Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Dealing with injuries

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dealing with injuries

Just wanted to get everyone's take on this..

I have been in the military for right at 2 years now. I do not have a problem with completing any physical activities, 290 PT score as of last week, etc. For a while now(really since basic training) I have noticed that when wearing my IBA or rucksack(ruck marches are the worst) for a decent period of time that it absolutely kills my back for days. Since basic I have just sucked it up and brushed it off, as I never wanted to be on profile or labeled as one of "those guys". You all know what I mean. At first I thought it was just normal soreness, but after asking people how their back feels when doing these activities, and pushing it even more, I can tell that this is not normal, especially at my age(22).

So tomorrow I have the annual PHA. As usual, I had planned on telling them that all is well and I'm good to go. Well I started thinking about how stupid that is and that it will hurt me in the long run(a recently retired MSG that always gave me advice told me to make note of EVERYTHING before you retire/ETS). But at the same time, we have a warrior competition coming up that my 1SG wants me to sign up for, basically voluntold ..when I asked what all it involved today they told me "oh just a bunch of ruck marches and carrying heavy stuff". FML.

So what do I do? Get it checked out and probably get put on profile and attend several appointments, or drive on and continue to be a model Soldier that my command things I am?

Cliffs:
22, In shape, command gives me recognition for it
Severe back pain when wearing IBA or rucksack
Warrior competition coming up full of rucking and carrying heavy stuff, 1SG/CO wants me to compete
Don't want to want to cause permanent damage to my back, but don't want to be on profile and let down my 1SG/CO
Annual PHA tomorrow, spill the beans to the doc or suck it up and drive on?

Last edited by Tan327; 03-13-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get your back checked out ASAP. I have an E-5 in my company getting med boarded because he hurt his back and didn't get it checked out before it got worse.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best tell them now. See it too many times guys will dick themselves and end up worse or broke in the long run. Get it on paper, and it at all possible, taken care of. You do not get younger and the body from the abuse of the military does not heal as well, if at all, when you are older. Because you are all "Hooah" in your 1SG eyes, he needs to realize his soldier's health is numero uno. He should understand what is at risk if you are having these issues. Say you did the march, something tweeked in your back or neck, you fall and do more damage. There will always be more competitions, and more bragging Unit rights later on.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Appreciate the advice, are they any repercussions for telling them that I've known about it for a while but never had it checked out?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its ok, just word it carefully.

Ive been TNPQ for almost 2yrs due to a shoulder injury...should be back to full duty (I hope) by the summer
Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should not be any repercussions. Sooner the better.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Don't mess around or you could end up in a much worse case scenario.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went to do the PHA today, turns out my company SRP's next week so they literally told me that it would be a waste of mine and their time to PHA today, because next week I would have to do everything all over again. Makes sense. I also talked to my 1SG today, he cut the conversation pretty short but seemed fairly understanding about the situation.

Quick Reply: Dealing with injuries