Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Did anyone get any college while they where in??

Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone get any college while they where in??

Hey guy's im not really sure how to start this out, I've had my TA signed for about 6 months now i was just to much of a ***** to go through with it, i guess i was just scared of failure. but i've been doing alot of thinking lately and I'm now attempting to get back on track with this.
I would like to transition from active to reserves (part-time). but the only thing that would stop me from that is not having a degree. dont get me wrong i LOVE uncle sam but i just have something at home that need to be taken care of and its hard to do being gone, which is why im switching over to reserves so i can still continue working for him. I'm not going to rant on about my life so if you could help point me in the right direction i would appreciate it

1) I'm currently getting ready to deploy (AFGHAN), what online school's would you guys recommend.

2)does anyone know if i take an online class while im deployed if i can transfer to an actual walk in class?

3)I would like to invest my time while still have 2 years left after this deployment in obtaining my General studies. If i continue doing this online what school's are typically easier to transfer from. i play on attending Iowa state while i am home i understand i need to call them but im not really sure what im suppose to say to them or even ask them i know

but if you guys could give me any input on what you guys have done, it would help me out alot...
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Been in 21 yrs ... hit terminal leave in Sept...
I've knocked out Associates, Bachelors and Masters degrees while on active duty every time I set my mind to it. On-line school makes it much easier to do this while deploying around the world. Lots of choices depending on what you want to do... I would go here and ask around ... http://www.degreeinfo.com/forum.php ... lots of base career/education office people and current/retired mil folks in there... once you start going to school don't stop, don't make excuses, see your education office, come up with a plan and STFU and go do it! It is an investment that will pay for itself many many times over throughout your life...

1) I'm currently getting ready to deploy (AFGHAN), what online school's would you guys recommend.
Depends on what you want to do & the accreditation for the school/degree.

2)does anyone know if i take an online class while im deployed if i can transfer to an actual walk in class?

Depends on the schools accreditation ... look for schools that are regionally accredited in that case

3)I would like to invest my time while still have 2 years left after this deployment in obtaining my General studies. If i continue doing this online what school's are typically easier to transfer from. i play on attending Iowa state while i am home i understand i need to call them but im not really sure what im suppose to say to them or even ask them i know

See answer to #2, look at what you want to do and take courses that follow that degree plan...Iowa State is a regionally accredited school...take courses from any online/junior college/whatever that is also regionally accredited. Stuff like U of Phoenix or DeVry (while good education) aren't regionally accredited (nationally accredited) and normally won't transfer to an Iowa State or Michigan or Cal State university
Old 08-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

I am currently AD in the Air Force working on my Bachelors degree right now and more than 1/2 way through with it. I am going to a school called Ashford University. It is a really awesome school. In the Air Force they pay 100% for the tuition, is that the same for the Army? At Ashford they lower their tuition to $250 per semester hour (3 semester hours per cass) so that is $750 per class so we don't have to pay anything out of pocket, they also have a military book special where they are 100% free. I haven't had to pay for 1 book. The set up is very easy, 2 discussion boards per week with a quiz and usually 2 papers per class. The classes are also only 5 weeks long. They are very military friendly and will take any AIT credits or anything like that to go towards your degree. Good luck getting your education!

James
Old 08-19-2011, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

James, you'll find that most schools associated with the military are like that. If your willing to put in the time, you'll get your degree. I did it all: on-line, lunchtime, evening, weekend, telecourse, and cleps. Do what you have to. My one big piece of advice is to not to take a semester off. Just keep rolling to completion. Well worth it! Good Luck and Congrats!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did anyone get any college while they where in??