Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter

Is a converter worth the money, the car is only used as a weekend warrior on the streets with street tires? What is the best brand and should I go with 3200 or 2800?
J
Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Converters are defintely worth the money...if you do them right. Make sure you do supporting mods, like tranny cooler, TransGo shift kit, temp gauge, etc. I would look into 32-3400 range if you're going to drive it regularly. Names like Yank and Precision Industries should be at the top of your list. Just have it in the back of your mind...fuel mileage will suffer on this one.

I don't have one in the Z yet, but my Turbo Buick picked up .7 and 6 MPH with nothing more than a 3400 converter, shift kit, and trans cooler, plus it was way more fun to drive!!! Not bad for around $850!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Now where is a good place to have this part installed and how much will it cost me?
J
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Where you located?

a PI Vig or a Yank are definately the way to go. I know like... 5 people with Vigs and 1 with a yank, no complaints anywhere, they are solid. Don't go cheap, you'll be sorry.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be sure and install all the parts as turbowhistle86 suggested.
If you are decent with tools, you could install the temp gauge and cooler yourself. Most go with a B&M 24k unit. I would suggest installing them first anyway.
AFA the shift kit and converter, they can be installed at the same time, since the trans has to be pulled anyhow. But be sure and find someone who has installed the shift kit before. There are some little tricks that make it shift like stock unless you are deep into it. A novice install usually hits too hard under partial throttle. And use the TransGo HD2, it is the only decent one on the market.
Look to spend ~$400-500 in installion costs for everything.
Also, you may have to have your tune adjusted for the higher stall. Mine was too loose (slipped too much) until my tuner adjusted some tables. Now it is fine.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Performance Transmission in Clinton, IL did the rear end work/trans work on my Grand National and everything has been awesome.

I bought all the parts, but they installed an Aubrn diff, Moser axles, Richmond gear, Art Carr shift kit, PI Vigilante converter and trans cooler for around $800 all in the same day, and delivered it to my work when they were done!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Restricted User

We can definately get the install done for you without a problem. Shoot me a PM or call me if you need anything...

Quick Reply: Converter