anthony, but those prices seem a little high to me, and I'd sure be interested to see what a legitimate company, or someone with no inside influence has to say. Both with regard to repairing the server, AND the hosting issue. It may be just me, but I am always more assured when an outside opinion, gathered by someone other than the person with the inside opinion, backs up what is being said initially.

Last edited by Zeppelin; 08-21-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Those prices were gathered from local sources when I worked for ADS as a PC Technician and we dealt with a corporate individual's hard drive failure.

The reason I head the web/server issues is because I know what I'm doing with them. Most people aren't as adept as "technical" talk, so to say.

However, you're more than welcome to shop around if you think the prices are high and come back with some price quotes of your own. You'll need pricing for:

1) Complete data recovery of a hard drive with dead cylinders and a dead read/write head.

2) Complete overhaul of an IBM Intellibox server

3) Installation and configuration of a Linux operating system, including FTP, POP3/SMTP, and SQL installation and configuration. Also would be the purchase and installation/configuration of a wed-based Administrator interface.

4) Purchase of additional hard drives (the 18GB ones are too small now), installation, and configuration to include EPX3 file system integration

5) Physical relocation and setup of the server, including mapping the static IP and DNS entries

6) Hosting to include 24/7 local access and technical support, static IP, statis DNS server(s), and the ability to be hosted without a "liability" waiver for hosting a private server on someone else's private network backbone.

There's a few things I'm missing, but you get the general idea. You and anyone else is more than welcome to excercise these options, shop around, and come back with a price quote.

BTW, everything listed above in a combined total cannot exceed $1200. That's the price I've gathered LOCALLY to keep everything within a realm of reach for accessibility. Feel free to pass on this info and have people submit their/your quote totals to the EC.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

You didn't send the hard drive out to anyone yet have you? Larry is right, the Officers will have to make that decision on what to do with it, even if we want to recover the data or just start over fresh.

FWIW, Kelly's computer died today, the power supply burnt up. I went to the "Computer Factory" on E Main and bought a new power supply. Got home plugged it in, the computer woundn't boot up, checked into it more, when the PS died, it took the Hard drive with it, it doesn't spin up.

I called the "Computer Factory" to see if they can get the data off of it and they said maybe, I asked how much and they said if they get the data off, it's $69.99, if they can't, no charge.

Before COFBA shells out any money for anything, let's shop around first, no need in wasting $100s of dollars if not needed.

Give me the HD, I know guys at work that can probably extract the data, ever hear of Bell Labs? They know a thing or too, probably more than anyone here.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Copied from the temporary board:

Originally Posted by gillbot
I mentioned this once, I'll mention it here.
I still have the old host for my old Dayton board available for free to use as a temporary solution if you guys want to. Cost, FREE. It will run until sometime in '07. It doesn't have unlimited bandwidth or space as you are used to but for free, you can't complain much. I don't know COFBA's useage stats but I thought I'd offer it up to help out.
I also know of a pretty low cost and reliable hosting solution if you guys decide to entertain that option. I can get competitive rates if I know the exact usage stats.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkFormula
that sucks, i take it we will have to recreate our space?

i though you guys already had backups in place for the harddrives?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:02 AM
10 Second Club

Bill, the drive has done been given and restored. I didn't pick up the server, someone else did and we needed the info NOW, not when people feel like it. Remember, Brian's business is being affected. Some people don't seem to be able to see past that.

What's done is done, and to make it even better, two people showed up to the meeting yesterday? Talk about priorities! No one except for me seems to want to take any sort of initiative to do anything but sit back and bitch. It does get tiresome after awhile.

I recall just last month people throwing a fit and commenting how it's "nice for a club to be able own their personal server". Now that it coms to spending money to keep that alive, the attitude changes. Whatever.

I personally don't really give a **** anymore as long as I get my $100 investment back for said server. CR and DTM are going to be up light years ahead of COFBA, because the members of CR actually have something they're willing to sacrifice for and spend some extra $$$ on.

I'm pissed off. I'll call you when I'm in a better mood, it's too early for this.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Exclamation

Like I said at the last club meeting we had last week, we had the extra hard drives for almost 2 years, there is absolutly no excuse for them not being installed in our server to be used for a backup. 2 years!!!!!!!

Kinda funny that as soon as the server goes down and affects CR members, people rush out and do something about it within a day or two A bunch of BS if you ask me.

As for you sending out the HD to get recovered, you had no right to do that unless Ryan and Matt told you to do that. We have Officers and club bylaws in place for a reason. Now it's gonna cost us way more $$$ than what it should because you were in a hurry for your CR friends.

Everyone in COFBA now knows were your priorities are, CR and it's been that way for a few years now.

[/stepping off soap box]
Old 08-22-2005, 09:54 AM
BMF
Teching In

Hey guys you each have each others phone numbers. No need to post this battle all over the internet. No I never told anyone to pull info off the hard drives, but what's done is done. I couldn't make the meeting yesterday due to personal reasons, basically my family and yes they take a higher priority then the club. Sorry but that is just the way it is. I am assuming that the data recovery charges will be split amongst the three groups that were effected by the server crash, I am right about that aren't I? As for the $1200 price you told Larry, you told me roughly $600-$700 why the price difference?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMF
Hey guys you each have each others phone numbers. No need to post this battle all over the internet.
ok, I just had to make my point. PM, email and over the phone it is...
Old 08-22-2005, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Bill, I will be more than welcome to give you Kyle's #. You can call him and ask why I wasn't allowed physical access to the server for 2+ years. I ******* tried, so quit pointing the finger and grow up.

It's not BS, it's reality. CR members seem to be now what COFBA was three years ago. Yeah, it's a wonder why CR is my "priority". Maybe another reason is people don't incessantly bitch about everything that doesn't go their way, they just deal with it and move on.

BTW, I did have a right to send it out. It belongs to three sites, not just one. And CR and DTM already paid into their recovery. COFBA's turn, which BTW, the money includes more than just the data return. Read my other posts.

Ryan, the price difference included the hosting for a year that we'd discussed.

Someone please lock this, it's retarded. All of these people have my phone #. They can call me if they need information. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

COFBA owns the HD not DTM or CR.

- Where did you take it?
- How much?
- Do you have a receipt?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

Again, you have my #. Use it or return my PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Billiumss
COFBA owns the HD not DTM or CR.
If it is true that COFBA owns the HD, were CR and DTM paying a fee for the space to COFBA? I'm not sure how that would work. Also, if COFBA indeed owns the HD, then it should definitely be an officers decision as to the repair and recovery method and place, I would say.

Originally Posted by Billiumss
- Where did you take it?
- How much?
- Do you have a receipt?
Why should that be a pm? I think all members would like to know that, and our treasurer will definitely want to know.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but it seems the officers of COFBA were not informed or asked what they wanted to do, and should have been if what Bill said about the HD belonging to COFBA is correct. I think this situation needs some looking into and some ground rules established so this does not happen in the future. It needs to be clear, and in WRITING, where the responsibility lies, what is owned by COFBA, and what needs to go through the COFBA officers before money is spent, as well as CR and DTM running on the COFBA HD. Not sure if that will still be the case in the future. Alternatives may need to be discussed also. Again, no offense Anthony, but it seems you have too much control over this situation, and the COFBA officers have too little. Just my opinion. I could be way off base.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *** ATTN All COFBA.ORG Members ***