Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Post 911 G.I. Bill. Who knows exactly how it works.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Post 911 G.I. Bill. Who knows exactly how it works.

I am national guard.......... When I get back from this deployment I will be going to college. I understand that in order to recieve the full post 911 GI bill I need to take at least one of the classes on campus and the rest I can take online.

That is about all I know. I have heard so many different stories and stuff. Can someone help me out. Put in simple terms. None of this reading between the lines stuff. Im military and im not good at that LOL.

Thanks

Trey A.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whichever school you'll be taking that one class at should have a full-time VA rep. They will be able to help you out. apply asap cuz it takes a few weeks to get in the system
Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont expect the payments to come exactly after a month of class. That money takes so long to come I dont consider it a reliable source of income. This part pisses me off more than anything when having to deal with the post 9/11 GI Bill and the VA...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well thats about par for the course. Were you takin classes all on campus or all on line or what?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the training we recieved yesterday, by Aug 2011 you should be able to take all online courses and still get BAH.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by samuel642000
According to the training we recieved yesterday, by Aug 2011 you should be able to take all online courses and still get BAH.
until you have to defend your degree and prove that an online degree is as good as a degree from a brick n motor school.

unless he splits it up, which he mentioned.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samuel642000
You will only get 50% of the BAH when it starts.

I have been doing the chapter 33 for about 6 months now.

I am going to Park University and take 1 class online and the other in class. This meets the requirement for full time.

If you do not break consecutive semesters, you will get back pay when you are not in class. The money does come but it is very slow and if you count on it, you are gonna screw yourself or be in a bind.

You do not see a bill for school like the older GI Bill was.

OH! And you get $1,000 in book money split up over the year!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

IDK why Junky is only getting 50% bah???

The only time they didnt give me the full amount they made sure to back pay that on my next month..

Like mentioned before the VA is slow to pay, not just you, but the school too, sometimes I get bills showing they havent paid.. but most schools know the issues, and dont worry about it, they always end up getting paid. Book money, and any grants you might qual for would also help!!! Make the most of what is there for you.

I did hear that they plan to change the BAH, and just have one flat rate, not on par with the active duty rates for whatever area. I am not sure of this, just something I heard.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02_ramair_ta
IDK why Junky is only getting 50% bah???

The only time they didnt give me the full amount they made sure to back pay that on my next month..

Like mentioned before the VA is slow to pay, not just you, but the school too, sometimes I get bills showing they havent paid.. but most schools know the issues, and dont worry about it, they always end up getting paid. Book money, and any grants you might qual for would also help!!! Make the most of what is there for you.

I did hear that they plan to change the BAH, and just have one flat rate, not on par with the active duty rates for whatever area. I am not sure of this, just something I heard.
OK hold on.

They have changed the rules about going to class online full time. Currently, if you go class all online, you will get no BAH for chapter 33/Post 911.

In October, you will be able to go to class online full time and will get 50% BAH instead of nothing.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about transfering this to your spouse? I have heard that you had to serve at least 10 years on active duty to do this.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sheikss
What about transfering this to your spouse? I have heard that you had to serve at least 10 years on active duty to do this.
I would call the VA on that one.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so you have to take 12 hours to be full time and you will only get full BAH if you are full time right?

BAH is paid as E5 with dependents correct? Plus you get 1000 for books spread out over the semester correct?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Ok so you have to take 12 hours to be full time and you will only get full BAH if you are full time right?

BAH is paid as E5 with dependents correct? Plus you get 1000 for books spread out over the semester correct?
I believe you're correct on the first question, but not 100%.

As for the others, yes, you get E5 w/ dependents BAH for your school's zip code. You receive your book stipend at the beginning of each semester and it's $500/semester.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

still gotta have 36 mos active duty time correct? I've been in for a year now, AFReserve, Sec. Forces Combat Arms, and after next month will have a total of just over 9 months active duty, think that gives me like 50% paid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post 911 G.I. Bill. Who knows exactly how it works.