Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Quad Cities living? I'm moving there!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quad Cities living? I'm moving there!

I am going to be moving to the Quad Cities area in February from good old Kansas. I graduated from college and will be working at the John Deere Harvester Works Factory in Moline, IL.

Any suggestions on appartments in the area?
What are the pros and cons to living either in IL, or IA? (I have an ORY)
Any other thoughts?

Thanks, and I can not wait to get to the Quad Cities!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Nice and close to Cordova Dragway.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

no testing in iowa..i run true duals and drive around on the street here all the time..but winter sucks bad ....but cordova is close ...and 93 octane is pretty cheap....

98 ss lots of mods....
Old 12-25-2004, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Welcome,you'll like it here.Lots to do and people are pretty good natured.I have no problem with my loud exhaust.Foxpoint appts. is OK.

You're not in kansas anymore.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

I went to KU and now I'm an hour east of the QC. Illinois has a much more favorable income tax rate, and cheaper vehicle registration. Iowa has the better shopping areas and slightly cheaper gas.

If you're working in Illinois, another plus to living in Illinois is avoiding the pain in the butt of bridge traffic, especially when there is work being done to one of the bridges.

The negative to Illinois is that overall, it's probably a little rougher than the Iowa side. But it's a good sized metro area, so you're going to have problems, and Davenport has its share on the Iowa side too.

Neither side of the river has emissions testing. You have to get into the Chicago metro area before you start getting tested.

I like the QC area. It's big enough that it offers most of what I'd ever want to see or do without some of the bigger headaches and costs seen in larger areas.

And yes, Cordova Dragway www.cordovadrag.com is within a 15-20 minute drive, and the local SCCA club www.sccagrr.com holds a lot of autocrosses each year.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the quad cities because it is not too big and not too small. There are many different apartment complexes all over. Fox pointe is decent, not remarkably cheap though. You'll have to look around. If your working in moline, I'd say try to find an appt in moline, preferably near the interstate (74). I'm going to start a QC members thread so you should check in there and hopefully we can get some street/strip nights going next year.

Oh yeah, the Quad Cities has tons of ricers and tons of stangs. Alot of the stangs are sixes though. I'll see a few mustangs a day, but maybe one or two 4th gen f-bodies and they are usually sixes too. A LS1 F-bod is not a common sight.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been here all my life (all 20 years of it) and the Quad Cities isn't too bad of a place to live. Honestly I've grown extremely bored of it, but that'll be true to any place I live. There's a large variety of things to do, so if you're new then you won't be bored for a long, long time. The cost of living isn't too high depending on what part of town you chose to stay in.

As for the car sightings, yes we are LOADED with ricers. And it's usually not "classy, expensive" rice like Fast and Furious-type rice; it's usually POS cars with a fart pipe slapped on and boom you have a race car-type rice. But there are also a LOT of fast cars within the Quad Cities: Stangs, FBodies, built muscle cars, Porsches, Vipers, Ferraris, a couple Ford GT's (a black one has been driving around for about a month now), Vettes, etc etc.

Basically you should find the QC a pretty pleasing place for quite some time. Good luck with finding a place to stay and also with the job.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

woot another Deere guy. I work out at world headquarters. What are you going to be doing at the Harv?

I just bought a house in Bettendorf, if you need somewhere to stay temporarily I've got a couple spare bedrooms that aren't being used.

QC's aren't too bad, I just moved here a little less than 2 years ago, lived in DM for a short time before and went to college in the Des Moines area.

J
Old 09-25-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by glennster
.Lots to do .

Like what.....? Just curious, I'll be there around december....
Old 10-03-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmm sounds like way too much...
Old 10-03-2005, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Nice golf courses,shopping,drag racing,several circle tracks,big name concerts,hockey,minor league ball,arena football.

Quick Reply: Quad Cities living? I'm moving there!