Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking about joining the Military

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about joining the Military

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if not feel free to move it. To start off with I think everyone of you for your service to the country

I have been thinking a lot lately about joining. A buddy and i almost joined the national guard in high school but we both backed out as we were going to walk on some were and play football.
So here i am at 22 ill be 23 in august. I am currently in college and will graduate this summer with a Criminal Justice Associate of Applied Science Degree. I was wanting to do something in law enforcement but most police stations want someone with experience or that has already been through the police academy.
If i was to join the military i was thinking about being a MP or doing something with computers that way when i get out i could have multiple things i could do as a civilian if you catch my drift. If i join I would make a career out of it put in 20 and retire, as i would be 43 when i can retire.
As for what branch to go with i have no idea. I have heard good and bad about all and have been doing a lot of searching and reading on the internet. Most are saying AF and the NAVY, I have 2 buddies that just joined the Army and leave next month for boot camp, and a couple friends in the Marines and they say they hate it. So im on the fence about what branch to go with. Im going Tuesday to talk to recruiters and see what they have to say.
I took the ASVAB in high school but that was 4 years ago and i do not remember what i scored on it, so im pretty sure ill have to retake it. Right?
I really made this post to see what everyone has to say and get some information and what would you do and how would you go about it. Thanks for all the help im sure ill think of a lot more questions later on.

p.s. I know this is yall's forum to talk about cars but i feel like with all the service men and women we have on here i could get some good information, as someone might have been in the same kid of situation at some point and time. If not feel free to delete it

Last edited by atrain59; 03-20-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

It all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to travel or start a family?

Here's my background...I've been in the AF going on 10 yrs on 27 Mar. Been stationed at Minot AFB, ND since Dec 01. I could possibly spend the rest of my career here too.

Oh yea, some recruiters will say anything to get you in.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sleepy_z
It all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to travel or start a family?

Here's my background...I've been in the AF going on 10 yrs on 27 Mar. Been stationed at Minot AFB, ND since Dec 01. I could possibly spend the rest of my career here too.

Oh yea, some recruiters will say anything to get you in.
I would love to travel and experience new things. I have a gf of 3 years and i have talked to her a couple times about it and she is for it as her brother is a Navy Cormeen and has been in for 5+ years.

Yea I have read that recruiters will say anything to get you to sign and if they tell you something make sure its written down and signed.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Talk to both recruiters and see what they can do for you. They can't guarantee you a specific job. It depends on your ASVAB scores and the job is decided when you got to MEPS. At MEPS they check you over to see if anything would disqualify you from jobs or even getting in.

How would you feel being on a ship for months at a time? I hear they get to port from time to time and some places are great.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am leaning towards the army but like I said I'm going to talk to all the recruiters and see what they can offer.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

HaHa!! I love the stigma recruiters have. "used car salesman", etc. I am a Marine and my current assignment is recruiting duty. I have met several recruiters that sound like used car salesmen salesmen, especially career recruiters. But then again, it is a sales job. Just go talk to all of the branches and see who's values line up with yours. All branches have pretty much the same technical jobs,same pay, same benefits. It just depends on what you are looking to gain as well as what you can contribute to a certain branch. Find out all of the opportunities you have to take advantage of and then decide which one is for you. Dont count on promises unless in writing!!

Semper Fi!!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Default Go Air Force

Same as above.. Ive been Air Force Security Forces (cop) for 10 years now and stationed and traveled literally ALL over the world. The opportunities are endless and the pay, while not amazing, is pretty damn competitive. If you have any questions about being a cop in the AF and want some honest answers, PM me. Ive done everything from Law Enforcement to Nuc Security to Presidential Protection so feel free to ask and good luck!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
If you have a degree or any credits at all, see if you can get some rank going in. If you have a BA, you can go in as an officer. Remember, big bonuses mean shitty MOS.
Great info guys!

Some big bonus jobs are there because people make a lot more as a civilian doing the same thing. So they peace out after getting the experience.

Cwillits505 do you like being a cop? Have you been stationed at a missile base?

Last edited by sleepy_z; 03-20-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

big bonuses are more an indication of a shitty position rather than its pay as a civilian counterpart..
I know Marines that got 60k+ bonuses for reenlisting in intel, recon and air traffic control. Those jobs must really suck.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 AM
Launching!

Go in as an officer candidate. I forget what MOS it is but you go to basic as a SPC get out and go to OCS. Might as well go officer since you already have the degree. I'm an MP and I think it blows. The field side is pretty cool but working the road sucks. You might as well be a mall cop. I'm working on getting enough college out of the way so I can try my hand at the active duty green to gold option. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

I was 8 yrs active duty Army, If the recruiters "offer" you something, it means that that job is in short supply because few people want it because it sucks. There are others that require higher test scores that you will also get bonuses for but along with those come a higher security clearance and a longer enlistment in general. Be careful OP... Recruiters are the "used car salemen" of the military. If you have a degree or any credits at all, see if you can get some rank going in. If you have a BA, you can go in as an officer. Remember, big bonuses mean shitty MOS.
That last line is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. So EOD, Special Forces, TACP, JTAC, CCT, and PJ's are shitty mos's?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

big bonuses are more an indication of a shitty position rather than its pay as a civilian counterpart.. if you want to do something that will get you paid when you get out.. is a PLL Clerk.. its the Logistics side of the military. They pay really well right out the gate when you get out. However, you will get a lot of **** for being a clerk. Let's face it.. theyre not the ones kicking down the doors like the rest of us. I was a 63B which, simply put was a Hummer Mechanic.. Light wheel as far as the Army was concerned. Dont think that the job you choose is the job you will do.. First and foremost, you are an 11B which is Infantry. 95% of all your training is to do THAT job... the other is your specialty Military Occupational SPECIALTY... You know we just pulled a "shock and awe" on Lybia right.. lol
Again, bad info. Everyone trains on the basic fighting tactics (there's a reason it's called BASIC COMBAT TRAINING) then almost never do it again. The only people that are 11B are 11B. The only people that are 18B, are 18B, and so on. You sound like you've been in the Army an entire 4 days, and 2 of them were on a weekend.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy_z
Talk to both recruiters and see what they can do for you. They can't guarantee you a specific job. It depends on your ASVAB scores and the job is decided when you got to MEPS. At MEPS they check you over to see if anything would disqualify you from jobs or even getting in.

How would you feel being on a ship for months at a time? I hear they get to port from time to time and some places are great.
Hmmm....I'm in the USMC as an MP and i made sure my recruiter had my slot open and laid out infront of me before i signed anything...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it.
Z28MP: What do you mean by" active duty green to gold option"

What are some of the questions I should ask the recruiters?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by USMC5811
Hmmm....I'm in the USMC as an MP and i made sure my recruiter had my slot open and laid out infront of me before i signed anything...
Maybe it's different between the branches...I remember picking my job at MEPS. The recruiter said whatever he needed to get me there.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by atrain59
Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it.
Z28MP: What do you mean by" active duty green to gold option"

What are some of the questions I should ask the recruiters?
You have to be in the military to get it. It's pretty much you quit the army and become a full time college student while keeping all ur pay and benefits. To put it in simple terms. It's on the green to gold website. 110 gt min. 60 credit hours completed. There's actually a whole bunch of crap you gotta do for your packet.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jarheadtex
I know Marines that got 60k+ bonuses for reenlisting in intel, recon and air traffic control. Those jobs must really suck.
those jobs do suck, intel is garbage, atc mandatory retirement at 55, recon well it just sucks.

if you wanna be rambo or some black ops guy (YOU DON'T WANT TO STAY WITH YOUR GIRL FRIEND) cause these guys are in high demand and dont stay stateside very long. thats if you even make the cut

army=1yr deployments
usmc=1yr deployments

and we ain't never leaving these places

if you want to see the world and don't mind some one younger then you ripping your *** when you mess up you won't mind the military. its going to happen you coming in a lil late.

been in 12+ and love it, but it has alot of cons no one talks about
Old 03-22-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jarheadtex
I remember back in 08-09 those jobs were getting $20k enlistment bonuses after MOS school
Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

just read all of your original post, as for MP not to sure for other branches but for the airforce SP's still have to go to the police academy---> meaning your tech school was worthless. as for computers i would see what you score on the asvab to see what you qualify for. you can look up different jobs online and if you need to practice your asvab they have a website for that too

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/ this is what i used to help with my crosstrain
Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

I was going to go into the military right out of high-school. I took the ASVAB's and scored a 96, and than took the Advanced Test and qualified for every field.

I ended up choosing Nuke. 6-year enlistment, 30,000 signing bonus, come out of basic training as an E-3. 2 out of 6 years would be at Charleston, SC for training. 4-year resigning bonus was 100,000.

Long story short, let my EX talk me out of it and got out of it a month before boot camp. Big mistake? Yes. I regret letting a relationship of 6 months ruin my future.

Now, I'm in an even more serious 2-year relationship and still thinking about joining. Whether back at Nuke, or AF for ATC or SF.

Quick Reply: Thinking about joining the Military