Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Meeting With A Recruiter Tomorrow For The Marines

Old 12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meeting With A Recruiter Tomorrow For The Marines

So what should I expect. I have a lot of questions for him but what will be presented to me when I get there. I just hate going into something blind, you know. Looking forward to being part of the brotherhood after I get my degree!

Much Appreciated
Old 12-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Launching!

what do you want to/plan on doing?

active/reserves?
Officer/enlisted?

I assume you want to be an officer since you say you are waiting till after you get your degree, and it would be a waste not to become one.
Find out what you want to do...fly, fight,sit at a desk,watch people make omlettes....it's all out there....lol
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

definitely active and im still debating whether to be an officer or just to be enlisted. He recommended me doing officer cadet school over the summer and it seems like a great idea, plus it would pay for the rest of the time I will be in school I definitely want to be on the front line fighting. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makse sure you are done with school before you go active... to many people get cought up in the "enlist and we will pay for your school" then find out the hard way they don't have a lot of time for school.

If you don't plan on being a lifer (staying in for 20+ years) then I would do something that you can do when you get out in the civilian world.

I have met a lot of guys that went into jobs on the front lines and got out (before retirement) and found it very hard to find a job wjile other guys did something like medical, IT, ect ect and got out with good paying jobs waiting for them.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

interesting, thanks for the useful information man. Yea that's why Im having a hard time deciding about becoming an officer because I dont know how long I want to be in the military. And yea, there is no way i will get enlisted before I get out, he said officer cadet school was a 6 week program which is over the summer, than I could go back to school
Old 12-11-2008, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If your a smart guy (you know if you are) then I would go enlisted to start making some money and shoot for the MECEP program. Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program or the Enlisted Commissioning Program. The only problem is that there is no guarantee that you will get either of those programs....because thats on you to apply for it when your active. I know a lot of people who did that. Be sure to ask your recruiter about them. I would say if you are serious about joining.....the very least you should go reserves on the split option. That way you can knock out a year of school after boot camp and not worry about missing school because of a deployment or anything. Plus its easier to become an officer from enlisted that from civillian to officer. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Im a Marine recruiter as well.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ss1129
If your a smart guy (you know if you are) then I would go enlisted to start making some money and shoot for the MECEP program. Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program or the Enlisted Commissioning Program. The only problem is that there is no guarantee that you will get either of those programs....because thats on you to apply for it when your active. I know a lot of people who did that. Be sure to ask your recruiter about them. I would say if you are serious about joining.....the very least you should go reserves on the split option. That way you can knock out a year of school after boot camp and not worry about missing school because of a deployment or anything. Plus its easier to become an officer from enlisted that from civillian to officer. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Im a Marine recruiter as well.
yea I just received the pamphlet about becoming a Marine Officer and Id feel a lot more comfortable starting as an enlisted Marine, that way I have more experience under my belt. I will ask him about those programs, as for duty, that's exactly what I want to do, going into reserves, that way I can get school knocked out. I appreciate all the help.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
yea I just received the pamphlet about becoming a Marine Officer and Id feel a lot more comfortable starting as an enlisted Marine, that way I have more experience under my belt. I will ask him about those programs, as for duty, that's exactly what I want to do, going into reserves, that way I can get school knocked out. I appreciate all the help.
how much school do you have left?

that would be the basis for my opinion. If you have a year left, finish up and then join OCS. If you have more than a year left you can go to the PLC (platoon leaders course) during the summer, which will get you started on your way towards a commission.
Since you say you want to be a reservist, you can do what I did. I enlisted, did bootcamp,mos school,and came back to my unit. I finished my degree did a deployment, and went to ocs, then came back to my unit with a commission.
Being enlisted will give you more time in, but by the time you finished all your training, and then got back to you reserve unit to start up school again you could have had school done and been off to OCS, you won't get a whole lot of expirence in that time.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NebWS6
how much school do you have left?

that would be the basis for my opinion. If you have a year left, finish up and then join OCS. If you have more than a year left you can go to the PLC (platoon leaders course) during the summer, which will get you started on your way towards a commission.
Since you say you want to be a reservist, you can do what I did. I enlisted, did bootcamp,mos school,and came back to my unit. I finished my degree did a deployment, and went to ocs, then came back to my unit with a commission.
Being enlisted will give you more time in, but by the time you finished all your training, and then got back to you reserve unit to start up school again you could have had school done and been off to OCS, you won't get a whole lot of expirence in that time.
I have 2.5 years left, Ill mention PLC to him. Can I do PLC than go back to school? I want to get school completed before I start doing major training.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

interesting, thanks for the useful information man. Yea that's why Im having a hard time deciding about becoming an officer because I dont know how long I want to be in the military. And yea, there is no way i will get enlisted before I get out, he said officer cadet school was a 6 week program which is over the summer, than I could go back to school
Id also never trust a recruiter as far as I could throw one....

Plenty of people that stay in and are enlisted and would never go officer. My father is about to hit 28 years in (enlisted), was asked if he wanted to go to OCS like 3 times and turned it down every time. Said if he had to do it all over again he would still have enlisted.... he also has his Masters....

Anything you hear from a recruiter ask about on here..... I have seen a lot of people get burned bad by them just because they trusted them.

One guy was told that he could not do a job because it was full and if he went in as a bomb loader after two years he could transfer and it was like an 8 year deal..... yeah he learned that lesson a hard way.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned

Never ever trust a Marine Corps recruiter!!!! Assume every word he says is a complete lie, that "Honor, Courage, Commitment" **** doesnt mean anything to these guys. They have goals to meet for each month for specific MOS fulfillments and numbers, just smile and nod when he is talking and then research everything he said later. Theres alot of people on here who know their **** so check with us if anything sounds fishy. Think of him as a used car salesman, a neccessary evil but still a bad thing. Use him and dont let him use you, good luck bro!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Never ever trust a Marine Corps recruiter!!!! Assume every word he says is a complete lie, that "Honor, Courage, Commitment" **** doesnt mean anything to these guys. They have goals to meet for each month for specific MOS fulfillments and numbers, just smile and nod when he is talking and then research everything he said later. Theres alot of people on here who know their **** so check with us if anything sounds fishy. Think of him as a used car salesman, a neccessary evil but still a bad thing. Use him and dont let him use you, good luck bro!
Go **** yourself. You have no idea what the **** your talking about.

MOS fulfillment? Afraid not. Check your ******* facts before you post bullshit on here.

If you just smile and nod, your not going to really learn if the Marines are for you.

Comparing marines to used car salesmen. Asshat.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

MOS fulfillment? Afraid not. Check your ******* facts before you post bullshit on here.

If you just smile and nod, your not going to really learn if the Marines are for you.

Not sure if you've been double D'd in a while so here goes. Take it easy Devil Dog! You know just as well as the rest of us Marines here that a lot of recruiters out there have done some janky **** to fill the ranks. Noone is calling you a liar or dishonest or anything. Just a general statement that fits pretty well. You guys have a tough job and it's certainly not one I would take voluntarily. Your avatar pic kicks *** by the way.

To the OP, finish your degree and go to OCS. Nothing wrong with being enlisted but unless you are just a glutton for punishment I think you would be happier with that decision. You let your NCO's do their job and show some humility and that will carry you a looong way with your Marines.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Id also never trust a recruiter as far as I could throw one....

Plenty of people that stay in and are enlisted and would never go officer. My father is about to hit 28 years in (enlisted), was asked if he wanted to go to OCS like 3 times and turned it down every time. Said if he had to do it all over again he would still have enlisted.... he also has his Masters....

Anything you hear from a recruiter ask about on here..... I have seen a lot of people get burned bad by them just because they trusted them.

One guy was told that he could not do a job because it was full and if he went in as a bomb loader after two years he could transfer and it was like an 8 year deal..... yeah he learned that lesson a hard way.
Yea, Im going to stick my ground with infantry for sure. No one's going to change my decision. Thanks for the heads up. Also, ill take in consideration about staying enlisted. Im going to do a lot more research
Originally Posted by capn smokey
You cant label a whole group like this, not all of them our out to fill spots and screw you over. That's like saying, in a car enthusiast sense haha, all imports are slow.

it's all good man, no need to lose your cool over this guy. We all no ALL Marines go through the same training. But obviously this guy must of had a bad experience.
Originally Posted by El_Diablo
Not sure if you've been double D'd in a while so here goes. Take it easy Devil Dog! You know just as well as the rest of us Marines here that a lot of recruiters out there have done some janky **** to fill the ranks. Noone is calling you a liar or dishonest or anything. Just a general statement that fits pretty well. You guys have a tough job and it's certainly not one I would take voluntarily. Your avatar pic kicks *** by the way.

To the OP, finish your degree and go to OCS. Nothing wrong with being enlisted but unless you are just a glutton for punishment I think you would be happier with that decision. You let your NCO's do their job and show some humility and that will carry you a looong way with your Marines.
so far, this is exactly what Ive been waiting to hear. I dont want to interrupt my time in school being that, I just want to get it out of the way and not have to worry about it later. Also with the 2.5 years I have, Im going to start training very hard, bulking up and fatting up.

Last edited by mycamaroSS; 12-12-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

well couldnt make it today because my bros front tire was flat. Gonna have to schedule another appointment with him. But it doesnt really bother me because I can do a little bit more research and be better prepared if he tries anything like mentioned by some of you guys.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

A friend of mine is in IRAQ right now.... Marine INF... Be ready to deploy alot.... Im sure they will tell you you will be home a lot... once he got out of boot a year or so ago he was never home (INF school and all) then went to IRAQ soon after.

If you don't plan to stay in remember that Infrantry does not to much for you on a civilian resume compared to other jobs. Do what you want, just pointing that out

I work with a guy thats Reserve INF and was a Harrier Crew Chief when he was active, he got this job because of the Harrier job, not the INF...

Just something to remember

If they do it the same as the AF and all once you take the ASVAB they get the points towards their quoata.... does not matter much if you end up going to boot or not to them.

Read your contract very well before you sign, once you sign thats it.

The friend I told you about went to Boot and was asked if he wanted to be one of the Presidents body guards (can't remember what thats called) and he turned it down.... granted I doubt he will stay in past his 8 year enlistment but if he knew he wanted to stay in that would have been a killer job to put on his MARINE resume... all well.

Like I said, anything he tell you post on here.

Like said above if you go officer rememebr that Good NCO's make good officers better and bad ones nobodies....
Seen to many officers go in thinking they know everything and treat the NCO's like dirt. There was one that did this to a CMSGT (E-9) and that butter bar ended up getting coffee and breakfest (sp) for the senior officers for a very very long time. Remember that if you go officer there will be NCO's working for you that will have more time in the millitary then years you have been ALIVE!!!! They might know a thing or two, the best officers I ever met ask for opinions from their NCO's often and ask for advice from time to time.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 12-12-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

So what should I expect. I have a lot of questions for him but what will be presented to me when I get there. I just hate going into something blind, you know. Looking forward to being part of the brotherhood after I get my degree!

Much Appreciated
This thread is full of bullshit.

Here is my opinion since you want to finish school. Enlist in the Marine Reserves and go to basic training over the summer. Then just drill with your reserve unit and get a small check and use marine tuition assistance (Im pretty sure they have it) to pay for your school. Once you graduate college apply for a conditional release from the reserves to apply for Officer Candidate School and go active.

You are already in college so there is no reason to take a break at all. Finish it up with no breaks and then go in as an officer with some enlisted time already under your belt.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
A friend of mine is in IRAQ right now.... Marine INF... Be ready to deploy alot.... Im sure they will tell you you will be home a lot... once he got out of boot a year or so ago he was never home (INF school and all) then went to IRAQ soon after.

If you don't plan to stay in remember that Infrantry does not to much for you on a civilian resume compared to other jobs. Do what you want, just pointing that out

I work with a guy thats Reserve INF and was a Harrier Crew Chief when he was active, he got this job because of the Harrier job, not the INF...

Just something to remember

If they do it the same as the AF and all once you take the ASVAB they get the points towards their quoata.... does not matter much if you end up going to boot or not to them.

Read your contract very well before you sign, once you sign thats it.

The friend I told you about went to Boot and was asked if he wanted to be one of the Presidents body guards (can't remember what thats called) and he turned it down.... granted I doubt he will stay in past his 8 year enlistment but if he knew he wanted to stay in that would have been a killer job to put on his MARINE resume... all well.

Like I said, anything he tell you post on here.

Like said above if you go officer rememebr that Good NCO's make good officers better and bad ones nobodies....
Seen to many officers go in thinking they know everything and treat the NCO's like dirt. There was one that did this to a CMSGT (E-9) and that butter bar ended up getting coffee and breakfest (sp) for the senior officers for a very very long time. Remember that if you go officer there will be NCO's working for you that will have more time in the millitary then years you have been ALIVE!!!! They might know a thing or two, the best officers I ever met ask for opinions from their NCO's often and ask for advice from time to time.

Good luck to you.

Please dont tell this kid **** if you dont know what your talking about. The air force is nothing like the Marines...in any way shape or form. Marine infantry does almost as much as any job as far as leadership and management goes.

Like I said, if you have any questions feel free to ask me here or pm me. If you are not in the Marines then you pretty much have no idea what you are talking about, be it lifestyle wise or program wise.

There are only 2 types of people that know how Marines operate. Marines and people who fought against Marines.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned

Comparing marine recruiters to used car salesmen.
You need to chill the **** out bro, I dont give a **** who you are or what the **** you do. I never said what he was definitely lying or bs'ing you, but if you are smart and dont like getting fucked over then dont believe anything he says at first. Do you think its smart to take a recruiters word on everything? You are either a dumbass or just naive if you do, they are just like used car salesman. Not all neccessarily bad but most are, I used to sell used cars and i was recruited by a recruiter so I qualify to make that comparison. They all have an agenda and its their job to get you in and most choose to take the shady route on alot of issues. Dont ever take anyones word for anything when they are trying to sell you into something, that is a general rule of life that you obviously never learned. Oh and i fixed your post for ya
Old 12-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Banned

Please dont tell this kid **** if you dont know what your talking about. The air force is nothing like the Marines...in any way shape or form. Marine infantry does almost as much as any job as far as leadership and management goes.

Like I said, if you have any questions feel free to ask me here or pm me. If you are not in the Marines then you pretty much have no idea what you are talking about, be it lifestyle wise or program wise.

There are only 2 types of people that know how Marines operate. Marines and people who fought against Marines.
Just curious, who are you and where do you gather all this vast knowledge from?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Meeting With A Recruiter Tomorrow For The Marines