Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Air Force TACP FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I hate to pull this up from so far down but as a Former Marine looking at going into TACP, I found this more useful than the recruiter! Hahaha. I'm also quite motivated to get this job or CCT. And as an Cannoneer, I'm sure this will fill quite well with me! Thanks to the OP for this Thread.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Well I hate to pull this up from so far down but as a Former Marine looking at going into TACP, I found this more useful than the recruiter! Hahaha. I'm also quite motivated to get this job or CCT. And as an Cannoneer, I'm sure this will fill quite well with me! Thanks to the OP for this Thread.
Swiat, Are you looking for ANG or Active? If you are looking for more info PM me. I'd get on romad.com if you aren't on it already and dig around in there if you want more info.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking to return to active duty. I just wish the recruiter would hurry since there's only a couple positions open...I might get forced to CCT.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Good luck man. The slots are tough to get right now. The slots at the schoolhouse have gone up in numbers but from what I've seen, they aren't that much easier to get.

Jperran, if you still look at this, have you seen any info on the TACP Prep course at Lackland? I'll see what I can find and add that to your thread.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

It'll be easy for me to get BUT the hold up is that there aren't many openings for prior service that are crossing decks like me. What are my chances of keeping my E-5 rank? Reading about the training, I've done that all already. Land nav, weapons, patrolling, survival, radio use and care. About the only thing I'll 'NEED' is the call for fire classes and jump school. Recruiter said most likely I'll have to accept E-4 but I think I rate to keep my E-5.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

It'll be easy for me to get BUT the hold up is that there aren't many openings for prior service that are crossing decks like me. What are my chances of keeping my E-5 rank? Reading about the training, I've done that all already. Land nav, weapons, patrolling, survival, radio use and care. About the only thing I'll 'NEED' is the call for fire classes and jump school. Recruiter said most likely I'll have to accept E-4 but I think I rate to keep my E-5.
If you were active duty and have the time and some sort of NCO development type of course, in my mind I think you would be good. But I'm no expert on that subject. Your recruiter should be the dude with the answers on that.

As for your experience. Experience is good but my advice is to make sure you keep an open mind. The school house may teach things differently than you know and be looking for certain critical areas that other schools and courses may not focus on as much. Particularly, radios may be different. I don't know which radios you used or what MOS you had but it all sounds like 11B/Infantry type of stuff. The radios may be different and the waveforms probably will be unless you were in an ANGLICO. Just keep an open mind and you will be fine academically. Good luck with jump school. It's a competition so put out and if your class has slots available, you may be one of the dudes. Good luck and hope to see ya out there...if you've got questions, keep them coming.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was a Marine Cannoneer (0811). I'm SURE the AF will have better radios than the old piece of **** PRC119s we had! Haha I'm always open to learn more about anything and everything, so I did a lot of work with the ROs we had with us to learn crypto etc. As far as the land nav an land warfare stuff, I spent time as an infantryman in Iraq and also organized and conducted infantry training to my Battery (company-sized element) while in Okinawa. But I agree with you that there will be differences and I'm open minded to adjusting. He said there won't be a bonus so I kinda want to work a deal to keep rank then. I'll go as E-4 if I NEED to but...I worked hard to get E-5 in 4 years and I think I earned it! Haha That's not easy in the Corps. Know what I mean?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

I was a Marine Cannoneer (0811). I'm SURE the AF will have better radios than the old piece of **** PRC119s we had! Haha I'm always open to learn more about anything and everything, so I did a lot of work with the ROs we had with us to learn crypto etc. As far as the land nav an land warfare stuff, I spent time as an infantryman in Iraq and also organized and conducted infantry training to my Battery (company-sized element) while in Okinawa. But I agree with you that there will be differences and I'm open minded to adjusting. He said there won't be a bonus so I kinda want to work a deal to keep rank then. I'll go as E-4 if I NEED to but...I worked hard to get E-5 in 4 years and I think I earned it! Haha That's not easy in the Corps. Know what I mean?
I understand every bit of that. All of our PRC-119s are gone. That's not to say that there may not be a few floating around in the community but few and far between.

Good luck man. If you have any more questions, pony them up.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

My wife has a question about where I can be stationed. O know I'll be with an Army infantry battalion, but could I be with an Armored battalion?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

My wife has a question about where I can be stationed. O know I'll be with an Army infantry battalion, but could I be with an Armored battalion?
Armored, Light, Mech, Stryker, Airborne, Air Assault...any of the units that are maneuver units. The list is far too long to remember but if you do some digging around on the internet, I'm sure there's a list around there somewhere.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:24 PM

"In-Shape" in our world is 300+ on the Army PT test. We still take this test from time to time before going to schools like Airborne, so it's still used as a dick-measuring stick. The following are the standards you should strive for,

RUN: 2 miles, 8 laps around a 440-yard track in under 13 minutes.
PUSH-UPS: Must complete at least 71 repetitions given a TWO-minute time limit.
CRUNCHES: Must complete at least 78 repetitions given a TWO-minute time limit.
PULL-UPS: Must complete at least 10 repetitions but strive for 15+.

Pullups are not part of any official PT test, but you have to be able to do 8 to graduate Tech School, and no unit is going to send you to Airborne school until you can do 10 or more at least.

Hi there. Thanks for the post. However, the pt standards you listed are very outdated. Here are the correct requirements to even be considered.
All candidates must meet the following minimum standards:
RUN: 1.5 miles, 6 laps around a 440-yard track in under 10 minutes and 47 seconds.
PUSH-UPS: Must complete at least 40 repetitions given a one-minute time limit.
CRUNCHES: Must complete at least 48 repetitions given a one-minute time limit.
PULL-UPS: Must complete at least 6 repetitions.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Hunter
"In-Shape" in our world is 300+ on the Army PT test. We still take this test from time to time before going to schools like Airborne, so it's still used as a dick-measuring stick. The following are the standards you should strive for,

RUN: 2 miles, 8 laps around a 440-yard track in under 13 minutes.
PUSH-UPS: Must complete at least 71 repetitions given a TWO-minute time limit.
CRUNCHES: Must complete at least 78 repetitions given a TWO-minute time limit.
PULL-UPS: Must complete at least 10 repetitions but strive for 15+.

Pullups are not part of any official PT test, but you have to be able to do 8 to graduate Tech School, and no unit is going to send you to Airborne school until you can do 10 or more at least.

Hi there. Thanks for the post. However, the pt standards you listed are very outdated. Here are the correct requirements to even be considered.
All candidates must meet the following minimum standards:
RUN: 1.5 miles, 6 laps around a 440-yard track in under 10 minutes and 47 seconds.
PUSH-UPS: Must complete at least 40 repetitions given a one-minute time limit.
CRUNCHES: Must complete at least 48 repetitions given a one-minute time limit.
PULL-UPS: Must complete at least 6 repetitions.
Well this post is from ******* 2009 when you were probably still sucking on your mom's tit, so stop digging up old threads.

Quick Reply: Air Force TACP FAQ