Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

good phone carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good phone carrier?

I have nextel for work right now. I don't pay for it so that's a nice perk.

I am debating getting my own personal phone. I hate the thought of spending 80 bucks a month when I don't have to though. What does everyone use and what does it cost you? I'd like to pick up a phone that supports WIFI and that I can check email, events with.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use verizon, I'm on a family plan though so my chunk of it is only $22 a month. Doesn't get me the txt and email or anything, just phone service.

Check their site, they have several different plans to choose from.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use US Cellular. Amazing carrier. It's probably the only carrier, in my town, that you can get service wherever you're at. My friends with Verizon don't get a very good signal. I'm also on a family plan. I believe it's around $25-$30 for my part. And I have Easyedge and a 150 or 250/month texting package too.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Sprint and the HTC Mogul PDA phone. I love it. I have the 450 minutes a month with free nights and weekends, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited internet and texts, insurance, and I pay $85 a month after taxes and all of that other BS.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Teching In

I don't chime in much but I had to say something on this subject cause I just got done dealing with this not long ago..

I just got done hasseling with Sprint.. Had them for 4 years when I lived in San Diego. I live in Iowa now. Good service for two years and then I had tons of dropped calls where I lived. Right about the time when Sprint and Nextel merged. Moved to Iowa and had more problems when out in more rural areas. I decided to do some shopping around.

I did a ton of research. Verizon seemed like a decent choice so I found some people with Verizon and did some testing. Network was better than Sprint but in Iowa still did not match up to what I needed. Plus, price of service is just plain freakin expensive. They charge extra for everything. Not for me.

At&t next. always been know for horrible cust service and been sued more times time than can count. I could not find anyone with service with AT&T or Cingular around here and I found out why. I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa and there is barley any service here and again, too expensive...

T-mobile looked good for the price but again. asked around and no one seemed to have them, because there coverge was horrible. Had these guys oncein San Diego before Sprint and got rid of them becuase had too many dropped calls... No research that I found said they ever improved this either.

So I asked around and found this carrier called US Cellular.. Everyone around here has them including my parents who have had them for 10+ years. They live in the middle of no where and get service. They seem to have service all over here. As far as price, not bad . And they have free UNLLIMITED INCOMING CALLS !! Freakin hell yeah ! & 7pm night and weekends.... I also found out that Chicago is thier home area and thier headquarters... They also have by far the best loyalty according to J.D. Power by a long shot....So far I've never heard a bad word about them.

So I got them and got a Motorola Q phone with windows mobile. You don't need wi-fi with this phone. It has internet everywhere.. My recommendation would be these guys if you live in the midwest especially Chicago.....
Old 02-09-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I ended up picking up an ic902. It's a nextel with sprint phone service. She claimed sprint was the best for the midwest. I said where does it not work, she said open areas like WI and the like. Nextel phone service isn't real great either though. The good thing about going this route is that if I don't like it, I can still get my own provider I also have 30 days if I don't like the sprint service for going back to nextel. Although this phone is pretty sweet compared to my i870.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had nextel for 2 years and there service was not that good. I had dropped calls. I swtched back to AT&T and have had no problems. I get a strong signal a majority of the time. Plus I get a corporate discount for my personal phone.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

well im happy so far. the sprint is working well and works when the nextel gets no service. worked all the way from cali to chicago without issue.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I run with Verizon. I just got the new Treo 755p, and I'm paying about $65 a month for pretty much everything but the data (internet) package. I have no complaints, as I get a good signal wherever I go.

I have a Nextel for work, and the signal on it sucks. I know Sprint carries them now, but for some reason a Sprint phone gets much better signal than the damn Nextel. Glad your Sprint phone is working out though.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

well the nextel is still on its own network. so technically my phone runs on a nextel network and the sprint network. a lot of times the nextel network doesnt reach my phone, but the sprint does so i can still make a call, just not walkie talkie.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 AM
9 Second Club

Well I have sprint and for those of you that have sprint/nextel, they have a great deal IMO called unlimited everything for 99 bucks a month so with tax it will be $115 or so. It includeds unlimited out going, incoming, unlimited text, unlimited everything you get the point. The offer ends 5/31/08. I switched my plan over starts next billing cycle. I think its a great deal. Check it out.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove around the whole Midwest with T-Mobile and no problems. I'm using a tri-band GSM phone from Europe too. People get those free after rebate phones and complain about service. Maybe I need to get a Cobalt and complain about how slow Chevy's cars are. You all do realize the coverages are not all one company. I have a whole list of networks I'm on when I leave Chicagoland area including Cingular.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
Well I have sprint and for those of you that have sprint/nextel, they have a great deal IMO called unlimited everything for 99 bucks a month so with tax it will be $115 or so. It includeds unlimited out going, incoming, unlimited text, unlimited everything you get the point. The offer ends 5/31/08. I switched my plan over starts next billing cycle. I think its a great deal. Check it out.
Verizon is running that same deal, but I don't think it expires. I'm still debating on running that package, but I just don't see me using my phone for internet enough to justify the extra money per month.