Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Veteran's Business grants?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Veteran's Business grants?

I remember hearing about Veteran's grants in TAP class aimed to start a business.

I am still kicking around the idea of opening a DIY/Hobby Shop/Skill Center/Garage deal. I can get a break on the building, but it's all the fees around here that will kill me.

Anyone have any experience with these grants? How do they work and what is the repayment agreement, if any?

Last edited by bayer-z28; 05-06-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Teching In

Hey man I dont have any experience with the grants myself but I was looking at doing the same thing. I have a lot of ideas and concerns myself about doing this. What size place and equipment do you have or gonna get. Also I would like to know is their a web-site with this info or something. Was wondering are you gonna do this in CT?
GL MAN
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 AM
roy
TECH Resident

You may find what you are looking for here
http://www.vetbiz.gov/
Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mygoat1
Hey man I dont have any experience with the grants myself but I was looking at doing the same thing. I have a lot of ideas and concerns myself about doing this. What size place and equipment do you have or gonna get. Also I would like to know is their a web-site with this info or something. Was wondering are you gonna do this in CT?
GL MAN
I think if I do it in CT the overhead will sink me. Property taxes along would end up being five digits a year. Not to mention electricity here is raoe expensive at $300/mo just for a small house. There's no real site for this stuff it seems to all be "custom" applications (As much as I don't like that word.) I can get a deal on a pre-engineered metal building spec'd the way I need it.

I got a buddy that is originally from TX, and I've thought of possibly putting it there too. No idea on the size. I'm thinking of a rough guesstimate of 200'x80' or 16,000 sq ft on an acre or so. Figure 18" thick foundation @ 3600psi crete, 12 bays, 5 lifts, 6 or 7 dry bays, ASE tech working there, one or two people at the desk, rental tools, basic tools for the bays, parts washer, welding and metal work station... So basically like one of the Hobby centers.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 05-08-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Great idea man. Run with it!

I cannot count how many civillians have said they wished they had something like our "DIY car centers" with a mechanic around to give advice!

One thing you may want to look into though, is Insurance. I can see that being an issue if some yuppie got hurt in your garage.

I myself have a different plan for after I retire. It involves something every service member needs combined with something every service member wants!

Scott

Last edited by HowdyZ_28; 05-20-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Veteran's Business grants?