LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Military Hotrod Club (https://ls1tech.com/forums/military-hotrod-club-109/)
-   -   AF new PT testing, who else has a squadron full of fatties? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/military-hotrod-club/1321972-af-new-pt-testing-who-else-has-squadron-full-fatties.html)

smaruska 08-24-2010 11:47 AM

AF new PT testing, who else has a squadron full of fatties?

I just took the new PFT for the first time today. I cannot BELIEVE how many fat pieces of crap there are in my squadron. IMO, the new test makes it EASIER to pass and even if you don't agree, 33 pushups, 42 situps, 39" waist and a 13:36 run is NOT a hard thing to accomplish with even light PT. Those are the bare minimums and will net you a 75.9 score. You need 75 to pass... (this is the male under 30 test).

Anyway our squadron commander is about to jump out a window because of all the failures, we had 3 or 4 this morning out of 20 of us and my shop has had 2 in the last week. Our brother squadron over on the KC-10 (I'm maintenance) side has already implemented mandatory 5 day a week PT for PT failures on their own time AND the supervisor has to show up too and it looks like our squadron is going the same way. I already told my troop if he fails I'm going to make his life a living hell until he passes and I'm not even joking.

Anyone else seeing the same sort of trend with the AF? I know our PT is still a joke and under the old system there were WAY too many people getting their scores fudged but this is getting ridiculous.

I passed with a stunning 83.6 btw. I know I'm not in the best shape either but some of these ppl... wow...

2002TAWS6Pontiac 08-24-2010 11:55 AM

Yeah its pretty bad. The thing that making the failures is the Min. req. Some guy scored a 88 but didn't get 42 sit ups. So he failed. I am shooting for a 90+ so i only have to test once a year.

smaruska 08-24-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2002TAWS6Pontiac (Post 13773967)
Yeah its pretty bad. The thing that making the failures is the Min. req. Some guy scored a 88 but didn't get 42 sit ups. So he failed. I am shooting for a 90+ so i only have to test once a year.

That happened to a guy today too, he got 39 sit ups. Oh well, that's what you get for not going to the gym I guess. I like the minimum requirements personally. I don't mind testing twice a year, at least it is fair for those of us who will never be at that 32" waist mark. I don't think my hip bones would measure 32" just by themselves lol.

Shamson5.7 08-24-2010 01:31 PM

Im not in yet but I am boggled by how out of shape a lot of the DEPrs at me recruiting station are. We did a PT test last month and 10 out of about 30 passed. It really isnt that hard with light/moderate training.

TXZ28LS1 08-24-2010 02:27 PM

I think the AF PT test is a dumb idea.. so i do all the minimums and i still fail..LMAO..Thats a joke.. why even have minimums in the first place.

I also hear now they are being pretty picky with how you do your push ups/sit ups...

smaruska 08-24-2010 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1 (Post 13774669)
I think the AF PT test is a dumb idea.. so i do all the minimums and i still fail..LMAO..Thats a joke.. why even have minimums in the first place.

I also hear now they are being pretty picky with how you do your push ups/sit ups...

Why is it a dumb idea? I'd like to hear why having a force that is at least in moderately good shape is bad. What was bad was the ergo test years ago when any fatbody could pass the thing with the right breathing pattern. BTW if you do all the minimums you get a passing score of 75.9 so you obviously are missing something. They have minimums now because there were way too many skinny guys passing on merit of being just naturally skinny with no real strength. Like my old roomate always got 80s never going to PT ever because he was a 28" waist, did like 30 pushups, 30 situps and a moderately good run. That is NOT in shape.

As for how picky they are, you hear they are being picky now? So you actually haven't taken it then and are just trolling. They are not picky so much as they make sure you aren't doing idiot pushups or situps. You don't have to come down all the way to 90 degrees for pushups but they want you to be close. Situps are the same, not Nazis about them but you can't be slamming your hips up and down for momentum either.... I know some guys really hate the AF and wish they'd never joined and maybe you are one of those ppl, maybe not. News Flash: Its the same in the outside world as far as bosses, stupid menial jobs, getting called in on your days off etc... Not to mention after 3 fails you get kicked out with a general discharge which will follow you for the rest of your life. Not really that much to "LMFAO" about there...

sparky1397r 08-24-2010 08:12 PM

No PT worries at my flight.

hawk584 08-24-2010 08:13 PM

much like opening facebook to find reasons to kick people out, it's a tool to down size our forces. those who are over sized are the ones who hold all the knowledge and when those members get booted out their bitterness will prevent them from passing on that knowledge and setting the system up for failure...... so, you must sacrifice your entire privet life and dedicate your "off time" to PT

sparky1397r 08-24-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by hawk584 (Post 13776197)
much like opening facebook to find reasons to kick people out, it's a tool to down size your forces. those who are over sized are the ones who hold all the knowledge and when those members get booted out their bitterness will prevent them from passing on that knowledge and setting the system up for failure...... so, you must sacrifice your entire privet life and dedicate your "off time" to PT

In my experience the fatties are lazy worthless know nothings and are more injury prone.

If a little PT is ruining your "private" life you should probably get a job at the DMV, not the armed forces.

TXZ28LS1 08-24-2010 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by smaruska (Post 13776027)
Why is it a dumb idea? I'd like to hear why having a force that is at least in moderately good shape is bad. What was bad was the ergo test years ago when any fatbody could pass the thing with the right breathing pattern. BTW if you do all the minimums you get a passing score of 75.9 so you obviously are missing something. They have minimums now because there were way too many skinny guys passing on merit of being just naturally skinny with no real strength. Like my old roomate always got 80s never going to PT ever because he was a 28" waist, did like 30 pushups, 30 situps and a moderately good run. That is NOT in shape.

As for how picky they are, you hear they are being picky now? So you actually haven't taken it then and are just trolling. They are not picky so much as they make sure you aren't doing idiot pushups or situps. You don't have to come down all the way to 90 degrees for pushups but they want you to be close. Situps are the same, not Nazis about them but you can't be slamming your hips up and down for momentum either.... I know some guys really hate the AF and wish they'd never joined and maybe you are one of those ppl, maybe not. News Flash: Its the same in the outside world as far as bosses, stupid menial jobs, getting called in on your days off etc... Not to mention after 3 fails you get kicked out with a general discharge which will follow you for the rest of your life. Not really that much to "LMFAO" about there...

Sorry bro, but your wrong!!! You get kicked out after failing 2 times not 3 (unless your base gives you 3 chances.) Our base has already told us that. Which is why we did a squadron wide pre PT test so everybody knows waaaay in advance. And our squadron made everybody do another actual PT before the new regs came into effect to help its people.

Please go and look up the under 30 MALE.. count all the minimums and NOT YOUR OWN SCORE!!..According to the fitness chart this is the minimum points for each category :

42.30 minimum pts for run
12.60 minimum pts for waist
5.00 minimum pts push up
6.00 minimum pts for sit up

that does not equal 75.9..LMAO...THAT equals 65.9!! LOL. not sure where you came up with that. im just going off the minimum like i said earlier..YOU STILL FAIL!!! of course you have to do better than the minimum. So what is the purpose of having minumum if you fail? minimum score to pass CDC is 65%...so if i do all the minimums on a PT test how do i still fail? I am not bitching, or trolling..:eyes: i stay in shape.. i have no worries.

I hope your not a brand new airman thats only been in 10 seconds and think you know everything. since you do, explain what is the concept of the waist? what does that have to do with anything? ive seen guys with bigger waist smoke the smaller waist guys on the run all day long. so a big waist doesnt mean anything, just like doing these "MINIMUMS" where you still fail are pointless :eyes: also Air Force isnt considering those at higher altitudes also. So yeah the PT test still makes no sense.

smaruska 08-25-2010 10:09 AM

Well regardless of my ability to add, the test still makes sense and no, the big waist guys do not always "smoke" the small waist guys in the run, this has absolutely 0 to do with waist size and everything to do with how much you actually do cardio. I can see an argument for being up at higher altitude and I'm sure that's been brought up and hopefully will be addressed in the future.

The waist size is there for 1- trying to get ppl to have better nutrition, and 2-military image. Why do you think the minimum is 39"? That is pretty damn round and it is NOT that hard to get yourself down a 35/36" especially when they measure at the top of your hip bones. I don't know where you or anyone else works, but in my experience, if you can't get a pass on this new test, you don't work out at all.

PT is part of being in the military, if you don't want to stay in shape or go to the gym on your own time you should choose another career. If you can find one in this economy anyway. Not to mention the people who are actually in good shape or good enough shape to pass maybe will get some recognition when all the fatties are failing out. And it is 3 times at our base at least before you get thrown out.

I'm sure it is different everywhere but in my personal experience, the guys who fail are the ones who are pretty much worthless.

TXZ28LS1 08-25-2010 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by smaruska (Post 13778434)
Well regardless of my ability to add, the test still makes sense and no, the big waist guys do not always "smoke" the small waist guys in the run, this has absolutely 0 to do with waist size and everything to do with how much you actually do cardio. I can see an argument for being up at higher altitude and I'm sure that's been brought up and hopefully will be addressed in the future.

The waist size is there for 1- trying to get ppl to have better nutrition, and 2-military image. Why do you think the minimum is 39"? That is pretty damn round and it is NOT that hard to get yourself down a 35/36" especially when they measure at the top of your hip bones. I don't know where you or anyone else works, but in my experience, if you can't get a pass on this new test, you don't work out at all.

PT is part of being in the military, if you don't want to stay in shape or go to the gym on your own time you should choose another career. If you can find one in this economy anyway. Not to mention the people who are actually in good shape or good enough shape to pass maybe will get some recognition when all the fatties are failing out. And it is 3 times at our base at least before you get thrown out.

I'm sure it is different everywhere but in my personal experience, the guys who fail are the ones who are pretty much worthless.

Bro your stating the obvious man.

we can go on back and fourth on this.. the bottom line is you need more than the minimums to pass. which is my point ive been saying, why make minimums if you still fail? And YES guys with the bigger waist usually do better on the runs compared to the 32 inch waist guys because " WITH THE OLD TEST" you 32 inch waist guys would already pass, while the bigger waist guys are haulin ass on the 1.5 run to make up that.

greasemonkeysoldier 08-25-2010 11:28 AM

hmmm....in my opinion NOONE should fail your guys' PT test.....I thought the Army's standards were pretty laxed....but damn! lol

At 25 i have to do a minimum of:

40 push-ups in 2 minutes
50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
and run a 16:36 or better in the 2-mile run...

height/weight standards....that's a whole other ballgame there....I'm 5'8" and have to weigh 174 lbs. for my age group. which isn't too bad, but still...if you're under 24 at my height they expect to to weigh 165 or something like that....but the bodyfat % test is a joke. they measure your neck and waist (around the bellybutton) and do the calculations from that. so it you have a big neck you can be as fat as you want to be. the system is kind of broke.

Now i'm not in the AF so i don't know what it's like, but i do know it's a lot more laid back than the Army. IMO, the AF has done it to itself by having such weak standards.
the OP stated that the PT failures had to do PT 5 days a week on their own time? are you kidding? in the Army we do PT as a Company every morning 5 days a week. and the PT failures. they do PT in the afternoon as well, together, with a NCO incharge to make sure they show up and work out....something to think about.

smaruska 08-25-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by greasemonkeysoldier (Post 13778756)
hmmm....in my opinion NOONE should fail your guys' PT test.....I thought the Army's standards were pretty laxed....but damn! lol

At 25 i have to do a minimum of:

40 push-ups in 2 minutes
50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
and run a 16:36 or better in the 2-mile run...

height/weight standards....that's a whole other ballgame there....I'm 5'8" and have to weigh 174 lbs. for my age group. which isn't too bad, but still...if you're under 24 at my height they expect to to weigh 165 or something like that....but the bodyfat % test is a joke. they measure your neck and waist (around the bellybutton) and do the calculations from that. so it you have a big neck you can be as fat as you want to be. the system is kind of broke.

Now i'm not in the AF so i don't know what it's like, but i do know it's a lot more laid back than the Army. IMO, the AF has done it to itself by having such weak standards.
the OP stated that the PT failures had to do PT 5 days a week on their own time? are you kidding? in the Army we do PT as a Company every morning 5 days a week. and the PT failures. they do PT in the afternoon as well, together, with a NCO incharge to make sure they show up and work out....something to think about.

We used to have a neck measurement but yeah, fatasses with huge fat necks could just pass that test no problem. There is no longer a weight requirement, just waist measurement. AF PT for us anyway is twice a week for an hour and a half before work, once a week for guys with scores of 90 or above.

As for the minimums, the only reason I can see besides the ones I already stated are so guys with really skinny waists and fast run times can't suck on the sit ups/push ups or vice versa. Basically it makes it so you can fail overall or for sucking in one area which is a good thing IMO.

Mightymike2000ss 08-25-2010 04:46 PM

Wtf america

StoleIt 08-26-2010 11:03 AM

I thought you could NOT get minimums on all the sections and still pass.

I am pretty out of shape after a year of UPT and still got like an 85 (which is SAD IMO). Yea, there is no doubt this test is really easy.

And it's pretty UFB that our leadership doesn't trust us enough to administer the tests anymore. Fly/maintain/support a multi million dollar aircraft in war and employ ordnance to kill people? Sure. But count 62 push ups? Fuck no. Sad.

Edit: And except for the run, the Army's PT test is easier than the AF's IMO. You guys have to like 7 more push ups and 8 more sit ups in an additional minute. How easy is that?

I think the Marines have the only PFT I would have trouble with, I suck nuts at pull ups.

Shamson5.7 08-26-2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by StoleIt (Post 13783326)

I think the Marines have the only PFT I would have trouble with, I suck nuts at pull ups.

I actually wish the AF would require SOME pullups. Im afraid of getting mooshy by the time I get outta boot :x

sparky1397r 08-26-2010 07:50 PM

you need someone to force you to do pullups?

allbaugh_04 08-27-2010 09:28 PM

In one squadron, I remember being able to name one overweight person and my friend struggling to keep up by naming an in-shape person.

I don't see why you need to be in shape to sit on your ass all day.

Compstall 09-10-2010 01:04 AM

I can understand that a lame pushup shouldn't count, but as long as it's close I'd throw a guy a bone. If I was ordered to choke you, what does it matter if my arm is wrapped around your neck or my fist is down your throat - I'm STILL gettin' it done.

The other issue I have is that there are a LOT of great people/workers out there that will get their EPR's thrown in the gutter because they came up 10 seconds short on their run or whatever. Isn't this why we have the TEAM concept? i.e., one person's weakness is complimented by another's strength (whatever that may be), and vice-versa?