Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

depression

Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation depression

Don't know whats wrong with me but I feel super depressed all the time. I don't like to really do anything anymore or care about work. I can't sleep, I don't party like I used to, don't have the same relationship with my GF as I did before and I just feel like something isn't right. I recently returned from deployment, but didn't really see a bunch of crazy **** so I don't think it is PTSD related. Could it just be a transitioning thing? going from being over there to garrison life is a big change, and i've even gotten into trouble since I have been back. Non rec for promotion, page 11, and 6105 form. Usually that stuff bothers me but i just don't care and I should. I'm on the range this week, and today i was just shooting to shoot and usually qual is important. My whole attitude has changed, and it isn't normal for me. Anyone have experience with this, or any advice. I am going to talk to my MO sometime this week and try to go see s shrink.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Launching!

go talk to a doctor, you are obviously aware of the changes get some help. The longer you wait the worse its going to get.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

run it up the chain ASAP. when I was a team leader, that kind of **** was taken very seriously - not that you would do something immediately but the potential for a bad situation to erupt. If you feel you're not being taken seriously, go one billet higher

feel free to PM me if you need to talk
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being in a combat zone results in long-term fear and often a sense of life being a short term thing with a disregard for safety. So when you return your mind goes through a 'snap back' and depression results. Also while over seas you likely ha a sense that there was a meaningful purpose to your life and now back home, it seems less so. That depression IS in FACT a PTSD symptom. You have the same issue I do. I want you to think of it this way: You signed up to do and see those things over there so that the rest of the population wouldn't have to. You are NOT 'fucked up', what you feel is a NORMAL part of war and service. Talk to your chain of command if still in or contact the VA for help. Therapy helps more than medication. You're gonna be alright. Just keep your pack on and keep the feet movin.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys for the advice.....I'll talk to my MO this week and see if I can get an appt for therapy or something....SWIAT34, I think you hit the nail on the head. I loved being over there, had a blast actually getting to do my Job for an actual reason other than training. Now that I am back, garrison life seems pointless and its just not the same feeling as being over there. Thanks again for all the support.

Semper Fidelis
Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

ive never served but i suffer from significant depression, definitly dont wait it out, go see someone.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've experienced the same thing. It lasted for years. I'd highly suggest you see someone and get some pills cuz I never did.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

seen this **** first hand and seen what it can lead up to... get the help you need and get it soon... the longer you wait it out the worst it can get. take care of yourself and avoid being alone, be around people that make you feel good.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll do anything to help a fellow 0811. If you ever need to talk, don't be afraid to PM me your number. I'll talk or text and do what I can to help. Rah?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

same here... if you need some one to talk to, pm me as well... dont hesitate or be embarrassed to pm me or anyone.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:23 AM
NKAWTG...N

Definitely kick it up the chain or talk to a Chaplain.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i have one of the greatest easiest jobs in the 2mox2 world.. all i do all day is watch people work and tell/type/up channel what i watched.. then repeat.. but these past few days, weeks, months and years i'v slowly spiraled downhill. i was aware of my feelings and how my body was reacting but i didn't do anything about it but this past week i, for lack of better words broke down . i know i don't go down range and return lead but we all have our additional duties on top of our jobs... however one may look at it this week i felt the full weight of what i believe is others high expectations to fill the boots of a guy who PCS'ed, to pressure to know and perform as he did and know as much as he knew.. as well as the other 3 in the flight being taken out by injury or leave all at the same time leaving just myself, my boss and an army of butter bar LT's asking me for reports on the stuff i watching 10min. prior to me putting my foot through the threshold of the front door. to me the necktie got to tight and i cracked.. call me a *****, weak, or enter what ever verb you desire.. i cracked... i don't know if it's 10yr. syndrome with the added persevered expectations i put on myself to perform perfectly, home sickness due to family not giving two ***** about me or the fact that everything i enjoy keeps breaks /can't do because of unknown medical reasons... will i re-enlist? will the usaf let me re-enlist? i don't know.. DOS is 6Jan and the clock is ticking.. one thing i do know is monday i'm going to talk to someone and maybe they can shed some light on what's going on in my head... .. i don't even know if anything i said made any sense but i guess in the end it is what it is..... and no, i'm not thinking about hurting myself, i know i have more to live for... lots more going on up in my head but i don't want to put anyone to sleep if you/they even read this far
Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you're getting burnt out of the job on top of the high expectations of someone who was there a long while before you. I ALWAYS recommend reenlisting and you should consider it seriously. So you have two options: One change MOS...not always a bad idea. And/or speak to someone in our chain of command like an NCO/Staff NCO. First thing you need to change is YOUR mindset. You can only what you can do and only as fast and as well as YOU can do it. You will always be pressured by your bosses to do more faster than you can. You have to realize that you can't suddenly change and be super human. So relax a bit and just take your tasks one at a time. Don't think of ALL the things you have to do, just think of the FIRST thing you have to do. If people come up and give you more to do, put it in the back of your mind and keep focus on the thing you're doing even if it is clearing the door way or sipping your coffee! Your list should only change if there's a priority. If there's a fire, exiting the building should supersede all else. You are a professional and you do your job just fine. Tracking?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Well you're doing the most important thing, talking to someone.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

hell I dont care about my job anymore but thats cause im tired of working my *** off and jerkoffs that dont di **** get to move on to other bases and special duties and ive been trying for a special duty for 6 years but im to valuable to let go but not good enough to go and now I just dont care about anything anymore and im on my whay home from a 7 month trip only to go back in a few months right now I have over 900 somthing days deployed in 8 years

I always say that your supervisor makes or breaks your job and how you feel I filter as much as possible to my guys but i take alot of **** now
Old 10-02-2011, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am on my second deployment and I know how ya feel, 2 back to back ones its cost me 2 great relationships, its not uncommon to be in a funk once in a while you just got to get back adjusted and go talk to someone if you need to.

for me alot of it comes from not caring to much cause at any time something could happen and the less I care on deployment the less stress I have.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Launching!

you should definitely seek help from the docs, but you might just be burnt out on the military. we had a few guys with a similar issue to you. they just got out of the army and couldn't be happier now
Old 10-04-2011, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

I experienced the same after a year in Iraq. You go from a high stress, high adrenaline job back normal life in the states. I didn't want to be a work and found no joy in everyday things. Often wished I was back in theater. I thought something was wrong with me until i started talking to others I had deployed with. I called it a post-deployment funk. I agree with the others to go and find someone to talk to. I eventually got over it, but it took a while and unfortunately the AF sucked and post-deployment care for individuals. I was on my own in that nobody even asked or checked on me after self-identifying my issues on a post-deployment questionaire.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been out of the Marines since 2006 and out if Iraq since 2004...and in STILL in a post-deployment funk! LoL I miss the excitement, brotherhood, less "home stress!" But I have a family now and I'd definitely miss them while overseas. Anyone feel LESS safe just walking around Walmart by yourself but felt better walking on patrol back in the sandbox with your unit? That's how I feel. Having a concealed carry permit does wonders for my moral!

Search this Thread